Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-17, 05:41 PM  
Eibhinn

I agree that Leslie's stretching at the end of her workouts is usually completely inadequate. It's also weird that she seems to always stretch the upper body, which you barely use in the workouts that don't have a band or use weighted balls or whatever, yet I can't recall her EVER stretching the glutes. That's always struck me as bizarre.

I also found her workouts started to bother my knees when I did them a lot, but I also found a solution that completely fixed the problem for me: I completely disregard her instructions to get down and low with the side steps and whatnot. If I ignore that instruction and just do all of the movements, as instructed, without crouching down like that, my knees are perfectly fine.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 07:07 PM  
donnamp

I'm responding to the Pilates question!

I recommend Caroline Sandry for beginner Pilates - she has a DVD out - 30 Days to Flat Abs which has several 10 minute segments.

https://www.amazon.com/Pilates-Days-...aroline+sandry

She also has a play list on the FitYess You Tube channel - Beginner Pilates is a nice one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuaK...77bt48vsvAR5LB

As for the Leslie/indoor walking issue - I do find that if I do a lot of indoor walking it flares up my hip and lower back pain - I did find that if I walked around, instead of marching in place, that it helped a lot.

Good luck!!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 09:14 PM  
karenl

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I will check them out. i exercise on carpet and maybe I should replace my shoes. It's been awhile. Truth be known, I'm actually a cardio hater!!!

I'd much rather do strength workouts
karenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 11:57 AM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
If I do her workouts too much my bursitis flares in my hips. I think the movements aren't varied enough.
Dabbadooey,

Just sent you a PM...

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 12:42 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've been doing Leslie Sansone as my main cardio for years. I have knee and hip issues, but her workouts don't bother them.

I'd be really bummed if I couldn't do Leslie's workouts as she is my got-to gal. Like everyone said, I add a better stretch at the end.

Oddly, I find that I get more aches or pains from doing Jessica Smith workouts. Mostly her DVD workouts where she goes too quickly and sometimes cues poorly. That being said, I do like Jessica. I just have to be very careful with her workouts.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-17, 08:13 PM  
kas97

I love Leslie and her workouts, but definitely have to modify them. I cannot do any forward/backward moves that aren't marches or jogs. So when she goes corner to corner in that zig zag pattern with side steps, I just do regular side steps. No knee ups when moving directions, no twisting my knees (I workout on carpet) etc. Since I started modifying this way, I have had no knee issues. I do have tight hips, probably brought on by a combination of her workouts being my main staple and sitting 8 hours a day at work, which I have to sufficiently stretch after every workout.

I do these same modifications for any workouts that include them (including my other favorite, Jessica Smith).

It is probably a good idea to vary the length of your walks - I know that doing 3 mile walks daily, without modification is when my knees started hurting. Now I do 2 miles, with an occasional 3, but if you are used to more, maybe switch it between long and shorter (3,2,4,2,3 - representing miles for 5 days of workouts).
kas97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 02:41 PM  
bfit

I think the surface that you exercise on also makes a big difference. Carpet can be problematic because the surface is a little uneven, and you're wobbling a little bit as you step. A very hard surface that doesn't give (like a concrete basement floor) can also cause problems. Your shoes also make a difference. Even for something as simple as Leslie's workouts you need really good supportive shoes.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-17, 02:57 PM  
sherry7899

I had to stop using all walking workouts because they bug my knees and hip flexors. What did help before I quit them was exercising on puzzle mats I put down over my carpeting.

I hope you figure out what works for you and feel better.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, knee pain, knee strengthening, leslie sansone, stronger standing balance