Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-23, 02:39 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

For me, it's increasing my cardio capacity. I'm a solid intermediate with weights and Pilates, but I fall behind on cardio because of a bad foot and ankle which makes me dread it. I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds, but it's not a huge priority
Old 01-05-23, 07:44 PM  
CharM

Continue to exercise at least 5 times a week, with at least one dance workout or one 'brain boosting' walk from Jessica, and one total body workout each week.

Eat more veggies. I do ok here, but there's always room for improvement.

Less "doomscrolling". I didn't even know there was a name for it until I saw someone mention it. I wouldn't say that what I do is excessive, but if it's there on a Yahoo home page, I'll click. And then click another, and before I know it 10 minutes have passed and I've been reading horror stories. But I am aware and that's a start, so when I catch myself I close that page and watch animals on YouTube.

More praying and/or meditating. I recently started doing these two again, but I'd like to stay consistent. I know it's good for my mind and heart.
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-23, 09:53 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

I don't make special "new year's plans" (or similar plans for any other Supposedly Special Time of Year ), but I've been thinking of some things lately.

- I've been having multiple problems that interfere significantly with my health, fitness, and daily functioning. (I am fairly private and prefer not to elaborate.) I'm cautiously optimistic that medical treatments later this month--one a relatively invasive treatment for one problem, one a continuing treatment for another--will help alleviate them. I'll see later what I'm able to do and what I'm medically cleared to do, but I want to rebuild my strength, endurance, mobility, balance, and general ability to move.

- Some specific interests:

-- I hope to resume strength training and have some ideas for what I may try, health permitting.
-- Tai chi has interested me for some time for its health benefits. I'm especially interested in learning a specific form.
-- There are finally more promising Pilates resources that align with my personal principles (see below).
-- I have some ideas for further explorations in yoga.
-- I also have other interests in body-related practices (like a particular "relaxation" technique) that aren't directly fitness-related but have beneficial physiological and other effects that I hope will enhance my fitness experiences and my overall health.

- With increased energy, increased ability to read, decreased discomfort, and other changes, I also hope to learn more about those "personal principles."

A number of things have bothered me about the fitness world (and related areas) for over 20 years. In recent years, though, many people (mostly outside VF) have been discussing and actively opposing those things. Although the overall change hasn't been as smooth or as fast as I would've liked, there are increasing numbers of fitnesss programs, instructors, and products aligned with what I prefer to see, use, support, and buy.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-23, 09:12 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

I spent most of the pandemic walking, which was great but really made me lose cardio and strength ability--at a time right after menopause so not great. My goal for the past six months at least has been to regain that fitness. I've really been hitting the weights and only walk on days when I really don't feel like working out or have to work out early in the day. I can feel such a difference and I'm already back up to three big girl pushups (my max EVER was 16).

My other goal is really trying to go through my workouts and prune. At 58, I'm telling myself it's okay to admit that I just don't like a workout enough to reach for it and I don't have to because, at 58, there are also no more rainy days lol. I particularly have a lot of DVD recordings and it's gratifying to just toss them out. So it's like a Dust Bunny challenge but with a real purpose.

DonnaH

Tags
fitness goals, goals, new year goals, new year resolutions, resolutions