Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-17, 05:34 PM  
wendug

Just wanted to chime in here about thinning your thighs. What seems to work for me are split lunge jumps-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3avm4QPINk

I remember when I first starting working out to videos Kathy Smith had these in her weight loss workout and I always dreaded them! I did the pink Firm Bootcamp Maximum Calorie Burn today and there were split lunges in this video, too! I don't dread them like I used to...but wow do they make my legs burn!
Old 05-08-17, 10:28 PM  
Hedgehog

You are correct, I have struggled with body image issues especially since my extremely destructive divorce. As part of working through that process I have focused on positives that are within my control such as adding 2" to my butt and increasing my strength, I also enjoy the fact that my legs have lost that spread that happens when I sit down and work on fotcuing on how those accomplishments make me feel rather than any negatives my brain can conceive* it's an ongoing process Being able to grow definition on the back of my legs legs (hams, glutes & thutt) without the huge quads that have always dominated in the past (again...thank you Bret C for knowledge and exercises to accomplish this!) was FUN and I enjoyed the challenge and success. I just want to ensure I don't have any major strength losses as I use my body as a lab rat lol.

I have to laugh at the mental images you created for me hch, I work with an amazing group of men and I can't imagine they give a second thought to the SIZE of my thighs.....only as to whether or not their strength can carry my gear, my short (cuz well....*I'm* short!!!) legs can keep up and my driving (a skill I excel at) will get them there safely and quickly. They would also be the first to go at MY pace if I couldn't! My EMS patients only care if I am capable of giving them effective care and safe transport! I have a capt I affectionately refer to as Capt Gorilla because well....he's about the size and strength of one, I will be picturing a crew of gorillas with massive thighs in red strobe lights tonight and trying not to laugh too loudly

As to the running suggestions,* I've incorporated sprints on occasion, usually motivated by a teenage boy or 2 with legs that seem longer than I am tall and only because it's fun when your own teens want to race you knowing they will cream you lol. Otherwise, I tend to fall into the "why would I run, if it's not for my LIFE?" camp although I really don't know why?? I just detest running for some reason :/

My "rotation" was more or less a progression of the following over 6-8 months:
Always abs M-F usually the abs or stability ball abs from B&G or maybe Cathes CoreMax...PS abs...depending on my mood)
Weights - 10#x2 for B&G, 50# squats (or sometimes 25# for goblet instead of Cathe's), deadlifts etc. UB - 15# - 25# dumbbells x2 a little more if I'm home instead of the station.
I also walk 6 hilly miles some days, hike the mountain trail across from my house which is EXTREMELY steep or other similar activities with my kids frequently.
I do around 1 hr then abs for a total of around 80-95 min/day.

M-Cathe B&G
T- P90x UB (a combo of either disks 1&3 or 9&10 alternating...so chest, back, shoulder and arms are all done same day)
W-B&G
Th-P90x UB
F-B&G

A few weeks later:
M-B&G
T-P90x UB
W-Cathe GS Legs
Th-P90x UB
Fri-B&G
I switched to GS legs 2xwk and B&G 1x for week 2,4, etc

I wasnt thrilled with what P90x did for my arms but loved that I could do the pullups / pushups so, I switched to Cathe's PS for UB and did the 2 UB programs together to cover chest, back, arms & shoulders each UB day on T & Th and I'm happy with that change. I still keep throwing in P90x disk 1 which is all pushups and pullups randomly because...well...I want to!

I also added Leg & Glutes for a change more recently when I'm sick of B&G or GS Legs. Around 3 months ago I added weighted hip thrusts 5x5, 3x12, 4x10 or whatever either on legs days or sometimes all 5 w/o days with 115#. I stopped at that weight until I buy a better bar which can hold more weight. Weekends are out with DH & all 8 kids home or coming and going so I always take Sat & Sun as rest or walk/hike days.

So....after I started my latest self-experiment, last 2 weeks:
Still always Abs 5x week but I started adding Tummy Tuck from BBL for a change

M-B&G
T-PS 2&3
W-L&G
Th-PS 2&3
F-B&G

Week 2 (Started skipping hip thrusts on BBL weeks)
M-BBL High & Tight + Bum Bum
T-PS 2&3
W-BBL H&T + Bum Bum
Th-PS 2&3
F- BBL H&T + BB

This week (wk 3) repeat week 1 and add hip thrusts, week 4 will repeat week2.

I'm REALLY surprised at how the change of adding BBL worked. I expected it to be too easy but, I've found that I'm engaging my glutes a LOT better even though I already was impressed by the additional glute engagement after adding Bret's stuff. I noticed I dread Cathe's floor work less and upped my ankle weights during B&G after starting BBL and it's only been 1+ week. I will be replacing some B&G now that I've done that for so long with Hiit, plyo and kickboxing with my newly acquired heavy bag I just need to figure out when and probably working barre in somewhere as I get tired of BBL.....or something like that. I'd like to keep it to 1 change at a time so I can link any changes in my shape/strength to what caused it. I'm thinking it's too early to tell if I am seeing a size difference at all but I really need to find my measuring tape so I can record the changes. I am LOVING the way my muscles feel with the new switch though.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body image, freestyle, rock bottoms, thigh slimming, xtrain