Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-16, 06:15 AM  
dnna

working out in a basement

I am looking at two condos. one has a finished basement with carpeting and heat/cooling. It looks like a good workout space. the other condo has an unfinished basement. What flooring would be best ?I have a lot of puzzle mats I currently use in a bedroom that has wood floors. Would the puzzle mats be sufficient over concrete> or would I have to put down wood floors or carpet?
thanks

donna
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 06:21 AM  
Tugger31

I work out in a finished basement and my workout space has standard Berber carpet. I def use a yoga mat for yoga b/c otherwise my toes slip a little, but I like it for other workouts b/c of the extra cushion. I think my joints would kill me if I had a harder surface. I do have to modify a bit with some of the 180 or 360 moves/pivots in a few kickboxing workouts, but I'd prob do that anyway b/c I have a tweaky knee. I have a Reebok step and have never had a problem with it slipping on the carpet. I think carpet any thicker than the Berber would be too thick and could lead to injuries.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 06:27 AM  
PhyllisG

I used to workout on Berber carpet and always wished for wood floors. Well now I am working out on wood floors and really miss that Berber carpet. It provided that extra bit of cushioning.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:15 AM  
Vantreesta

I workout in a finished basement. We did not put carpet in my gym, though. That room is wall to wall puzzle mats with a carpet remnant over the top. I haven't had any issues with it not feeling cushioned enough. The rest of the basement has a nice pad and berber carpet that feels great when I walk on it but I've never tried jumping around on it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:23 AM  
muggle

I also workout in a finished basement. It has the berber carpet right now. I'm changing to the mats because I think the carpet is thinning and I can feel it in my joints. Depending on the mat thickness you might want to consider 2 layers. Maybe others will post on this as the mats are new to me.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 07:25 AM  
Jewels5

I work out on puzzle mats on top of tile flooring and it works just fine, better than when the puzzle mats were on the carpeting. The people who lived here before us had a small area tiled off (I suspect due to water), but since the mats don't fit perfectly wall-to-wall I had to put weights on all corners to prevent the mats from slipping during cardio workouts. I don't do crazy high impact cardio anymore so they may not even slip without them.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 08:21 AM  
charfred

http://www.fitnessdepot.ca/C11FCA690...l#.V0BgOb5XLIU

I use these in my finished basement. I used to work out on the carpet directly but my joints were starting to feel it. These are great as they roll up easily when need be, but have plenty of support (more than puzzle mats). I know there are many different sizes/brands out there. It is probably the single best fitness purchase I have ever made.
Old 05-21-16, 08:33 AM  
marki64

I also have the berber carpet in my basement with extra cushioned padding underneath. It's held up well for the last 3 years. If it gets a little worn, it's the basement so I don't care.

I use to workout out on concrete basement floor. I used puzzle mats, but if you do a lot of cardio with a lot of movement (like Amy Bento/Christi Taylor), it slides around and the puzzles can come undone. I tripped several times, so my husband ended up gluing them to the floor with a really strong adhesive. That worked. If you are doing more stationary workouts, it probably won't be a problem. I do a lot of high intensity cardio and found berber with good padding works for me. I also found the puzzles do get worn out. One of my weights put a hole in it. It was too much futzing to put it together. Carpet wasn't that expensive either, compared to workout flooring. That's really expensive. But I think I would go that route, instead of puzzle mats.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-16, 08:55 AM  
ardnas

I also work out in a finished basement with berber carpet and cushioned padding. I have padded & puzzle mats but never use them & only use a yoga mat when I do yoga. I would think puzzle mats over concrete wouldn't be thick enough to be comfortable for (at least my) feet and joints.
Old 05-21-16, 11:47 AM  
Cafelattee

I workout in a finished basement with the etched concrete. My gym room has 1/2 inch shock absorbent puzzle mat wall to wall. I have a rug with that tight commercial like carpet I throw over the mat when I do slider workouts.

I do high impact workout with no problem.
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flooring, puzzle mats