Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-23, 08:35 PM  
BunnyHop

Oh, yes! I totally forgot that I don't shampoo every day. My routine has been so routine I hardly notice it any more.

I wash my hair maybe three times a week? I'd bet that plays a role for me, but honestly, I get good results on wash day with FOB. Things aren't too flyaway.

The Function of Beauty conditioner and leave in seem to work well for me.
I'm not all that convinced that the deep conditioner does much, but it certainly doesn't cause problems.
Old 01-27-23, 09:21 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for all of the replies! Unfortunately I can't skip washing my hair - it makes my facial skin feel greasy and my hair limp and oily. I have tried things to minimize washing, such as using less shampoo, concentrating on the roots near my forehead, and sometimes co-washing on the weekends.

Anna, I checked out the line you mentioned. It would be pretty hard to order b/c there's no way to indicate hair that is both fine and coarse - that's my issue. Plus I don't want to pay that much for hair products.

Sherry I kind of have tried to do that with shampooing; it does help some. I also have needed a lot more conditioner as I get older, even before the grays.

Fatkat, I've tried sulfate-free, and it doesn't really seem to make a difference for me either way. Interesting that Head & Shoulders leaves your hair soft! Do you use anything in particular from that line?

Linda, I have a couple of spray in conditioners that I'm using now, but neither seems to be making much of a difference. I even sometimes spritz my hair with them before I get in the shower but it doesn't seem to be helping. I haven't given up though.

I have tried a few deep conditioners that help, but I don't have 20 minutes every day to leave conditioner on my hair! Another conditioner that seems to really work for me is L'Oreal Paris EverStrong Thickening Conditioner (which does happen to be sulfate-free), but it's pretty pricey for a small tube, so I don't feel like it can be an everyday product, especially given that I seem to need a lot (weirdly since I don't have a lot of hair!).

I was at the grocery store tonight and they had this big bottle of TRESemme conditioner on sale, so I picked it up - it has good reviews, and since it's a huge bottle I can use a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/TRESemm%C3%A9...dp/B08PCNMBYX/

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-23, 06:56 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
I recently tried switching shampoo to sulfate free and all… Nope, I’m back to my Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner. I’m growing out my hair and I have white stripes along my face with stripes underneath. My hair has gotten more wavy as time has gone by and I just prefer the way the Head and Shoulders stuff makes my hair soft. Don’t know if this helps….
I have to plug Head & Shoulders as well - and I have the type of hair that one would probably think H&S would be a disaster for (curly). But, I do have my best hair days when I use H&S - I use it with a deeper conditioner. I haven't tried using H&S daily, I use it a few times a week - with a deeper conditioner and my hair always looks great on those days.

I haven't used it more frequently b/c I'm afraid of drying out my hair - but maybe I should.

My DD has wavy hair and she uses H&S every time she washes her hair (about every other day - I really need to at least wet my hair every day to re-set my curls). She uses the Vanicream/Free & Clear conditioner with the H&S.

I have been having some very strange, as in seemingly unprovoked skin sensitivity lately so I have been using the Vanicream Shampoo and Conditioner on the days I don't use H&S (I am currently using the Aussie 3 Min Miracle on the days I use H&S). And I like both of those products. I am thinking of going all in on Vanicream for all my skincare b/c at the moment my skin is having fits. Weird breakouts, redness, sensitivity...ugh.

So, another plug for H&S - they have some different formulas - so maybe one of them may work. My DD just uses the "classic clean" but it looks like they offer some formulas that may be less drying.

Anyway - coming from a curly person, I realize this goes against the grain of the sulfate free school of thought.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-23, 07:03 AM  
donnamp

I have another semi-related beauty question -

I have been working from home now for almost 3 years, and mainly wearing comfy athletic clothes, cozy sweats, etc.

All this has sort of left me out of the loop about what is fashionable to wear out - like to a regular business meeting or some semi-formal event.

I mean I go out but I mainly wear jeans and/or a version of my comfy wear - to run errands, go out to dinner, etc.

But - what to wear for those occasions that are more formal?

I guess my question comes down to this - where you do you find clothes for a middle-aged (I'm in my 50's) woman that look stylish, (not frumpy, stuffy or old), but don't look like you have raided your 20 year old's closet? I mean I don't want to dress "old" but I don't want to look like I'm trying to dress like a teen-ager either b/c I'm obviously not one.

Advice?

Donna
Old 01-28-23, 08:50 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I guess my question comes down to this - where you do you find clothes for a middle-aged (I'm in my 50's) woman that look stylish, (not frumpy, stuffy or old), but don't look like you have raided your 20 year old's closet? I mean I don't want to dress "old" but I don't want to look like I'm trying to dress like a teen-ager either b/c I'm obviously not one.
Two apps/sites I like are StitchFix and Bluefly. With SF, you get a periodic box of clothes to try based on your style preferences and communication with a personal stylist, and you keep what you like and return what you don't. I get a SF box every three months, and it has given me an up-to-date work wardrobe that is age appropriate, fits my style preferences, isn't too expensive, and frees me from decision paralysis when I try to shop without help. Let the algorithms work for you, I say! While I don't always find winners in each box, I more than often keep either the whole thing or almost all of it. It helps if you tell your stylist through preference notes what types of clothes you're looking for. You can also order individual pieces between boxes, which I've done a few times to get repeats of things I like in different colors or stuff you're unlikely to get in a regular box, like outerwear and underwear.

For fancier clothes, if I have a formal or semi-formal event, I use Bluefly. They sell designer ready-to-wear (including evening gowns and cocktail dresses) at deep discounts, as well as more casual stuff. I don't use them often, but that's always my go-to when I have some kind of gala or wedding or something. In terms of going age appropriate, I think it comes down to what you think highlights your best features and conceals what you want to conceal, so for me for example I don't wear miniskirts anymore or things with plunging backs or even very low cut in front (I'm 47 and fairly modest to a fault). I take current measurements and make sure I think the item will fit well, and certainly you can always take something to get altered if it doesn't. Order well enough in advance that you can return things if they don't work or get them altered. But I've gotten things, for example, like a long evening gown from a designer name for under $200 when it retailed originally for 500-1K. They're probably technically out of season and from older collections, but for a lot of evening wear the looks are pretty classic anyway so they won't appear woefully dated or anything. I still have at least three dresses I got there that I would absolutely wear today without hesitation, and I probably got them at various points in the last 15 years.

ETA: Another good site for comfortable clothes that feel like athleisure but are appropriate for either work, casual outings, or even fancier occasions is BetaBrand. They are now all I wear for pants for work, because they have dress pants and jeans that feel like yoga pants. I also WFH from 2019 to 2021, and I got VERY used to leggings, so when I went back to work in person BB was an absolute godsend!
Old 01-28-23, 08:58 AM  
donnamp

Thanks Kat! Stitch Fix sounds like a good option for me. I don't need a ton of "semi-formal" (I'm not sure what the term is - something more than jeans/sweats but not quite fancy- I guess business casual) clothing as I don't go in the office at all - and even if we end up going in on some level I don't expect it will be daily - i'm thinking 1-2X per week so SF may give me enough to wear for those times when I need to look more presentable and up to date.

The other sites sound good, too, especially Betabrand. I'm all about comfort.

I also hate shopping for clothes, so SF sounds really appealing to me.

Donna
Old 01-28-23, 09:09 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
dress pants and jeans that feel like yoga pants.
Heaven! Will be looking..

ETA: The pants that fit me the best are from NY & Co but they pill. You haven't found that with these pants have you Kat?
Old 01-28-23, 09:53 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Donna, I will probably look into H&S next time I need shampoo! I think the wiry grays kind of put me into the "curly girl" category even though I've been straight all my life.

My mom tried SF and liked the service, although I don't think she stuck with it. On the totally opposite end of things, have you considered a thrift store like Goodwill? It might seem like that's more on the "frumpy" side, but I've actually gotten all of my better brands there! Some of the "Goodwill" brands I like best are Ann Taylor Loft, Coldwater Creek, and J Jill - I've never bought any of their clothing in stores. I don't dress up often, but I've also had good luck finding nice dresses when I've need them for occasions.

Working at a college, I dress pretty casual all the time, and I definitely have stretchy pants that work for both yoga and for work! (It helps that I teach yoga 1 day/week on campus.) I wear a lot of cardigans to work, which I think can make you look a bit more business-like but still be casual and comfy.

Buffmama, I did actually used to shop at NY & Co but haven't for years - that used to be my favorite store! In fact I was wearing knit pants from there yesterday that I still like, but you're right, they do pill. :/

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-23, 10:17 AM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
The pants that fit me the best are from NY & Co but pill. You haven't found that with these pants have you Kat?
Have had no pilling problems with BetaBrand, and I wear them literally every single day; I have five pairs that I rotate (3 of the bootcut dress pants, and 2 of the jeans). The dress pants aren't supposed to be put in the dryer, so I hang them on a drying rack, but I have sometimes gone ahead and machine dried them if I'm in a laundry emergency. I think the fact that I almost always air dry them has helped them last longer, though.
Old 01-28-23, 10:47 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Have had no pilling problems with BetaBrand, and I wear them literally every single day; I have five pairs that I rotate (3 of the bootcut dress pants, and 2 of the jeans). The dress pants aren't supposed to be put in the dryer, so I hang them on a drying rack, but I have sometimes gone ahead and machine dried them if I'm in a laundry emergency. I think the fact that I almost always air dry them has helped them last longer, though.
thank you!

Tags
2023, 2023 beauty, beauty, beauty products, beauty thread, beauty thread 2023, beauty tips, hair products, off topic, off-topic