Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-16, 11:02 AM  
toomuchjoy

Confession....

My name is toomuchjoy and I have a problem. I buy too many workout videos. That’s not the problem. I don’t use them. Any of them. I haven’t worked out at home in months. For that matter, I haven't worked out outside of the home in a month. But I keep wanting and buying more videos. Usually used on the Roost but not always. I don’t over buy anything else just this.

I’m going to step away from VF for a bit. Do you think I can ever come back? I love the community but I hate what I’m doing with my disposable income. Has anyone had a similar issue and were able to come back?

I know this sounds crazy but I’m betting someone knows what I’m talking about.
toomuchjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 11:11 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

do you feel bad because you haven't worked out? or because you buy too many videos? they're 2 separate psychoses.

i suffer from it to a certain degree. however, i do make the time to work out and fit something into my schedule, even if it's a brisk walk outside.

this past week has been "a wash" because i've been busy with Christmas things and planning my co-worker's retirement party. i got sick yesterday.

but just get back on the horse, even if it's for 10 min. just say to yourself "10 minutes and i give myself permission to quit."

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 11:16 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I feel your pain in a totally different way. I don't buy DVDs anymore, but I work out multiple times a day at two different gyms. Okay, there I said it.

Not only that, I have this obsession with cute workout clothes. It's not like I don't have enough. I can't possibly wear all that I have, yet if I see a pair of pants, a top or a workout bra that speaks to me, I have to have it. I would be embarrassed to show any of you my closet. You'd think I've lost my mind.

So maybe I have!
Old 12-20-16, 11:25 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Don't step away from VF...remember, we talk about working out, not just about buying workouts!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 11:28 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Don't step away from VF...remember, we talk about working out, not just about buying workouts!
This is exactly right! I am still here because of the awesome people first of all, but also because of the work out talk. You should stay and focus more on the threads about working out, and try to avoid the buying threads!
Old 12-20-16, 11:38 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I've found my niche and don't buy many videos any more. I love the discussion, though.

My confession...Jean....I also really like to buy workout wear. Love leggings.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 12:03 PM  
bubbles76

Toomuchjoy, I also buy or trade way more than I actually do. I still work out, but seem to always gravitate towards the instructors or workouts that I'm comfortable with. I've also started using youtube workouts. I have also just recently thought about leaving VF for awhile for many of the same reasons you list.

Truthfully, there are far worse habits to have and I can afford this habit. However it just feels...wasteful. Why have so many workouts that I don't do? So, I have thought of revamping the No/Slow/Wise Buy Challenge or simply stepping away for awhile. Or maybe joining the Virgin Checkin.

I'm not really much help, but just wanted to say I'm right there with you!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 12:19 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I've found my niche and don't buy many videos any more. I love the discussion, though.

My confession...Jean....I also really like to buy workout wear. Love leggings.
Oh my... a fellow legging fanatic!

What I tend to do is find a brand that I really love... it fits me well, it is the right fabric and the designs are cute. Then I find all the leggings in that brand I can and buy them. Urrghh... somebody stop me.

My fave right now are the leggings by "90 Degrees by Reflex". They are so soft and stretchy and the designs are CUTE!

Just found these at TJMaxx. ($16.99)

Old 12-20-16, 12:22 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Cute, Jean!

I love leggings for my Essentrics classes. I have way more pairs of leggings than I'll ever wear. I love basic black, crazy, and everything in between.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 12:42 PM  
Jags

My confession is:

Sometimes pressing the play button is the most difficult part of a workout.

Instead of stepping away, maybe do two things (as Bubbles mentioned):

- Join a check-in. (I'm joining the New Accountability check-in, but might not have anything to report until after New Years.)

- Avoid reading "new" dvd threads and VF Roost, but do reward yourself for NOT purchasing dvds.

And

- Plan your workout calendar (aka rotation) in advance. I have mine penciled in for all of 2017. Having a plan makes 'pressing play' much easier.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no buy, vidiot