Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-22, 10:42 PM  
bfit

My experience and that of other people I know is that many people have arthritis in various joints that can be seen on an x ray, but arthritis does not always cause pain and may not be the cause of the pain you are having. A friend of mine found out she had a torn meniscus with an MRI, but the x ray showed only arthritis. A podiatrist told me based on an x ray that my problem was arthritis, but an MRI showed I had a stress fracture and when that healed I did not have any more pain. I think it's a good choice to ask for the MRI.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 03:01 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfit View Post
My experience and that of other people I know is that many people have arthritis in various joints that can be seen on an x ray, but arthritis does not always cause pain and may not be the cause of the pain you are having. A friend of mine found out she had a torn meniscus with an MRI, but the x ray showed only arthritis. A podiatrist told me based on an x ray that my problem was arthritis, but an MRI showed I had a stress fracture and when that healed I did not have any more pain. I think it's a good choice to ask for the MRI.
Wow, I'm glad you had an MRI so you could get the correct treatment for your stress fracture. My mother was taking Fosamax for osteopena and started having a harder and harder time walking. She was also shrinking in height. Her doctor prescribed more doses of the pain killer she was taking instead of sending her to get x-rays. She ended up breaking her hip; the surgeon said it was a side effect of the Fosamax, which starts to reverse in some people. She did recover from the broken hip, but the fact that she couldn't get around very well lowered the quality of her life.

Thanks for the support and advice!

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-22, 03:10 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

I have been doing the walks of life workouts exclusively for my cardio these days and some of them are much better than the other ones. The titles don't really mean anything unless it says the number of steps in it. The basic premise is the same. My knee feels better, but I still can't squat and I don't dare try step. Hopefully, an MRI will reveal some other problem that can be fixed.

Old 01-14-23, 07:43 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

An update on my knee

Well, after modifying & not doing step aerobics for a few weeks, my knees feel much better. I stopped taking the mobic medicine to see if that was what was making my knees better, and I am happy to report that it hadn't made a difference. I started doing squats again, & that seems fine. I have also started doing step again, trying to modify when necessary, & I have mixed results. I did Cathe's Step heat on Tuesday, & my left knee hurt the next day, but the pain didn't last.

I went back to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday & after I told him my knees felt much better, he basically blamed everything on the arthritis in my knees. I told him I still had pain on the outside of my right knee, & he manipulated my leg into different positions, twists, etc. & said that because I didn't feel pain, it wasn't my meniscus.

I don't think I fully informed him that the pain came upon suddenly, as if I had been injured. I did mention being able to do step aerobics like I used to & he just said that he would try to get back to as much as possible. I don't have a follow up appointment. It would have been nice to get an MRI, but I guess that's not going to happen anytime soon. I think that at my next primary care appointment, I will have the opportunity to ask her opinion.

For now, I am going to try to recuperate my knees on my own & try to build as much strength & endurance as possible. I have been sort of lazy with my strength workouts, but just doing basic moves without anything to actually challenge my legs, like in video workouts with pulsing, etc.

I will say that I have almost always had mixed feelings about doing tap outs. I have a long torso and it is hard for me to bend my standing leg down in that position. So, with me modifying a lot of moves, I came up with a modification that I like--simple side leg lifts.

I hope everyone else is having good luck with their knees, etc.

Tags
knee friendly, knee injuries, knee injury, knee pain, youtube channels