Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-21, 04:05 PM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
Thanks so much for your post Janet. I looked at the list of items needed for the program. I have most of them, having a home gym in my basement. Do you need them all to start?

How much time does it take to do the exercises? Are you able to add in other workouts?
Hi!
The first phase of the program doesn't require equipment except for a mat that can cushion your knees during some specific stretches.

It takes about 40 minutes to do the prescribed lower body exercises and stretches 3 days a week. 2 days a week he suggests an optional upper body routine (using bands and rings/TRX) but I don't do that. The stretching on those days is about 20-25 minutes.

I do my own workouts--strength training (Cathe style), jumprope and walking/hiking. I am doing the Knees over toes on top of my workouts, which takes extra time but is worth it to me.

The next phase adds weights in. I will stay in the current bodyweight phase for a total of 3 months and then move on, although you can progress whenever your form is excellent, and exercises are accomplished pain-free.

HTH
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-21, 06:14 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
Hi!
The first phase of the program doesn't require equipment except for a mat that can cushion your knees during some specific stretches.

It takes about 40 minutes to do the prescribed lower body exercises and stretches 3 days a week. 2 days a week he suggests an optional upper body routine (using bands and rings/TRX) but I don't do that. The stretching on those days is about 20-25 minutes.

I do my own workouts--strength training (Cathe style), jumprope and walking/hiking. I am doing the Knees over toes on top of my workouts, which takes extra time but is worth it to me.

The next phase adds weights in. I will stay in the current bodyweight phase for a total of 3 months and then move on, although you can progress whenever your form is excellent, and exercises are accomplished pain-free.

HTH
Thanks Janet! I signed up this morning and did day 1. It took me about 35 - 40 minutes to complete because I had to view the demos again. I’ll probably skip the upper body strength part of tomorrow too and just concentrate on the stretches. My iTband is loosening up but I was foam rolling the last couple of days. The toughest part was the 10 minute warm up for me. I was in my basement so next time I’ll put on a workout or some music, lol!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 02:17 PM  
Genevieve M

Hi,

Can I weigh in,as someone with similar knee issues? I, too, had bone-on-bone in one knee, after being hit by a car and many arthroscopies to remove damaged cartilage.

After all of these surgeries, I woke up one day to excruciating pain in one knee. One surgeon suggested a knee replacement, but my absolute fav surgeon, suggested a patello-femoral joint resurfacing device.

This looks like a door knob. It is made of titanium and screwed onto your femur. The patella glides over the device, in the same it would if cartilage was present.

This was a day surgery procedure, and I was only out of commission for a week. Granted, I can't do everything that I could do prior to losing all this cartilage, but it beats having knee replacement, and I still can do a lot. The only physical limitation is not being able to squat all the way down to the floor.

Am sorry that you are having these challenges, and just wanted share my experience. Hope this helps.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-21, 05:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Hi,

Can I weigh in,as someone with similar knee issues? I, too, had bone-on-bone in one knee, after being hit by a car and many arthroscopies to remove damaged cartilage.

After all of these surgeries, I woke up one day to excruciating pain in one knee. One surgeon suggested a knee replacement, but my absolute fav surgeon, suggested a patello-femoral joint resurfacing device.

This looks like a door knob. It is made of titanium and screwed onto your femur. The patella glides over the device, in the same it would if cartilage was present.

This was a day surgery procedure, and I was only out of commission for a week. Granted, I can't do everything that I could do prior to losing all this cartilage, but it beats having knee replacement, and I still can do a lot. The only physical limitation is not being able to squat all the way down to the floor.

Am sorry that you are having these challenges, and just wanted share my experience. Hope this helps.
Son of a monkey, you are one tough cookie! Cheers to you and your strength!!

This is good information...thank you.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atg training, ben patrick, knee exercises, knee strengthening, knees, knees over toes, kneesovertoesguy