Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-20, 07:16 PM  
horusosiris

[QUOTE=Calistro;2860356]
Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I use these books and have found them helpful.

2. Frederic Delavier - Strength Training Anatomy

I have only ever had this one. It was brilliant at the time, but I remember why I gave it away. He kept updating the editions and I could not keep up.
There is really not that much difference between the three editions of Strength Training Anatomy. Any edition is good.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-20, 08:02 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
It's really old, but might be in your library - Perfect Parts by Rachel McLish and Joyce Vedral.
Pat I picked this up at a used bookstore recently and glad I did. I like how simply it divides the gym exercises from the home exercises. The calf section showing the angles is real clear and so will do my raises a little differently during reps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupam View Post
Strength Training After 50 by Wayne Westcott, or any book by him. He is a professor and researches strength training.
I do own this book but I didn't notice that the exercises were different from what I normally see in strength training books. I haven't read it carefully..can you share what you think makes this book unique?

I want to recommend

Delavier's Stretching Anatomy.

I think stretching becomes even more important in between sets and this book is really nicely divided and illustrated by body parts.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 02:50 PM  
psupam

Regarding Wayne Westcott, what I think makes him unique is his credentials. Professor of exercise physiology, researcher, so he is grounded in science, not fads. His book is very comprehensive and offers exercises with free weights, bands, machines at the gym. He also makes a compelling case for the value of strength training.
psupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-20, 04:08 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Regarding Wayne Westcott, what I think makes him unique is his credentials. Professor of exercise physiology, researcher, so he is grounded in science, not fads. His book is very comprehensive and offers exercises with free weights, bands, machines at the gym. He also makes a compelling case for the value of strength training.
Gotcha...thanks

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 02-25-20, 05:34 PM  
Calistro

[QUOTE=horusosiris;2860892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calistro View Post

There is really not that much difference between the three editions of Strength Training Anatomy. Any edition is good.
Thanks for that. I did not try all editions, I just assumed that the newer ones might have updated material. Now that I know there was not much difference, I should have kept it.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-20, 09:01 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:

Strength Training Exercises for Women by Joan Pagano. Great color illustrations.
psupam, thanks for this recommendation.

I picked it up after you recommended and purchased it because it really is well illustrated. Not easy to find in these type of books and very helpful.

Tags
fitness books