Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-16, 06:59 PM  
Ricka

haha. Purchasing and trading workout videos are so much fun!

What do you think about making a commitment, and say, perhaps if you do 5 of your exercise videos you had not tried yet that you already own, and write reviews on them on video fitness, then you allow yourself to trade or purchase one video, or something like that.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 07:22 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Famous View Post
Joy, if it makes you feel any better, I'll tell you a little story about the time Aunt Famous belonged or went to four -- yes, FOUR -- gyms each and every week: two where I taught spin, one where I worked out with a trainer, and one where I used only the saline pool. All of this was in the wee, wee hours of the morning, which prompted Uncle Famous to crack that he had no idea of what I was doing or where I was going, but that it was way too early for him to care.

(Uncle Famous' best, most prescient observation: Our laundry consists of two pairs of his underwear and 50 pounds of my athletic clothes.)

You've gotten great advice. I can't give you any good advice on how not to buy DVDs. (I can give you absolutely fantastic advice on how to buy more.)

Good luck. Don't leave, but if you do, I get it.

AF

Check out my blog at www.typeALC.com
Aunt Famous - Your story made me laugh out loud, especially the 50 lbs of exercise wear in the laundry! Reminds me of my huge selection of yoga pants & leggings. But leggings are versatile, you can dress them to go out!

I've certainly made my fair share of impulsive DVD purchases. I have slowed down in the past year or two because I stopped jumping on the lastest bandwagon & figured out what works for me. I still buy, but I also sell & trade. I do most of my purchases at least once, don't have a lot of virgins.
It's a bit of an addiction, but at least it has its health benefits! I have a very sedentary, unhealthy friend who is addicted to buying clothes & makeup, no health benefits there!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 07:49 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

you might enjoy these threads (there's many more like it on VF):

OCD collecting

not O/T: my aunt spends $200-$300/month on DVDs

Hoarding

Do you have a vidiot limit?

Tell me I'm not the only one??

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 07:52 PM  
angie_nrs

Yeah, I get it. I do workout 5-6 days per week at home with DVD's, but I could easily do this for the rest of my life with the collection I already have. I'm frugal too. It's one of the few things I find myself splurging on. I almost always do the Cathe pre-sale and if I find a deal on something and I think I will use it later, I buy it. Met Rx is still in the box. I did get it out a couple of months ago with the intention of finally doing a rotation, but something else (I think it was KBKB or Jessica Smith) got in the way of that. I'll hopefully get to it in 2017....even though I think I bought it a couple of years ago. I'm currently doing a rotation of workouts I bought this past spring......see a pattern? Oh, and I just bought some vintage Joyce Vedral workouts (never worked out with her before) on ebay b/c I know they are hard to find. Not to mention the Cathe's I'll have coming in the next couple of days.

I have told my boys, when I die they can make a lot of money putting my workout collection on ebay. My workout clothes, on the other hand, could easily go straight in the trash! Since I workout at home, my workout clothes are pretty ratty.....but they're comfy.

You're in good company here. I'll be honest in saying that there are some workouts I never would have bought b/c I wouldn't have even known they existed b/c of VF. There's some that I never should have bought b/c I don't like or do them. However, there are some that I really do love. Finding the gems spurs on the buying. If we always just got the stinkers, we wouldn't have this problem. VF'ers are notorious for enabling.........

Maybe you could pick your top 3-4 purchases and make a workout schedule using them. Sometimes mixing and matching them up make it more fun. Or maybe go back and read the threads that got you to purchase the workouts in the first place. Maybe they'll motivate you to get them out and give em' a try, now that you don't have to wait for them to be delivered.
Old 12-20-16, 09:41 PM  
buffmama

Searching for new workouts on youtube might be a way to curb some purchases. You still get the thrill of discovery with the added benefit of being instantaneous. There is a lot out there. But of course sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I decided I 'needed' a certain workout.
Old 12-20-16, 10:05 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

OMG-- I am guilty of so many of the vices listed here. I have too many DVDs I don't use, and I love collecting workout clothes and sneakers, too. I do go on strike from visiting Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Ross for months at a time. That takes care of most of the workout clothes purchases.

The Internet is the problem for DVD buys. I think we may need a new virgin DVD check-in.

I had many fewer DVDs before VF, but I also was not as active as I am now. So, it's a trade-off that I am willing to make. At least I have figured out generally which types of exercise I like and the kinds that really don't appeal to me.

I hope you stay on here.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 03:56 AM  
rhbrand

I will admit, I have a "thing" for fitness clothes and shoes. But I go to Crossfit, so I justify having 3 pair of Reebok Nanos and I have no idea how many pair of leggings, by saying I wear them to Crossfit.
Old 12-22-16, 05:31 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

My interest in workout clothes and shoes has dropped away since I finished my year at the gym. My interest in DVDs is renewing with the majority of my workouts now done at home. Every time an instructor publicly says DVDs are on the way out I feel I need to buy more and be well stocked before that happens.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 06:43 AM  
eeyore

Toomuchjoy, I totally understand. I'm a very visual person and I can get sucked in by a pretty cover! I've often thought about just making a binder with photos of covers. I used to be so consistent. I would have never called my self advanced but I was a very solid intermediate. And I was a workout wear junkie and shoe junkie too. Age has slowed me way down! I'll stop now, because I could go on and on and you'd be screaming at me to shut up!
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 10:57 AM  
Sissy B

For the most part I have quit buying DVDs, but I am another one who buys tons of workout clothes. I have found a brand that I love and anytime I'm in a store that carries that brand I have to see what they have. I have gotten a lot of them on clearance or at the outlet so I rarely pay full price. Now I just need to start wearing them to work out.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no buy, vidiot