Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-23, 12:08 PM  
bubbles76

Barbell - Yay or Nay?

I'm thinking of getting the following barbell with accessories:

So, yay or nay on getting a barbell? Anyone ever regret their barbell purchase or are you still actively using it? Anyone have any experience with the barbell or accessories?

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 01:07 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
are you still actively using it?
"actively using it" = the bane of vidiocy. i haven't been using them! but i should!

i love my barbells and body bars. my very first "barbell" was a curl bar that DH bought me. without plates, it's 12-15#... i forget. i have the Danskin barbell that came with lots of plates. the bar is padded. i also picked up a Danskin bench from a CL seller.

one tip is if you plan to load it with plates, make sure you have a rack because bending down to pick it up could cause back pain, even if you "squat to release/pick up your weights."

your links say that the bar alone is 25#. if you add any of the plates, you'll be lifting as much as 60# all together. you'll need a barbell rack, honestly. i'm referring to something like Cathe's Fit Tower.

on the rare occasion when i'm in a gym i spend a lot of time doing weighted squats and bench press with just the 45# bar. this is because there's large barbell racks that prevent me from having to bend down and pick up said bars.

i like my body bars - no need to fiddle with plates. when i bench press with the 25# body bar, i get DH or DS to spot me if they're around. this is because i don't have a rack. if not, i just use the 12#body bar and increase the reps.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 02:12 PM  
Mickey12

I haven't used mine in years. But I think part of that is I'm getting older and not interested in lifting so heavy any more. I only use dumbbells now.
Old 01-18-23, 02:25 PM  
red1013

Just got rid of mine last week after using it sporadically (for deadlifts/rows only) in the last 10 years.

Putting is across my back for squats was murder for my shoulder, and I was wary about using it for bench presses. I've got dumbells up to 35 lbs and that's fine for me.

I'm glad it and the too large weight lifting bench (that I got on clearance for $15 at Target years ago) are gone. Using the space for a new treadmill instead.
Old 01-18-23, 02:26 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks for your insight. I'm going to be 47 this year, and still interested in getting stronger. My knees may prevent me from doing a lot of squats and lunges, but I'm definitely looking forward to using it for hip thrusts, back work, etc.

And I have a fit tower
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 02:34 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have three barbells including the Firm Barbell, and the Body Pump Barbell, but the one I use most is a slightly curled one (which was also the cheapest). It seems easier to put on my back because I don't have to reach back as far when holding it as with a straight one. It's also more comfortable when doing barbell biceps curls.

This is a long way of saying to try and go to a store and see if you can try one and see how it feels.

You also don't have to buy a set. You can get the bar separately and then add plates as you need them.
Old 01-18-23, 02:45 PM  
warriorprincess

I use my barbell constantly, but I do have a squat rack. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. It keeps me strong.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 03:41 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Haven't used my Firm barbell in years. I do have a couple of Body Bars that I use occasionally. When the instructor uses a barbell, I use dumbbells.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 04:48 PM  
bergame
VF Supporter

A definite yay vote here. You will get a lot of use out of it on your strength journey and find that, for particular exercises, the bar encourages good form in a way that dumbbells can't always do. (To be fair, the reverse is true too.)

Still using my Firm barbell from 1980s. I'm perpetually impressed that the foam pad hasn't turned to dust.

I've been seriously tempted - by Les Mills' bar, by Cathe's new bar - but love the Firm bar's shorter length, about 45". As a small person, I like how the shorter bar keeps the weight nearer to my body and center of gravity...feels more stable than the longer bars in the gym.

Let us know what you decide!
bergame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-23, 05:39 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

I have the TKO Cardio Pump set and the pretty colored plates was the draw for me, but I honestly don't use it that much. Sure, if I'm doing a Cathe workout (and she's using a barbell) I'll get it out. But, my Bodybars are much more convenient, as well as being more comfortable on my shoulders. I don't have a padded collar.

It really depends on your goals and what type of strength training or instructors you tend to use. And, also your age plays a factor. I'm over 60 and have been doing less intense workouts. My "heavy" lifting is not that heavy and never comes anywhere near what Cathe lifts.

I ordered Cathe's STS 2.0 and do think that will motivate me once again to drag it out, but again "fully loaded" will be what I'm comfortable lifting on any given day.

ETA: When I got my barbell set, I was in a Les Mills Body Pump phase, also!

April Focus:
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbell, barbells, danskin, firm barbell