Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-21, 01:32 PM  
Libby

Best Flooring for exercising

We want to get rid of our carpet. What is the most durable flooring that will hold up to being used for a workout area daily? I use up to 20 lb weights and have been able to just drop them on the floor but I'm guessing I won't be able to do that with any other type of flooring. Will be wearing cross-trainers and don't want to leave skid marks on the floor. Any suggestions? (also have a cat that keeps having accidents on the carpet so need a flooring that won't get damaged from pets)
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 04:46 PM  
Leonana

We replaced our old carpet with waterproof Pergo laminate. So far, no accidents from my one cat, although he won't go in our bedroom, since he sleeps in there. We are also doing the guest bedroom, and hopefully I won't be finding out if it's really waterproof! He usually goes in front of his litterbox, after we have company over. He hates it when we have strangers in the house. We have ceramic tile in the rest of the house, so it's an easy cleanup.

For a month the bedroom was concrete before we put in the laminate. Compared to ceramic tile and concrete, the laminate is definitely softer on the feet. However, the laminate was still too hard for me to do floor workouts. For me, carpet was the most comfortable for workouts, especially for on the floor moves. But for everyday life, I wanted something easier to clean, so chose laminate. Also, I live in the desert, so hard flooring is cooler.

I'm fine with standing moves or cardio, as long as I wear my tennis shoes. Barefoot fusion is fine with my yoga mat. However, I had to buy a small area rug for floor work. It was just too hard on my back. I put my yoga mat on top of the rug, and it's very comfortable. However, the yoga mat is too narrow. Eventually, I want to get the larger circle mat.

I don't drop my weights, and I think it might damage the floor. I don't have any problems laying them down on the floor, it doesn't damage it, especially the neoprene. I have two that are iron, and I try not to slide them on the floor, but pick them up to move them. I haven't left any skid marks from shoes. As for durability, I don't know yet. We just put it in a month ago. However, we have extra flooring, so if something gets damaged, we can replace it.
Old 07-05-21, 05:25 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I have had cork flooring in my workout are for about 8 years and love it. I'm sure I must have dropped stuff on it over the years, and it seems very durable. I don't have pets,, but it is super easy to clean and maintain.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 05:51 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
We replaced our old carpet with waterproof Pergo laminate. So far, no accidents from my one cat, although he won't go in our bedroom, since he sleeps in there. We are also doing the guest bedroom, and hopefully I won't be finding out if it's really waterproof! He usually goes in front of his litterbox, after we have company over. He hates it when we have strangers in the house. We have ceramic tile in the rest of the house, so it's an easy cleanup.

For a month the bedroom was concrete before we put in the laminate. Compared to ceramic tile and concrete, the laminate is definitely softer on the feet. However, the laminate was still too hard for me to do floor workouts. For me, carpet was the most comfortable for workouts, especially for on the floor moves. But for everyday life, I wanted something easier to clean, so chose laminate. Also, I live in the desert, so hard flooring is cooler.

I'm fine with standing moves or cardio, as long as I wear my tennis shoes. Barefoot fusion is fine with my yoga mat. However, I had to buy a small area rug for floor work. It was just too hard on my back. I put my yoga mat on top of the rug, and it's very comfortable. However, the yoga mat is too narrow. Eventually, I want to get the larger circle mat.

I don't drop my weights, and I think it might damage the floor. I don't have any problems laying them down on the floor, it doesn't damage it, especially the neoprene. I have two that are iron, and I try not to slide them on the floor, but pick them up to move them. I haven't left any skid marks from shoes. As for durability, I don't know yet. We just put it in a month ago. However, we have extra flooring, so if something gets damaged, we can replace it.
Dropping iron weights on laminate would definitely damage it. Cyric has dropped bones on it and made chips/divots.

My gym is puzzle mats on top of concrete with a room size carpet remnant over the mats and works fine for me, even plyos and jumping rope.

ETA: Oops, sorry, I missed the part about not wanting carpet.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 06:29 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Dropping iron weights on laminate would definitely damage it. Cyric has dropped bones on it and made chips/divots.
Yikes!

I never dropped them on the carpet. I was always afraid I’d crack the concrete underneath! So I don’t think it will be an issue as long as I’m careful.

Eventually, I’ll be working out in the guest bedroom once it’s finished. I plan on getting a large area rug.
Old 07-05-21, 09:11 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Yikes!

I never dropped them on the carpet. I was always afraid I’d crack the concrete underneath! So I don’t think it will be an issue as long as I’m careful.

Eventually, I’ll be working out in the guest bedroom once it’s finished. I plan on getting a large area rug.
He learned right away that toys stay on the carpet. Only took a couple times of saying "carpet" when he went in the dining room with a toy and showing him the carpet and he got it. Such a smart boy!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 09:32 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Dropping iron weights on laminate would definitely damage it.
Agreed. I have evidence in my living room.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 09:58 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
He learned right away that toys stay on the carpet. Only took a couple times of saying "carpet" when he went in the dining room with a toy and showing him the carpet and he got it. Such a smart boy!
Good boy, Cyric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
Agreed. I have evidence in my living room.
Thanks for the heads up, I will try and be careful!

Tags
flooring