Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-22, 10:11 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

The Hit for me was Cathe's Push Pull set. I know it's a few years old, but I really felt it met my needs.

For heavier lower body work, I liked Caroline Girvan Iron workouts on You Tube, tho I didn't do the whole rotation.

The Misses were some Yoga workouts that were simply too extreme for me.
Old 12-30-22, 11:23 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I haven't purchased any new media but Yoga with Kassandra continues to be a hit for me. I've loved most of her new videos all year.

I also very much enjoy her book, A Year of Yoga.

I also subscribed to Ellen's website for a few months and will do so again. Very much enjoyed most of the workouts I tried.

No misses!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-22, 02:32 PM  
ellaenchanted

I have perennial favorites so I will just leave them off since I mention them enough in my general posts. These are what I focused on this past year.

Hits:
Lift with Cee- I love her style of heavier lifting and her personality. I notice improvements in strength in a short time with her programs.

BurpeeGirl- love her basic but varied walking style workouts.

On the Fence:
Walking Online Workouts- just subscribed with $100/year special.
Some of th music is good but a lot is also just electronica type remixes of popular songs and some songs just repeat a couple lines or a beat over and over. The sound quality can be poor for some videos. I appreciate the basic moves so it is truly a walking workout which I love but her transitions are choppy which is weird for such basic choreography. I like that there are many workouts with of nice outdoor scenery. Overall, for paid content I think production quality should be improved when compared to other paid workout apps/streaming at similar pricing. I decided to keep it for the year but seriously considered canceling before the free trial week was up.

Caroline Girvan- I know it is an unpopular opinion but I find her programs/workouts repetitive especially the cardio/HIIT. And, they always seem higher rep instead of lower reps I prefer for heavier, strength focused training. I did Iron and it was fine though I bailed the last week of the program. Right after, I did Lift with Cee's MBF program and was lifting heavier and regaining strength much more quickly.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 11:54 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Hits
-short kettlebell workouts, especially Lauren Brooks and ZCUT
-short Pilates workouts, especially Jessica Valent and SeniorShape. Better posture was a goal this year so even the gentler ones have really helped make progress here.
-rediscovering running with Jill Angie at Not Your Average Runner, although...

Misses
-...flare up of plantar fasciitis derailed the running, which is why I found kettlebells and Pilates

Sorry to hear so many people have had trouble with Thriftbooks!

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 12:21 AM  
angie_nrs

Hits:

Cathe Perfect Pump
Michelle Dozios - Peak Fit (that I got on Mary's sale)
Strong Bear with Keli Roberts

All of these are now regulars in my routine

As far as misses.....I didn't really like the Strong Bear with Tracey, but I'll try it again and see if I change my mind.
Old 01-04-23, 06:40 AM  
mimikz

Thinking about this thread, I'm adding to my 2022 hits

- Fitness and hydration go together, so I think not off topic. I finally bought a SodaStream. I've been thinking about this for literally years as seltzer is an indulgence that I enjoy. The one with 3 buttons was my choice and it really works for me!

- Looking at zero drop shoes for a while, the price and mixed reviews have really given me pause. I finally tried Joomra Minimalist Trail Running Barefoot from Amazon, not for trail running, but just for indoor workouts. They're currently $42 but I got them for around $35 from a deal. They a big hit for me and I bought additional pairs because they're just that perfect for my workouts. Somewhat supportive but not much. The price and description of wide toe box really convinced me to give these a try; I'm glad I did!

M
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 10:48 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimikz View Post
- Fitness and hydration go together, so I think not off topic. I finally bought a SodaStream. I've been thinking about this for literally years as seltzer is an indulgence that I enjoy. The one with 3 buttons was my choice and it really works for me!
Ditto! I got the cheapest model in late '21 after I'd gotten into the habit of buying Bubly during the pandemic. Not a fan of any of the syrups (even the Bubly) but now just drink plain fizzy water or add True Lime. Not really saving money over buying the canned water but much more convenient.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 12:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Lori - I used to love Thriftbooks - then I ordered The Parent Trap from them and got some strange movie instead. I called them and they said they no longer had The Parent Trap in stock, so I asked for a refund and she said they don’t give refunds. I asked what my options were and she said there was nothing she could do. I said it was their responsibility to make it right because it was their error. She said, “Fine! I’ll issue a refund this one time, but next time you change your mind, I will not give you a refund.” I said, “I didn’t change my mind - you sent
me the wrong thing!”
Wow - i hope that employee is no longer there. very odd.

i've had a few returns and all were resolved. In fact for one of them, they let me keep the item and refunded my money. it was a book/CD combo, and the CD was missing. i was able to find the CD by itself elsewhere, so it was a win-win.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-23, 03:18 PM  
warriorprincess

Hits:

Finding a Meetup group that goes on walks, kayak trips, biking, and snorkeling in the state and national parks, at 10:00 am weekday mornings. These are my people!

Toe Socks! I love the freedom of wriggling my toes in general, and when inside a ballet sock, my feet are much happier in my ballet/barre workouts. They keep my toes from being squished as much.

Youtube channel Ballet 24, which is old but new to me. And exploring Yin practices from the yin yoga thread of a few months back.

Alltrails app subscription.

Cronometer app subscription.

Misses:

I had a shoe lift put on one of my ballet slippers. It was a very bad idea. I can't balance on it, and it has too much friction.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
best of, equipment, hits and misses, storage, worst of