Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-16, 07:28 PM  
jillf

I take yoga classes at a yoga studio and mostly run for my cardio. I use mostly KCM or Cathe for Weights.
jillf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 11:27 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

I take a variety of classes, toning and cardio. I really enjoy them and many are scripted (Les Mills, BeachBody, Barre) so they are a little more like a video.

I'm another that doesn't pay too much attention to the computers on the cardio equipment, unless I'm switching intensity or incline on a timed interval.

There are computers on the spinning bikes at one of the two gyms I go to, but they aren't readable by anyone else. I don't bother with it since they don't seem to be set the same from bike to bike. You can try the class and hang in the back. Who knows, you might be right up there in that first row in no time. Even if they rank people you may be able to enjoy the class without using the computer part.

The weights are a good change of pace, but I have a full set up at home and every gym around where i live has super crowded weight areas- pretty much all the time. Or I go to Bodypump.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 03:13 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I stopped going to spin classes at my gym for exactly this reason. There are monitors that have performance/ranking by bike number. I'm not motivated by competition so this does nothing for me and I find it very distracting.

Now I just go use the spin classes with my phone set on SSOD outside of class hours so I don't have to be subjected to that.

You might be surprised how good some of the classes are, at least at my gym. Give different instructors a try and you'll quickly discover the talented ones.
That ranking system sounds dreadful. The reason I like spinning is that everyone can go at her own pace and no one knows the speed or intensity of other riders. I am sure that the really advanced, competitive spinners like the ranking, but it wouldn't feel good to be last. I wouldn't want the instructor telling me to go faster either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I belong to a Lifetime gym that has all those computerized, screened cardio machines. Many of them require you to download an app and register on their site, which I don't want to do.

I've been doing Strong (the book) at the gym. I'm up to stage 6 and have lost several sizes so far. Since Crossfit became huge, they have put in more squat/deadlift racks (now 6 of them!), bumper plates, kettlebells, TRXes and a large area for floor exercises. They also have a pool and hot tub that I like to lounge in if my knee starts hurting. I rarely take classes since they don't usually have them late in the evening when I go there.
It figures they want people to download apps and register. That's just more info for companies to gather about people. I wouldn't do it either. I would not take my phone with me to work out.

Sue, congrats on your achievements! Thanks for mentioning the book. I will check it out. Have you been using the TRX and other equipment you mentioned? Does a trainer help you learn the exercises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
I take a variety of classes, toning and cardio. I really enjoy them and many are scripted (Les Mills, BeachBody, Barre) so they are a little more like a video.

I'm another that doesn't pay too much attention to the computers on the cardio equipment, unless I'm switching intensity or incline on a timed interval.

There are computers on the spinning bikes at one of the two gyms I go to, but they aren't readable by anyone else. I don't bother with it since they don't seem to be set the same from bike to bike. You can try the class and hang in the back. Who knows, you might be right up there in that first row in no time. Even if they rank people you may be able to enjoy the class without using the computer part.

The weights are a good change of pace, but I have a full set up at home and every gym around where i live has super crowded weight areas- pretty much all the time. Or I go to Bodypump.
Lynn, you are lucky to have those classes at your gym. I will try a spin class at the gym and see how it goes.

I used to belong to a gym but stopped as my home gym grew. I am content with the equipment and video workouts that I have, but joined the gym for the pools (indoor and outdoor), and because I have been feeling like I need a change.

There is a 14 day trial period, so I'll see how it goes.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 05:50 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I have been a member of two gyms for a few years now. I used to be a working out completely at home person.

I think the combination is great! Mixing it up has really upped my fitness level, although I still think you can accomplish almost all you need at home. I go to the bare bones Planet Fitness like some here, but I do it for convenience. It is located right around the corner from my boot camp, so after boot camp I go into PF to do strength training. I like the machines they have, and face it, there are some things you just can't do at home that machines help you do. I can go so much heavier and hit some muscles that are harder to really train with only free weights. Between scaling back my running and upping my weights, I've gotten some definition that I didn't have before.

The other thing I enjoy about the gym is the camaraderie of the people there. I have bonded more with my boot camp friends, but I do have people I see every day at Planet Fitness that I enjoy too.

Regarding the talk about the performance monitors..... my boot camp is getting ready to go to these monitors so that everyone can see how hard they are working. There will be a chest strap you can wear and your heart rate will appear on a monitor on the wall. I've never, ever cared about the details. I don't monitor anything, my steps, my heart rate, my calories, etc.... I just do it. It will be very interesting to see how this works out for people. I am guessing I won't be a huge fan.
Old 05-27-16, 07:43 AM  
bubbles76

Big Bubble is thinking about joining a gym. He really needs the extra motivation, and his job is centered around being a certain level of fitness. I will probably sign up as an add on to his membership. If we do sign up, I think he will just use the free weights, weight machines, and bike, and I'll probably just use the classes and TRX. I am not strong enough yet to go over 35 pounders, so I won't need the bigger weights yet. Good thing is they have a fully stocked play room and a huge monitor to view the kiddie room in the center of the gym, so I can take Tiny Bubble with me.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 10:55 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I have been a member of two gyms for a few years now. I used to be a working out completely at home person.

I think the combination is great! Mixing it up has really upped my fitness level, although I still think you can accomplish almost all you need at home. I go to the bare bones Planet Fitness like some here, but I do it for convenience. It is located right around the corner from my boot camp, so after boot camp I go into PF to do strength training. I like the machines they have, and face it, there are some things you just can't do at home that machines help you do. I can go so much heavier and hit some muscles that are harder to really train with only free weights. Between scaling back my running and upping my weights, I've gotten some definition that I didn't have before.

The other thing I enjoy about the gym is the camaraderie of the people there. I have bonded more with my boot camp friends, but I do have people I see every day at Planet Fitness that I enjoy too.

Regarding the talk about the performance monitors..... my boot camp is getting ready to go to these monitors so that everyone can see how hard they are working. There will be a chest strap you can wear and your heart rate will appear on a monitor on the wall. I've never, ever cared about the details. I don't monitor anything, my steps, my heart rate, my calories, etc.... I just do it. It will be very interesting to see how this works out for people. I am guessing I won't be a huge fan.
Hi Jeanne Marie! It's great that you have increased your fitness level and have made friends from going to the gyms! Those are my goals, too. I hope that the gyms give us an option whether to get connected to the technology. I used to wear a heart rate monitor, but stopped after the battery died. I prefer being able to focus my mind on the workout and how I am feeling. Those of us who have been working out for a long time can assess our intensity without technology.

I agree that using machines allows you to do exercises and go heavier than just using free weights. Years ago, I purchased a multi-station, single weight-stack home gym by Hoist. It was one of the best investments I ever made. I also bought a leg press machine from a gym's going out of business sale, and an assisted pull up/dip machine, and several other machines. Over the years, I also bought various cardio machines, like treadmills, Lifecycles, and stair climbers. So, I have built up my home gym and don't need the gym for the equipment. It was the pools at the gym that motivated me the most to join. Plus, needing a change of scenery and wanting to be around people (although that may change if the gym gets too crowded).

Another reason I have avoided being a gym member is that I hate monthly dues. Unless I go a lot, it bothers me to shell out the extra money, especially if the gym is expensive, which this one is. I figure I will try it for the summer, and decide in August whether to continue.
Old 05-27-16, 02:07 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
It figures they want people to download apps and register. That's just more info for companies to gather about people. I wouldn't do it either. I would not take my phone with me to work out.

Sue, congrats on your achievements! Thanks for mentioning the book. I will check it out. Have you been using the TRX and other equipment you mentioned? Does a trainer help you learn the exercises?
They have personal training available, but it's expensive and they push you to buy supplements. Strong has TRX and kettlebell exercises included in the program, along with barbell, dumbbell and cable exercises (you really need to belong to a gym or have a very well equipped home gym to do it). I was already familiar with kettlebells from taking classes years ago, but I'm just struggling through the TRX exercises on my own I think they have TRX classes available, but I'm not very fond of the TRX at all. Makes me feel like a trapped animal!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 07:53 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Hi Jeanne Marie! It's great that you have increased your fitness level and have made friends from going to the gyms! Those are my goals, too. I hope that the gyms give us an option whether to get connected to the technology. I used to wear a heart rate monitor, but stopped after the battery died. I prefer being able to focus my mind on the workout and how I am feeling. Those of us who have been working out for a long time can assess our intensity without technology.

I agree that using machines allows you to do exercises and go heavier than just using free weights. Years ago, I purchased a multi-station, single weight-stack home gym by Hoist. It was one of the best investments I ever made. I also bought a leg press machine from a gym's going out of business sale, and an assisted pull up/dip machine, and several other machines. Over the years, I also bought various cardio machines, like treadmills, Lifecycles, and stair climbers. So, I have built up my home gym and don't need the gym for the equipment. It was the pools at the gym that motivated me the most to join. Plus, needing a change of scenery and wanting to be around people (although that may change if the gym gets too crowded).

Another reason I have avoided being a gym member is that I hate monthly dues. Unless I go a lot, it bothers me to shell out the extra money, especially if the gym is expensive, which this one is. I figure I will try it for the summer, and decide in August whether to continue.
What happened to your personal training career? Do you not get the membership heavily subsidized because you are a personal trainer?

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 10:33 PM  
Getfit

I have 3 gym memberships along with my home gym. I belong to Planet Fitness which is in the same complex as my job. I go on my lunch hour. I will usually use the arc trainer for 30 min and 10 min on the hydro bed. The cost is $20 a month. I also have a lifetime membership to 24 hr fitness. I pay $20 year for the rest of my life. I might go there two to three times a month. They don't offer as many classes as they use to. 24 hr membership has declined since more no frills gyms have become available. I am going to 24 hr fitness on Sunday they just begun to offer Pop Pilates classes. I also belong to Las Vegas Athletic Club. I pay $98 a year for the rest of my life. This gym has some of the best fitness classes. They offer Mixxfit which is similar to Zumba with a pop/hip hop music, Les Mills classes. They just begun to offer Plyoga. They even have KB classes and metabolic conditioning. Classes start at 5 am and go until 9 pm. I don't use the machines at this gym due to the overcrowded ness. The weight rooms are packed but you see some great looking bodies. I get a lot of inspiration. I also utilize the pool here since they offer Aqua Zumba and Aqua boot camp. I work out in the morning at home and go to the gym after work and on weekends. I find myself working harder when I am in a grop setting.
Old 05-27-16, 11:44 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getfit View Post
I have 3 gym memberships along with my home gym. I belong to Planet Fitness which is in the same complex as my job. I go on my lunch hour. I will usually use the arc trainer for 30 min and 10 min on the hydro bed. The cost is $20 a month. I also have a lifetime membership to 24 hr fitness. I pay $20 year for the rest of my life. I might go there two to three times a month. They don't offer as many classes as they use to. 24 hr membership has declined since more no frills gyms have become available. I am going to 24 hr fitness on Sunday they just begun to offer Pop Pilates classes. I also belong to Las Vegas Athletic Club. I pay $98 a year for the rest of my life. This gym has some of the best fitness classes. They offer Mixxfit which is similar to Zumba with a pop/hip hop music, Les Mills classes. They just begun to offer Plyoga. They even have KB classes and metabolic conditioning. Classes start at 5 am and go until 9 pm. I don't use the machines at this gym due to the overcrowded ness. The weight rooms are packed but you see some great looking bodies. I get a lot of inspiration. I also utilize the pool here since they offer Aqua Zumba and Aqua boot camp. I work out in the morning at home and go to the gym after work and on weekends. I find myself working harder when I am in a grop setting.
Wow! You sound motivated! . How did you get the lifetime rates? Those are good deals.

Tags
gym membership, gyms, health clubs, home vs gym