Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-17, 11:59 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I was enjoying KCM's Slim Sculpt and Strength and Stamina (my "earlier" kettlebell DVDs together with Angie Miller's Kettlebell Bootcamp... which are all not traditional/heavy duty kettlebell DVD and I only had one that fit such a criteria, namely The Kettlebell Way to Your Perfect Body, Vol. 1: A New "Providence"). And then I finally took the plunge with Lauren Brooks' DVDs (having one acquired her Vol 1 and traded it away without trying as the preview seemed intimidating!) Lauren's DVDs are definitely the hit of the year for me! I've since amassed 80% of what she's put out and often use her routines twice a week

Miss-wise, I finally acquired FIRM Cardio and I ended up Joni O'ing not long after the warm-up - the choreography, the stepping, the equipment changes - I just couldn't deal it even though I've used a few other FIRM workouts from various eras in the last year (FIRM Parts Upper Body all the way to a BSS3 AWT title). I re-visited FIRM Strength and rather enjoyed it so was surprised at my reaction to its companion routine Also, I tried another Paul Katami routine or two and just couldn't make it past the 5-minute mark- something about the torquing, twisting, fast, higher impact movements don't mesh with me, much as he seems like a solid instructor.
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 01:19 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

hits:
Jeanette Jenkins
30 minute walks before work listening to audio books

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 09:32 AM  
owltx

Hits -
a) For me, the Fit Tower and the the DVD's that came with it, as well as Cathe's advanced fit tower DVD's. I really love the Fit Tower, and the way it works so many different muscles uniquely. The pull up option has increased my strength in that area (although geesh it is hard).
b) Late to the party, but I got the BarreAmped collection this year and love those as well. The BootCamp and Fire, especially, are fun and keep my attention span. Her stretches are great.
c) REALLY late to this party, but I got a weighted body bar and a couple of Kimberly Spreen's cardio combat workouts - awesomeness! I love her anyway, and these are great little workouts. The bar adds a ton of fun to the mix.

Misses -
a) I did not love the cardio dvd that came with Cathe's strong and sweaty series. Meh for me.
Old 12-05-17, 09:44 AM  
laurajhawk

Hits:
Slim in 6, of all things. I've had it for a long time but never used it until this year; it helped me lose 15 pounds.
Gilad - I'd never tried him either but bought some on the Roost and used them to break up the Si6 monotony.
Fitbit Alta - for step tracking and calorie counting.
Jessica - I did a lot of Jessica through the year; I don't seem to get tired of her. I'm doing Walk Strong 3 now and liking it a lot.
New yoga studio (BeWell in Johnstown - for northern Colorado VFers) - a little farther away but the owner is the best teacher I've ever had.

I can't think of any major misses this year!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 10:01 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

Cathe Live has to be the biggest hit for me. It was a return to Cathe for me after a many years long break. I just love Cathe's personality in these, and also appreciate that they are a tad less advanced than her DVDs.

Streaming in general has been a bit hit in the last year. In addition to Cathe Live I have signed up for Classical Stretch, which I also love, and SBF, which I have just started to explore but think I will really appreciate as something different in my routine. And of course Jessica on Youtube which is my all time favorite.
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 10:01 AM  
kimf
VF Supporter

I'm glad to see some love for the Fit Tower, which I am hoping to buy with my year end bonus!!
kimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 11:58 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

KimF, more Fit Tower love from me if you need further enabling. I bought almost nothing new this year besides the Fit Tower and the advanced workouts with it. I like the workouts fine but love the Tower. It's great as a barbell rack for heavy chest presses, and I really like using it instead of my door bands for pushup and pullup variations.

Misses? I replaced a bunch of old Firm VHS (Parts mixes from the Classics and post- Classics) with DVDs during some sale, and except for Tough Cardio Mix, everything is still in its shrinkwrap.
Old 12-05-17, 12:32 PM  
bubbles76

Athompson, how do you like Tough Cardio Mix? That's been on my maybe list.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 12:35 PM  
Hsim

Hits:
Cathe Kick, Punch & Crunch
Michelle Dozois - Body fit 360 & Peak Strength
Mindy Mylrea - energy action circuit
KCM - cardio quick fix

Misses:
Balletone Sole Synthesis
Laura Tarbell - Plyo pilates
Trudy Styler - Sculpt and tone ballet
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 12:52 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Athompson, how do you like Tough Cardio Mix? That's been on my maybe list.
It's fun, not too hard but you will work up a sweat. You do the step first, then the floor cardio and, except for Allie jumping around like a kangaroo, I think all the floor cardio is low- or no-impact. If you like the post-Classics leads AND their cueing- Allie (sorry, I don't know her current last name), Nancy Tucker, Pam Cauthen, Heidi Tanner, Lisa Kay - you'll like it.

It was off my radar for a long time but this thread reminded me:http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=219289

Tags
2017, best of, hits and misses