Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-26-19, 09:25 AM  
Julia

KateTT,

I’d like to know what the results of your experiment is. I tend to bulk with heavy weights and too many push-ups get me bulky. I’ve seen incredible, incredible difference in my body thru standing or sitting bodyweight exercices for upper body and abs while anything in plank form including pushups generally bulks me up, I’m not sure why. Unweighted arms after resistance loop or bands or very light weight for upper body with cardio, before cardio or after cardio, high rep done 4+ times a week. Body weight without too much weight or strain really makes my muscles pop. I’m 44 and when I was in my 20s and naturally skinny heavy weights gave me the svelte body now that I’m older the heavy weights leave me drained and do not give the same results. Things have changed. I’m sharing my experience would love to hear yours, as always Ymmv.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 10:35 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriann View Post
KateTT,

This looks like a great rotation to try for a while. What workouts are you planning on using for the body weight days? Inquiring minds want to know!

Lori
Lori, luckily I have a bunch of bodyweight dvds. Right now I'm working through some Mark Lauren dvds (Focus 15, EFX, 90 Day Challenge). They are new to me and so far the ones I've done I LOVE!

I'm also working in some Men's Health David Jack Spartacus workouts. Mix of weighted and bodyweight. I've done all the Riptensity workouts once but would like to get back to them too.

And then to really light the fire, I think I'll throw in some Shaun T Insanity.

So this week looked like this:
Mon.
Cathe LITE PHA2 + 6 Pack Abs

Tues:
Body Combat 31

Wed:
Insanity Plyometric Cardio Circuit + ProTeam Abs

Thurs:
Mark Lauren EFX 1 + 2

Fri:
Spartacus Body weight Rev + Total Body Blitz

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 10:44 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia View Post
KateTT,

I’d like to know what the results of your experiment is. I tend to bulk with heavy weights and too many push-ups get me bulky. I’ve seen incredible, incredible difference in my body thru standing or sitting bodyweight exercices for upper body and abs while anything in plank form including pushups generally bulks me up, I’m not sure why. Unweighted arms after resistance loop or bands or very light weight for upper body with cardio, before cardio or after cardio, high rep done 4+ times a week. Body weight without too much weight or strain really makes my muscles pop. I’m 44 and when I was in my 20s and naturally skinny heavy weights gave me the svelte body now that I’m older the heavy weights leave me drained and do not give the same results. Things have changed. I’m sharing my experience would love to hear yours, as always Ymmv.
I know everyone's body's are different. I'm short and naturally sporty. When I carry extra weight (fat) I do get bulkier looking when I lift heavy. When I'm leaner, the muscles still grow but more definition, less bulky. But I am at a stage in my life where I don't really care about "bulky". I'll take the bulk if it means I'm getting stronger. And I love to have muscles.

I'm well aware I'll never have a thin, lean dancer's body. Just not the way I'm built, so I work with what I have - short, stocky, strong.

So we'll see what this little experiment does. I have to admit I'm really feeling different soreness this week so far. But I feel GOOD - not tired or drained. I'll keep reporting. I took measurements so we'll see what happens.

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

Old 07-26-19, 12:11 PM  
Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I know everyone's body's are different. I'm short and naturally sporty. When I carry extra weight (fat) I do get bulkier looking when I lift heavy. When I'm leaner, the muscles still grow but more definition, less bulky. But I am at a stage in my life where I don't really care about "bulky". I'll take the bulk if it means I'm getting stronger. And I love to have muscles.

I'm well aware I'll never have a thin, lean dancer's body. Just not the way I'm built, so I work with what I have - short, stocky, strong.

So we'll see what this little experiment does. I have to admit I'm really feeling different soreness this week so far. But I feel GOOD - not tired or drained. I'll keep reporting. I took measurements so we'll see what happens.
I forward to catching the updates!
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 01:28 PM  
bubbles76

For me, I notice when I do more bodyweight focused workouts that I get better aesthetic results. I also show muscle definition and, dare I say, bulk! I look stronger, like I work out. Push ups, planks, pull-ups, Plyo, all have nice results for me. However, I love to lift heavier weights because they make me feel like the baddest chick . Not a bad feeling to have when I've had so many injuries. So I make sure to do both -- one for aesthetics, one for the ego, both for strength.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 01:25 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Just a quick update. I'm LOVING more bodyweight workouts. Mostly Insanity and Mark Lauren workouts. My planned rotation looks like this:
Mon: Weighted workout (sometimes heavy weight low rep, sometimes lower weight high rep)
Tues: Cardio
Wed: Cardio
Thurs: Bodyweight
Fri: Bodyweight

With Insanity I'm still getting some bodyweight moves even though I'm considering them cardio because they make my heart pop outta my chest.

Started doing a lot of Mark Lauren workouts and I love them! Slow and precise and I've felt every one. Not killer DOMS but I feel my whole body has been worked.
Also mixed in some David Jack workouts (Men's Health Spartacus).

I'm liking the change.
This week I lost 2 lbs but I've also gotten very strict with my eating. If you want to know what I'm doing, feel free to message me since we can't talk about diet. ;-)

I'll keep going through August for sure. Then we'll see what September (and exercise ADD) brings.

TGIF

ETA: I also measured myself on Monday which I hadn't done in a long time. Stay tuned...

Old 08-02-19, 02:38 PM  
Cowgirl32

Body weight is still a lot of weight . Lifting all 125 lbs of me.
Old 08-02-19, 03:50 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I agree with Cowgirl! And I find bodyweight workouts more challenging, especially the upper body.

KateTT, your rotation looks great, nice to mix both styles of training, and congrats on your results so far, please keep us updated!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 03:50 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
i feel like bodyweight would be plenty for me for upper body. Push-up and plank variations, inverted rows, and my pitiful attempts at chin-up progressions are much more difficult for me than weights.

For lower body, i feel like i need weighted work. And probably plyo too, since there is a limit to the weights i can use at home.
+ 1!

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 10:26 PM  
Loriann

Thanks for posting your rotation. I don’t have any Mark Lauren, but am very intrigued after looking at some reviews and YouTube videos. Today I did Horizontal Conditioning 101 Jan Vol 1. It may only be 30 minutes and no weights, but my legs and core were wobbly by the time I was done! Thanks for the inspiration!
Lori

Tags
body weight exercises, body weight workouts, mark lauren