Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-22, 07:38 AM  
sbh

Need tech help please

This coming January, Microsoft will no longer support Windows 8. I really like my desktop with Windows 8. My question is: Will Windows Defender still run on my desktop? Is there software I could buy for virus/malware protection?

I know, I should upgrade to Windows 10 since Windows 11 is just around the corner, but I don't want too. This old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-22, 06:33 PM  
Bluebelle

Not a tech expert but generally I've found if an operating system is no longer supported I can't buy software for it anymore. For example Turbo Tax. Once MS stopped supporting a particular operating system, the new versions of TurboTax wouldn't work on it either. You may be able to use your old software but none of them will probably get updated. I use Windows 10 for years now and quite like it.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-22, 08:58 PM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
Not a tech expert but generally I've found if an operating system is no longer supported I can't buy software for it anymore. For example Turbo Tax. Once MS stopped supporting a particular operating system, the new versions of TurboTax wouldn't work on it either. You may be able to use your old software but none of them will probably get updated. I use Windows 10 for years now and quite like it.
Thank you for your insight! I was thinking I will upgrade to windows 10.
Old 11-12-22, 09:22 PM  
fanofladyvols

Sherri, I understand, really I do and always resist, lol.
The hardest thing was adapting to it visually but really it's not too drastic a change operationally.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-22, 12:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

DH's just got his old laptop (win8) replaced with a new one running win10 earlier this year. he's generally resistant to new systems and new technology, preferring old stuff*. he transitioned extremely well - the presentation between the 2 versions is almost identical.

i've been using win10 at work since 2015 so i had no trouble transitioning when our home laptops were replaced.

*he finally got a smartphone in March 2022 earlier this year only because ATT stopped the 3g all together, and DH's flip phone dates were suddenly affecting the system time on his phone and dates of messages! DH inherited DS20's smartphone and DH20 got a brand new phone since DH was due for a new one on our family contract.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-22, 02:51 PM  
carly

We run 2 desktops and 2 laptops at home. The laptops are Windows 10 and the desktops are still Windows 7. We have purchased Windows 10 software for one of the desktops to be converted as soon as we get some time. (If you decide to buy the software to upgrade an existing computer you may want to hire someone to install it for you. Also there are 2 versions of Windows 10. The version the manufacturer wants you to buy requires a yearly subscription, but there is also one time purchase Windows 10 software if you can find it.

We use Norton 360 and the free version of Malwarebytes to protect our computers. If you install Norton on your computer it automatically disables Windows Defender as multiple antivirus programs running simultaneously can be problematic.

https://www.safetydetectives.com/blo...nough-for-you/

We are keeping our older PC's and upgrading the software as the desktops are professional high performance $$$ and still very viable. If your desktop is older and basic you should start to consider a replacement, but you shouldn't panic about your Windows 8 deadline.

I would suggest converting to Norton 360 which should buy you some time to make a decision on if you want a new computer or if it makes sense to upgrade your existing equipment.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-22, 03:05 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Sherri, I understand, really I do and always resist, lol.
The hardest thing was adapting to it visually but really it's not too drastic a change operationally.
I have a 90 year old MIL who is at that point in her life that she can't adjust to changes. We were able to change the settings for the start-up window so it looked just like her Windows 7 screen.

Not something I would recommend....but always an option.
Old 11-13-22, 03:08 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I have a 90 year old MIL who is at that point in her life that she can't adjust to changes. We were able to change the settings for the start-up window so it looked just like her Windows 7 screen.

Not something I would recommend....but always an option.
I hope I have a DIL like you one day to help me adjust softly to the changes around me

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-22, 03:13 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebelle View Post
Yes you will need Windows 10 if you use Turbo Tax in 2022. Other software programs may give you longer to transition but they will eventually cut you off.
Old 11-13-22, 07:16 PM  
sbh

Carly, thank you so much for all the information. Very helpful!! I do want the one time purchase Windows 10.

Tags
off topic, off-topic, tech, tech help