Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-16, 04:53 PM  
halebop

Chromecast? Another Way? So Behind...

I'm way behind the times with technology.

I recently subscribed to Pilates By Lisa subscription. I log on to her website from my laptpop (a PC) and stream them and watch on my laptop.

I'd really like to watch them on the TV in my living room. I believe I can connect laptop to TV with HDMI cable but I'd really prefer wireless since there's not a great spot to sit the laptop near the TV and it's not easy to get close to TV to connect / disconnect cable (weird, I know)

Would Chromecast work? I believe it works for apps but also for website as long as i use Google Chrome as my browser? Is there another better option?

thanks so much!
halebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-16, 05:32 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

A chromecast would work. Once installed, many fitness sites have the option to use chromecast to get the video on your TV. If that option doesn't exist you can stream your desktop to the TV screen. I love my chromecast for YouTube, Les Mills on Demand, and playing some dvds to my TV.

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-16, 06:40 PM  
furmomof6

I haven't been able to get Chromecast to stream PBL for me onto my TV and I wish I could (except for her free workouts on Youtube). In another thread I remember someone explaining how they did it and I tried but it didn't work for me. Let me know if you have any luck with Chromecast!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-16, 07:28 PM  
halebop

Thanks! I will do some searching and see if I kind find specific info about PBL and Chromecast. I appreciate the help. I have a feeling if it's not easy to do...I'll likely not be able to pull it off
Old 12-29-16, 09:55 PM  
nevertoolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
I haven't been able to get Chromecast to stream PBL for me onto my TV and I wish I could (except for her free workouts on Youtube). In another thread I remember someone explaining how they did it and I tried but it didn't work for me. Let me know if you have any luck with Chromecast!
I love Chromecast, but I found the instructions a little lacking. Some sites, like many things on YouTube, seem to have the link built in; others, like streaming from Movement for Modern Life and my Lee Holden QiGong videos, were a bit harder to figure out. For the latter, here's what I do:

Turn on the TV and set it to the source (HDMI location) of my Chromecast.

On my Samsung tablet, I go to Google Home App. (This used to be the Chromecast app, but it got automatically "updated" to the Google Home app.) There is a 3 line symbol on the upper left that brings up a bar with "cast screen/audio" on it. Click on that. This brings up the screen with a tab that will cast to your chromecast (TV) whatever is on your screen (tablet, phone, laptop). When you click on that, that exact screen now is on your TV.

Then you bring up another page (tab?) and go to whatever site you want to watch and bring it up. It should also be showing on your TV at the same time. When you're finished watching your video, go back to that "cast screen/audio" page and "disconnect."

The trick for me was learning that I had to bring up Chromecast and cast the tablet image to the TV first. Then I could bring up the site (Lee Holden, Movement for Modern Life, whatever) and start the video and it would show on the TV screen.

I hope I've explained this clearly. Chromecast works great for me, once I figured this out.

Ann
nevertoolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-16, 10:09 AM  
antbuko

I used Chromecast for streaming Pilates by Lisa. Not my favorite way to stream stuff, but it works.
Old 12-30-16, 10:15 AM  
halebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post

I hope I've explained this clearly. Chromecast works great for me, once I figured this out.

Ann
Yes!!! Thank you Ann. I really appreciate it!
Old 12-30-16, 10:17 AM  
halebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbuko View Post
I used Chromecast for streaming Pilates by Lisa. Not my favorite way to stream stuff, but it works.
My I ask what you prefer? So far I'm just using my laptop. Thanks!
Old 12-30-16, 01:15 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by halebop View Post
My I ask what you prefer? So far I'm just using my laptop. Thanks!
Well, for Pilates by Lisa, Chromecast is my only option. I just don't like casting from my phone or computer because I can't pause or rewind easily, and with my phone it has to be on all the time, but it is wireless so that's a plus for you. I have a Roku and really like streaming from it, but the content that you want to stream must have an app for Roku, which Pilates by Lisa, Udaya, other sites as well, do not have.

ETA: I haven't casted in a a long time. I'll have to check out the new Home app and see if it works better for me. I just went to the Google Playstore and read my very disappointed one star review of the previous version, the Chromecast app, lol.
Old 12-30-16, 01:41 PM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertoolate View Post

Thank you! Yes, this is what I have tried in the past and it still doesn't work for me. I can get the picture on the TV screen but it's very choppy and won't play right. DH said it has nothing to do with our internet connection so I don't know why it won't work. Oh well!

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chromecast, samsung, tablet, tech