Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-16, 08:50 PM  
jordan

I finally finished all the main workouts and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

I'm into the second week of the level 1 rotation. As I said in the other thread I'm experiencing these workouts from my current fitness level of High beginner/Low intermediate. I also spent many years using Cathe's workouts as an advanced level exerciser. So, I formed my initial impressions based on my experience. I already posted my initial thoughts on the workouts in the other thread so I'll just give some general thoughts on the series.

My initial thoughts
Love ICE and will get a lot of use out of it. Overall, I think Cathe did a great job. I was able to do these workouts with some modifications. I was challenged so I know I have room to grow. Since these workouts will be done over again and again they should be challenging and they are.

The name of the series is INTERMEDIATE CONDITIONING EXTREME which is the direction Cathe took the workouts. Intermediates should be able to work up to these workouts and advanced will like these too.

I don't necessarily think Cathe is branching out to a line of intermediate workouts at this time. It seems to me the goal is to get people to the next fitness level. Although, if these are popular you never know…..

Cathe has shown or explained modifications in past workouts and she has also had a background exerciser show modifications in the past (few and far between but they are there). Unfortunately, this series didn't change the way she uses a modifier.

When asked about the modifier, Cathe answered:
"The modifier will be showing modified options wherever necessary throughout the workout to make the exercise more doable/comfortable/or lower impact."
I don't think she lived up to this expectation, specifically for people needing help with either the intensity or impact. However, I felt most of the workouts were solidly in the intermediate level of fitness [and there are some verbal cues and modifications included] so this wasn't a deal breaker. Also, I do agree that Amanda did not relate well to the modifications enough to show the intended audience how beneficial the workouts could be with them (She did a pretty good job with CLBB).

Production was good, the music was for the most part unremarkable (I was very annoyed by the music used in CUB), Cathe gets a thumbs up for listening to consumers on premixes.

I really think I will enjoy this series as much as CTX.

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 09:08 PM  
jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom View Post
Joni, I haven't purchased the set, but there are a couple of them I might purchase separately. I'm confused about the Muscle Meltdowns as well. How are they supposed to be used and has Cathe addressed that? There's too much information in the other thread that I just don't have the patience to wade through. I gather each disc has a dedicated body part that is worked in their Muscle Meltdown section. The CLB disc happened to have shoulders. I noticed the Metabolic Total Body workout has chest. Why would someone do a total body workout and add 15-20 minutes of chest work after it? It would be great if there was a disc with all the Muscle Meltdown included, like CTX Upper Body. But there isn't. So what are we supposed to do with these add-ons?

Anyone know?
I don't think there is any one way to use muscle meltdowns. I think using them like CTX is one way.

Maybe this link might help a little
http://cathe.com/forum/threads/about...tdowns.301829/

jordan
jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 09:25 PM  
lesia

It's set up that way so that if you wanted to do a 1 body part a day after your main workout you could or you could work opposing muscles (Chest/Back)or (Biceps/Triceps)

I hope this helps.

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 09:45 PM  
isebelleg44

I did muscle meltdown chest today and though it was shorter than back, I found myself getting bored. Same format as back five different exercises, twelve reps each, three times through. Only four of the exercises were basically the same, two bench presses and two flys on a flat bench and than on an incline.

Cathe goes light here too using twelve pounds on all the exercises. She also does incline push ups on the step. I found this one repetitive and wish the exercises were more varied, but at least its only about 15 minutes.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 09:50 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan View Post
I don't think there is any one way to use muscle meltdowns. I think using them like CTX is one way.

Maybe this link might help a little
http://cathe.com/forum/threads/about...tdowns.301829/

jordan
Thanks for the link. I get it now.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 10:06 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I've done all the workouts except for the kickbox and the last half of the mat. I like these workouts. I like the fact that they are in the 40-45 minute range. There is a lot of variety. The exercises are varied and effective. The series is not killer but offers enough of a challenge (for me). I will definitely be using ICE a lot.

I liked the Muscle Meltdowns and will be doing them together (today I did biceps, triceps and shoulders). It's basic weight training, but effective. I wish they were all together on a disc.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 04:50 PM  
angie_nrs

I've done all the workouts now and, not surprisingly, I love them! Cathe has always been my go-to for working out. Here's my pros and cons:

Pros:
*There is a lot of variety within the series itself. You could mix things up and use them for moderate cardio, advanced cardio using the blizzards, weight training, floor work, or mix and match all of it together to make some really great routines.
*A great selection of premixes to fit into your schedule regardless if you have a lot of time or not.
*Some really unique moves on almost all of the workouts. I really love that! It's not just a rehash of her other stuff.
*No dread factor.....these are seriously fun, but still kick up a good HR and sweat.
*Cute outfits
*Easily modifiable either up or down in the cardio or weights to match whatever mood you are in....either hit it hard or bring it down....your choice. Theses are perfect for the advanced exerciser who wants to take it down a notch but still get an effective workout and wants the endorphin rush....maybe due to an illness, injury, sleep deprived, or whatever.
*The pace of the moves, for the most part, is nice and slow allowing for really good form and really getting into the move and also using heavier weights if desired.

Cons:
*Not a fan of the synthesizer music at all! I found that the music in the blizzards and meltdowns are typically better then the original workout itself I think b/c they were more beat driven. Some of the music is better than others in that I didn't notice it, but there were some that got on my nerves. This is coming from someone who in not a music snob....but I do prefer throwback music from the 80's even if it is the remake stuff.
*Modifications aren't consistent, which doesn't really bother me, but it is an issue for some.
*It would have been nice to have a 'bonus' disk with all the meltdowns and/or blizzards on one disk for those of us who don't use the w/o blender.
*I would have liked some premixes with the blizzards first followed by the original w/o and then meltdowns. However, I realize Cathe can't please everyone and the premixes she does offer are greatly appreciated!

I also didn't really enjoy or use Ripped with Hiit much due to the breakneck pacing on some of the workouts. I just think some of the moves were an invitation to injury, which I can't bounce back from as easily as I used to, especially with my PF and wonky knee. Some of the blizzard blasts in this set really move fast too, but overall the pace was great. With this entire set there were only a handful of moves that I didn't like, most of which have been mentioned in the other thread. I can easily replace those with something else though so I will be using this set a lot!! This was definitely a good buy
angie_nrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-16, 09:18 PM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

I like this set quite a bit. I'm an advanced exerciser and I don't really find these workouts to be all that less intense than her previous series, except that she does seem to take longer breaks between exercises. One con for me is that I find the final stretch sequences on all the ICE workouts to be much shorter and less thorough than the ones she's done more recently, especially in the XTrain and the Flextrain/Legs & Abs/Great Glutes series.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 06:26 AM  
IceQueen07

I'm new to Cathe workouts and just got Ondemand for a month to try things out. Did Metabolic Total Body this morning and although I am used to shorter workouts, I really enjoyed this one and her pacing was a little slower than RWH when using weights. I can see actually being able to up the weights if I wanted on some exercises. I am going to try some of the other ones before deciding to buy some of them.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-16, 06:55 AM  
cmiyachi

I did them all finally as well. Agree with many of the comments. I think these workouts can easily be made more difficult by increasing the weight Cathe uses.

The muscle meltdowns and blizzard blasts are my favorite. I also love giant sets. The blizzard blasts are tough. String these together in various ways and you have a tough workout.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe ice, ice series, modifiers, music off option, to the mat