Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-23, 09:58 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
My neighbor has been using https://www.factor75.com/. He says the food is great and he and his wife have lost quite a bit weight.
Oh I saw this flash across on of my social media feeds but I forgot the name. I don't like clicking on links directly from social media pages. I will check them out. Thanks!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 10:04 AM  
donnamp

Sherry -

I have not found a vegan yogurt that I like, unfortunately! I also struggled to find a coffee creamer that I liked that was non-dairy (I currently use whole milk or half and half in my coffee). This one, however, wasn't bad:

https://www.vitacost.com/nutpods-non...er-unsweetened

Thanks for posting about Dr. Gregor's app - I think that is something I could use. I hate tracking that is overly complicated. I am not sure I could get in 3 servings of beans either!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 10:20 AM  
owltx

Sherry - have you tried Forager yogurt? That is a vegan yogurt I really like. It is cashew based, and has a smooth texture/flavor.

Bubbles - We tried Sunbasket for a bit. We really liked them - good food, lots of nice choices (they had more veggie options than a lot we looked at), their "speedy" choices were actually speedy, and their packaging was minimally wasteful. All that said - they are, I feel, more pricey than some (which is why we only did them for a bit). So that may be where it doesn't tick all your boxes.
Old 01-02-23, 10:28 AM  
owltx

Forget to add -

For cookbooks:

If you have an instant pot: The Fresh and Healthy Instant Pot. Not completely vegetarian, but most recipes that have meat have vegetarian substitute ideas. These are are easy and tasty.

The Meatless Monday cookbook This does not have a tone of recipes, but i have found it is a great little cookbook for easier lunches and dinners that DH and DS will like.
Old 01-02-23, 11:11 AM  
sherry7899

The site Detoxinista has a lot of vegetarian recipes.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 12:19 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by owltx View Post
Sherry - have you tried Forager yogurt? That is a vegan yogurt I really like. It is cashew based, and has a smooth texture/flavor.
Seconding Forager yogurt, although it can be pricey.

Trader Joe's has fantastic non-dairy yogurts, and they aren't as pricey. Almond, cashew, and coconut milks are at my local TJ's.

Not a meal service but for meal inspiration, I like The Real Food Dieticians (https://therealfooddietitians.com/) and Eating Well (https://www.eatingwell.com/) for weekly free meal plans and shopping lists. I have a picky eater (still picky even though a senior in high school!!) and these recipes have really helped me incorporate more veggies in everyday meals.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 01:12 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Sherry -

I have not found a vegan yogurt that I like, unfortunately! I also struggled to find a coffee creamer that I liked that was non-dairy (I currently use whole milk or half and half in my coffee). This one, however, wasn't bad:

https://www.vitacost.com/nutpods-non...er-unsweetened

Thanks for posting about Dr. Gregor's app - I think that is something I could use. I hate tracking that is overly complicated. I am not sure I could get in 3 servings of beans either!

Donna
I like Chobani Extra Creamy Oat Milk in my coffee. Other oat milks are too watery. It's probably pretty high in calories too, but milk doesn't seem to agree with me, and this is fine.
Old 01-02-23, 01:55 PM  
donnamp

Sherry -thanks for that recommendation!

Lori - thank you for those sites - I realize that a big problem I have is not having a plan. More on this in the "resolutions" thread, but I realize that I need to plan and organize more...I always resisted those concepts b/c they feel stifling to me, but I think in the end some planning and some organization actually does create more freedom (and better chances of success!)

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 02:04 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I haven't read all these answers but my husband and I are big fans of Blue Apron. The meals are delicious but more importantly, it really expanded my palette and turned me into a much more confident cook. For years, we did it every week. Now we do it about once a month and are never disappointed.
Old 01-02-23, 02:05 PM  
kat999

We used Hello Fresh for years and also tried Dinnerly (not great quality), Home Chef, and now we use Green Chef, and it's my favorite.

Green Chef is from the same company as Hello Fresh, so if you've tried them before, it'll be somewhat familiar. It's a little more expensive, but it's almost all organic (every once in a while you'll get maybe ONE vegetable a month that has a disclaimer card in the box that says "This onion is conventional" or something). But unless you get one of those due to supply things, everything is organic.

You can extremely easily have a fully vegan, vegetarian, or flexitarian menu, and can even do fully vegan gluten free without much fuss, which is pretty rare and great IMO. I started out doing all vegan gluten free but now I do a mix of vegetarian, Mediterranean, fish, and poultry, while trying to make 2/3 of the week meat-free.

Unlike other meal kits, there is very little prep. A lot comes pre-diced. You'll maybe have one vegetable to chop and then everything is already ready in its own bag. They also don't usually make you also make sauce; the sauces and dressings already come in their own bags.

Now, for this level of quality and convenience, it is pricier than other plans. I feel like when we had HF for two people it was around $70-80 a week, whereas Green Chef is about $90/week, so we actually only get it every other week.

I've really grown to like it, though, mostly due to how much faster it is to make a meal. HF would regularly take up to an hour, whereas the average GC meal tends to top out at 40 minutes.

I'm really pleased with them, and plan to keep making them a part of my healthy eating goals for the new year.

Tags
cooking, food delivery, green plate, hello fresh, meal delivery, meal planning, off topic, off-topic, vegetarian cookbooks