Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-18, 09:24 AM  
bubbles76

I have filed a complaint with BBB. Hopefully that will get their attention. I've never done it before, so I hope I did it right. This whole situation is just too unreal.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 09:59 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Well! I just got off the phone with Rodale/Hearst. I spoke to a pleasant customer service representative. I explained how I just went on the site to see how much the product was (had to input my address to do it), clicked off, and the package arrived at my house. The representative told me that I would have to pay to return it. I asked her if I could just use the return label on their page. No, that was for people who actually ordered the items but were returning them due to not being satisfied. What??? I asked her if she could send me a return label. No, they don't do that anymore. So I asked her, "Are you telling me that I have to pay to return an item that I didn't order?" She said yes. I told her to make a note to remove me from their system because I didn't want anything else "accidentally" showing up at my house and that I was within my rights not to pay for unsolicited items. She told me she could make the note, but couldn't stop the bills from coming to my house. ...
Good grief! Bubbles, that really stinks!

I have avoided the Rodale site like the plague and will continue to do so.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 10:00 AM  
Karyn
VF Supporter

You might also consider a complaint to your state's AG. Their business practices are beyond shady.
Karyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 01:15 PM  
PittyPat

Try calling your credit card company and explain what happened. AmEx and the larger banks will be on your side.

I would be outraged, as well, and I'd do whatever it takes not to pay for the thing.
PittyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 01:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I tagged this thread with "rodale unwanted package" for people to see the other past experiences of this nature.

because they have a "bill me later" option, they were using your address that you supplied. this is a very deceptive practice that they still use despite all kinds of complaints.

another concern is if you have a cookie in your device from the past, it's possible they could use that information to send you an unwanted package. might be a good idea to clear your cookies if you plan to visit their site (although many won't be).

I have only used the pay everything upfront option, and so far, I haven't had an unwanted package in later visits to their sites show up in my mail box.

i have a question - for people who have used the "bill me later" option could you confirm this:

if you chose the "bill me" option, received the package, opened the package, and decided to return it, i think you can go online and request a return label since they send you an order # and customer # as part of the packing slip inside of the package.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 01:56 PM  
MoFirmer

I definitely will never even look at Rodale ever again! Not even if sold through another site!

I had this happen to me one evening when I went to their site to look at something. I got an email the next day stating my order. I had never clicked to buy! So I called and canceled the item explaining I hadn't ordered it. Luckily they did just that and I never had this issue stated above.

But it burned me on their practices and I will never support them in any form.
Old 06-20-18, 02:00 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

That's absolutely horrible! You might want to call their customer service again to see if you can get someone who is more willing to help you--I have found some customer service agents are more intelligent & helpful than others. I'm glad you filed a complaint with the BBB.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 02:29 PM  
Rhonda

Yep this happened to me a few years ago. did the address thing and next thing I know I have the DVD in my mailbox. It was like, what, I didn't hit submit. I just paid the bill as I didn't want the hassle. I know I should not have but at that time there were others that experienced the same thing.

I have not ordered anything from them since. I don't like that they still do this.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 04:08 PM  
suzannaerin

I wonder if you could send it COD? Or better yet, put it in the mailbox with one stamp as postage and the return address as Rodales. They would be on the hook for most of the return postage.
Someone should do a class action lawsuit against them and put them out of business.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 06:47 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks for the support everyone, it means a lot! I'll follow up if I hear anything from Rodale or BBB.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad customer service, beware rodale, rodale, rodale rip off, rodale scam, rodale unwanted package, rodale.com