Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-23, 01:14 PM  
bubbles76

Need Foodie Inspiration - Food Delivery Service?

Happy New Year vidiots! Not sure if I asked this question before, but I'm ready to commit this year. Makes it easier because Big Bubble is on board.

I'm ready to subscribe to a food delivery plan for inspiration. There are so many options - Hello Fresh, Green Plate, Hungry Root, etc. I would like a plan with the following:
  • Simple, quick, easy to cook recipes
  • Variety of options, but focusing on vegetarian.
  • Fresh ingredients.
  • Financially affordable. Okay, I know that is subjective, but I'd like to be able to feed lunch and dinner for a family of three for less than $200 week.

I don't plan to stick with this long term, but I am looking for cooking inspiration. I figure if I like what they send me then I can replicate at home. If I don't, I won't have a cupboard full of ingredients I'll never use again.

Also, if you have suggestions for websites or vegetarian cookbooks I'd love that too.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 07:15 AM  
donnamp

Bumping - I'm interested, too.

Bubbles - I can help w/ some websites, though!

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/

https://rainbowplantlife.com/

https://ohsheglows.com/recipe-search/
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 07:30 AM  
sherry7899

Donna , I was just watching the you tube channel for the creator of Rainbow Plant Life yesterday

this site is vegan. The creator has two kids, so the recipes are more child friendly.

https://theconscientiouseater.com/

Another vegan site:

https://plantbasedonabudget.com/

I am going to try to cut back on animal products. I know you are looking for vegetarian, not vegan but maybe take a look. I need to cut back on cheese which I love.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 07:39 AM  
sherry7899

Has anyone found a vegan yogurt they like? I may just stick with regular plain low fat Greek yogurt . I tried a coconut milk based yogurt (So delicious) and did not like it. Luckily Grocery Outlet had them for only 50 cents a cup so I did not waste a lot of money. I mainly eat steel cut oats for breakfast but like yogurt sometimes.

Old 01-02-23, 07:45 AM  
ellaenchanted

Definitely check out the reddit group Meal Kits r/mealkits. Lots of information on different services.

I do Hello Fresh and love it and have been able to get the family to eat more vegetarian meals. I wish the prep was quicker, I also tried EveryPlate which is the lower budget service by Hello Fresh. I really like EP too but it lacked the variety of HF but the recipes were trimmed down so they were faster to cook. I do think HF has more flavor than EP meals but EP is still good.

I tried Home Chef becaus ethey have low prep and quick meals but, in my opinion, they were awful. No one liked them so I canceled after 2 (maybe 3) boxes,

I hear good things about Gobble in terms of tasty meals and lower prep time.

So far the services were easy to use and easy to cancel or pause.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 09:05 AM  
Demeris

I haven't used this, but I've been eyeing it for a while:

https://nutritionforlongevity.com/co...ons/meal-plans
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 09:13 AM  
sherry7899

As far as healthy eating (hope it's okay to post) I am trying Dr. Greger's Daily Dozen. There is an app you can download for your phone and check off each item for the day. It is really just a reminder for me to stick to heathier choices. I am not going to obsess over it. I will have trouble getting in three servings of beans every day-that would mean eating beans/hummus at lunch and dinner, and that likely will not happen.

Old 01-02-23, 09:29 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I really enjoyed HelloFresh! The recipes were great, and I actually learned how to cook better. The reason I canceled is that I am allergic to soy (which means I cannot eat poultry as they are fed soymeal - cheap food) and I'm trying to avoid wheat. So it ended up that I ate a lot of beef and pork, which was fine to a point. But more importantly, I couldn't swap out grains. So if I picked a Mexican-type meal, I'd always get flour tortillas. If there were options to swap for corn, beans & legumes, or other grains, I would've kept with them.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 09:45 AM  
sbh

My neighbor has been using https://www.factor75.com/. He says the food is great and he and his wife have lost quite a bit weight.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-23, 09:56 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I read this with interest because I want to try another service after testing one before the holidays. My eating has been terrible and we waste an obscene amount of food in our house.

I asked my trainer for a recommendation in November and she told me several of her clients like Real Eats. I tried it and didn't care for most of the meals that I selected. With the exception of one chicken dish (which was really good) I did not like the main courses with shrimp or beef. Some were just "meh" and others were awful. The side vegetable dishes were good. I have one of their meals still in my freezer that I haven't tried. They have vegetarian, Mediterranean diet and Paleo/Keto options.
Another thing that I did not like was they sent the package with cold packs that I could not return for re-use. I have so many already and I hate throwing stuff out.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, food delivery, green plate, hello fresh, meal delivery, meal planning, off topic, off-topic, vegetarian cookbooks