Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-02-18, 05:49 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
I'm just grateful these two things, aging and failing eyesight, happen simultaneously.
Yes, but that makes it more difficult to see the chin hairs so you can pluck them!

I’m grateful that I was born in the 1960s and experienced the world before technology took over.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-18, 08:37 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My grievance is that 'old' is always presumed to be a negative thing. Why is this? Other cultures/times past have revered older people for their wisdom and experience. Youth was synonymous with, among other things, impetuousness and folly. Of course, youth has also had positive associations, but the reverence for youth today is crazy. Pursuing youth is chasing the wind. We're all aging, every second of the day. It's inevitable. I'm opting out of the 'trying to look younger' thing.
Ewww, an Old Thread! But this is a new post. I've known for some time that although I've approved of this post in other threads, I have yet to approve of this post (and others) in a post in this thread.

It's been an oddly busy month, and I just had the chance to listen to Zane Lowe of Beats 1 interviewing the musician Tyler Joseph.

twenty one pilots: 'Trench,’ Overcoming Insecurities & What’s Next | Beats 1 | Apple Music

I wasn't expecting to find something relevant to this thread, but I like what Tyler (age 29 as of this writing) says following a question at 29:32, about living "a different life" after maybe stopping music someday.

"I think what helps me is to glorify getting old--not be afraid of it. I'm looking forward to it, and I think that if our culture were to see our elderly in that way, as, like, they've accompished something, they've ran a race, and they have a lot to tell us about how we could better run it, I think that that would help with a lot of things."

In my first post, I'd written, "One resolution of mine is that I'll try to examine what messages fitness resources are sending about 'old talk' as much as I'm already doing with 'fat talk.'" My reactions are actually a bit stronger than that sentence may imply. Well, seeing "fat talk" quickly and cleanly strips away my interest in a fitness resource. I also find that reflexively and callowly associating "old!" with "bad!" (or "young!" with "good!") definitely reduces the appeal of a resource for me, regardless of whether I've written a resolution about the matter.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 10:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Ewww, an Old Thread! But this is a new post. I've known for some time that although I've approved of this post in other threads, I have yet to approve of this post (and others) in a post in this thread.
What do you mean by "approve?" Does a post have to be approved by HCH to be acceptable?

I'm confused?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 10:09 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Yes, but that makes it more difficult to see the chin hairs so you can pluck them!
LOL!

Quote:
I’m grateful that I was born in the 1960s and experienced the world before technology took over.
I am, too! And before radical political correctness sucked some of the joy out of life.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 10:18 AM  
Gams

I'm with you on the political correctness thing. I'm so tired of everything being taken to the extreme and the constant examination for the "real meaning" behind everything. I told my sister the other day after watching Oprah tell someone, "You know that's not the REAL reason you overeat" that sometimes a candy bar really is just a candy bar.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 10:47 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
What do you mean by "approve?" Does a post have to be approved by HCH to be acceptable?

I'm confused?
I wrote "approved of," not simply "approve." Maybe you didn't see the "of"--but if your word usage varies, I approve of this explanation, which reflects my own usage and the usage of others around me:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/le...arnitv26.shtml

Quote:
The meaning of approve changes when you add the preposition of to make approve of. Approve'by itself means 'sanction' or 'endorse' as in these two examples.

[snip]

If you approve of something, then you consider it to be good or you agree with it.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 09-27-18, 11:11 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I am, too! And before radical political correctness sucked some of the joy out of life.
I look forward to seeing the next euphemism that we must use instead of "old."

In August, Vintage VFer started a thread called "You're as elderly as you feel...," which indirectly led me to a 2013 NPR piece called "An Age-Old Problem: Who Is 'Elderly'?"

Quote:
"We like your use of the word elderly," observed Atlanta Constitution advice columnist Dr. William Brady in 1918. "Maybe we would have more friends now if we had not insisted upon anything old when we meant elderly."

But by 1956, some Americans were bristling at the description. When a 20-year-old girl referred to a 40-year-old man as "elderly" in a Washington Post story, readers reacted. The paper published the executive editor's advice to his staff about usage of the word. "A lot of us old folks in our 50s do not like to be called elderly," the editor opined. "When you are a great deal older than you are now, you will discover that the time a man becomes elderly is exactly like the place where the earth and sky meet."
In other words, being born in the 1960s or even in 1918 might not have kept someone from being in a world without offense over who's "old." (I'm intrigued to notice the Post editor's interspersing of "old" and "elderly," and I wonder if he intentionally mingled the two there for effect.)

Maybe I will live to see the day when a simple "old" is enough, though I'm more optimistic that I will live to be 118 than that our advanced society will stop inventing new terms to take the place of "old" and "elderly" and whatever else we may imagine. (A society with less euphemism succession for "old" may also be a society with less "old talk.")

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 09-27-18, 11:28 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
I look forward to seeing the next euphemism that we must use instead of "old."
<<snip>>

Age challenged?

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 11:33 AM  
Gams

"Age challenged" - I like it.. I held up my special edition magazine with a very large photo of Audrey Hepburn on the cover and asked my 22-year old co-worker if he knew whose picture it was. He didn't, but then he said, "Oh wait - she's the chick that dated that old actor guy." I said, "No, I think you're talking about Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, although I hesitate to think of them as the 'chick' and the 'old actor guy'."
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-18, 11:37 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

To me, "age challenged" would mean the opposite!

If you're challenged at something, you can't do it very well, right? Old people have this age thing down pat!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age, aging, body image, fat talk, old talk