Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-20, 02:31 PM  
stacydan

Need knee strengthening dvd recs

I need some knee strengthening routines; I am recovering from a stress fracture and deep bone contusion, can finally walk, and without limping, although my knee area is still a little tender, so nothing on my knees or cross legged. Ortho dr released me and I went back to work this week (very sedentary job) but told me to be mindful of my body mechanics and gave me a brochure with a couple of exercises in it. She did not recommend PT at this time but did say that I could start working out at my comfort level and to strengthen the supporting areas.

I am 50 and while I used to work out consistently, I went through a tough time and was eating crap and not working out for most of 2019 and have gained about 50 pounds back, again. Ugh.

M husband and I have a cruise coming up in July so I wanted to strengthen my knees and surrounding areas since we will be walking a lot; but I am terrified of having this happen again because it has been very painful and I could not put any weight on my leg.

On amazon I was looking at these, does anyone have any experience with these or other suggestions?

Systems4Knees dvd
RehabZone Hip and Knee Pain Program dvd
Osteoporosis Exercises for Strong Bones (Carol Michaels)
Safe Strength Training for Osteoporosis Prevention (Susie Hathaway)

I appreciate your help!

Stacy
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 02:54 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

I'm not familiar with any of those DVDs, but I have a copy of Chantal Donnelly's Strong knees if you want it. As I remember when I really badly bruised my knee it was one I could do once things started healing. It's been a few years since I used it so I don't remember details other than a lot of instruction in the 30 minute routine and I mostly used the 7 minute abbreviated workout.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:12 PM  
Tugger31

I have the lower back and core dvd set from ReHab Zone and it is nicely done. So their knee set may be a good choice.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:17 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Hi Stacy! I also like Chantal Donnelly's Strong Knees DVD. That would be a good place to start. I'm sending you hugs!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 03:48 PM  
MsThistlebottom

I like the Feeling Pretty Remarkable series and have tried the knee and lower back programs. Instruction is slow and methodical, but it gets the job done.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:14 PM  
akaAnnie

Classical Stretch/Essentrics
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 04:54 PM  
Vantreesta

Another vote for Strong Knees!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 05:32 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I would recommend these Jessica Valant Pilates YouTube videos:

Knee Pain Exercises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovzl...GJgq4&index=14

Knee Pain Exercises - Physical Therapy For Knee Pain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5b0gS7wI1k

Both of these are very similar to what my physical therapist had me do when I hurt my knee. And they helped.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 05:54 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
I'm not familiar with any of those DVDs, but I have a copy of Chantal Donnelly's Strong knees if you want it. As I remember when I really badly bruised my knee it was one I could do once things started healing. It's been a few years since I used it so I don't remember details other than a lot of instruction in the 30 minute routine and I mostly used the 7 minute abbreviated workout.
I also like Strong Knees. I have a torn meniscus for which I went through physical therapy and Donnelly's workout very closely resembles my at-home physical therapy routine. It's a good place to start, strengthening the legs and stabilizers in the knee joint. And the stretching exercises are also spot on.

Donna
Old 01-25-20, 06:09 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I'll never give up my Strong Knees DVD! Another good one (may be hard to find, but it's on beachbody on demand streaming) is Debbie Siebers' Total Body Solution; it's chaptered for body parts.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee, knee exercises, knee rehabilitation, knee strengthening, strong knees