Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-23, 02:12 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post

Lori - thank you for those sites - I realize that a big problem I have is not having a plan. More on this in the "resolutions" thread, but I realize that I need to plan and organize more...I always resisted those concepts b/c they feel stifling to me, but I think in the end some planning and some organization actually does create more freedom (and better chances of success!)

Donna
I meal plan for two weeks ahead, sometimes longer if I'm really with it. It takes the guesswork out of it. Same with workouts. I also then sometimes just use the same meal plan for the next two weeks and no one remembers that I made it two weeks earlier! I also tend to keep to the same type of dish on the same day of the week, again just for simplicity. So Mondays are chicken, Tuesdays are red meat, Wednesdays are pork, Thursdays are soup/sandwich/salad, Fridays are leftovers (no one in my house has *ever* picked up on this!). Some weeks are all vegetarian, so those would be Monday meat substitute, Tuesdays lentils/beans, Wednesdays whole grains casserole, Thursday veggie fajitas, Fridays leftovers. Not too much of anything and all balanced meals throughout the week. On repeat!

I buy veggies for lunches and at least one side veggie for each dinner. I prep the lunch veggies every Sunday. The more that I don't have to think about it during the week, the better!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 02:16 PM  
donnamp

Thanks, Lori - that is really helpful! I think planning will also cut down on food waste, which was bad enough but OMG, the prices of food these days - just can't afford to toss stuff out b/c i forgot to use it or didn't plan for it, etc.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 10:19 PM  
bubbles76

So many great suggestions, thanks! Hmm...looks like it might be Hello Fresh or Green Chef, supplemented by some websites. I'll take a look at Green Chef first to see if any of the recipes look good.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 02:32 AM  
sherry7899

I follow this woman on you tube. Her videos are sponsored by Green Chef. You can see her preparing some of them in her videos. She is real and hysterical �� in her quest to become healthier.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NWL0K2tRCKQ&t=1s

There are many reviews of them on you tube:

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAE...tarian+reviews

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 12:26 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Has anyone found a vegan yogurt they like? I may just stick with regular plain low fat Greek yogurt . I tried a coconut milk based yogurt (So delicious) and did not like it. Luckily Grocery Outlet had them for only 50 cents a cup so I did not waste a lot of money. I mainly eat steel cut oats for breakfast but like yogurt sometimes.
In the last year I have decreased the amount of meat that I eat. I mostly eat 1 vegan meal and one vegetarian meal each day. I actually like So delicious yogurt but there is another brand of coconut based yogurt called Cocojune if you want to try that one. There are some other yogurts out there that are not coconut based but the names escape me right now.
I have also added regular greek yogurt back into my diet since it does contain protein. I wanted to reduce my cholesterol level without medecine and I did succeed but I am now eating some vegetarian meals instead of all vegan before 6pm.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 12:53 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks Hsim. I noticed the coconut and almond milk yogurt are really low in protein. I may stick.with plain Greek since I don't eat it all the time. If I find the cashew yogurt I will try it.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 02:48 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I meal plan for two weeks ahead, sometimes longer if I'm really with it. It takes the guesswork out of it. Same with workouts. I also then sometimes just use the same meal plan for the next two weeks and no one remembers that I made it two weeks earlier! I also tend to keep to the same type of dish on the same day of the week, again just for simplicity. So Mondays are chicken, Tuesdays are red meat, Wednesdays are pork, Thursdays are soup/sandwich/salad, Fridays are leftovers (no one in my house has *ever* picked up on this!). Some weeks are all vegetarian, so those would be Monday meat substitute, Tuesdays lentils/beans, Wednesdays whole grains casserole, Thursday veggie fajitas, Fridays leftovers. Not too much of anything and all balanced meals throughout the week. On repeat!

I buy veggies for lunches and at least one side veggie for each dinner. I prep the lunch veggies every Sunday. The more that I don't have to think about it during the week, the better!
Following this thread with great interest. I have no desre to actually do Keto, or any plan full on, because its just too stressfull, but I have to stay away from grains and rice (I do eat potatoes here and there). Just very sensitive blood sugars and food allergies. Anyway, I need to pin the above post to my fridge or something. Even that sounds like it takes so much stress out. A lot f nights its just too overwhelming and I tell everyone they are on their own or can fix a can of soup. I really want to do much better with it this year. Everyone would do so much better if well fueled.

That Green Chef looks awesome if we can swing the price for a bit. (We've been using grubhub more often lately, so I don't see how the price would be much different). I looked at Hello Fresh a while ago because so many people I follow on youtube recommend it. I need to look back at it again. Grateful to Bubbles for starting this thread and all the people with great ideas!!

ETA: Does anyone else notice fresh food at the store going bad a lot quicker? Am I imagining it? Its like they are flash freezing it or something and by the next day that drawer from the fridge is nasty.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 03:29 PM  
buffmama

A similar idea is a menu planner where you buy the ingredients. Most are customizable. Vegan ones I know of are Happy Herbivore + Forks over Knives. Happy Herbs are very basic recipes and you'll reuse ingredients throughout the week thereby cooking less.
Old 01-03-23, 03:58 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
A lot f nights its just too overwhelming and I tell everyone they are on their own or can fix a can of soup.
Bingo, that's why I started getting out ahead of it. I work from home but gosh some nights I'm not done in time to get a balanced meal on the table for a family unless I planned ahead of time. It just wasn't happening.

In addition to the Eating Well and Real Food Dieticians websites that I listed up the thread that have meal planning and grocery lists, I also use:
--Plain Chicken, simple and straight forward but some dishes aren't that healthy, so I use these like once every few weeks to make my picky teenager happy: https://www.plainchicken.com/
-- The Kitchn, meal plans and lists: https://www.thekitchn.com/
-- Blue Zones, for when I really have my stuff together! https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/

Honestly, my family has never once caught on to the sameness of each week! It has saved me countless hours of planning and shopping and food going to waste.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 05:12 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
Bingo, that's why I started getting out ahead of it. I work from home but gosh some nights I'm not done in time to get a balanced meal on the table for a family unless I planned ahead of time. It just wasn't happening.

In addition to the Eating Well and Real Food Dieticians websites that I listed up the thread that have meal planning and grocery lists, I also use:
--Plain Chicken, simple and straight forward but some dishes aren't that healthy, so I use these like once every few weeks to make my picky teenager happy: https://www.plainchicken.com/
-- The Kitchn, meal plans and lists: https://www.thekitchn.com/
-- Blue Zones, for when I really have my stuff together! https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/

Honestly, my family has never once caught on to the sameness of each week! It has saved me countless hours of planning and shopping and food going to waste.
This is awesome!! Thankyou!!! Pat yourself on the back for your brilliant and efficient sneakiness!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, food delivery, green plate, hello fresh, meal delivery, meal planning, off topic, off-topic, vegetarian cookbooks