Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-15, 10:47 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
It's a lot of $, and not something I would ever do, but better spent on fitness than other possible vices or addictions!
I would rather spend the $ on fitness than a night out on the town...or shopping.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:49 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
You are jumping to conclusions here big time. My YTT was around $1000 and I live in a rural area where classes are not expensive. The most I paid on a multi class card is around $11/class. I have a home practice and I go to the occasional yoga class at the fitness center where I am a member and swim regularly. My membership there is $55/month and, being a member, the yoga classes are $5.50/class.
Man, from where I sit I thought you lived in Hawaii ... and maybe you get to take from Gilad, too; when the guy in town.

I don't get around much. Of course, it's all here (so goes that other cliché). The cheapest (non-free, non-trial, non-exhibition) class was I paid $6 to $8 on a donation class (she'd look at me jaundiced eyed, if I didn't pay that much, because she kept lighting candles in there and talking to me about The Heart of Yoga before and after class) oh, allow me to add that the class was Freeform Yoga (not unlike Erich Schiffman's Freedom Style yoga, and I supplied my own moves as did each and everybody else in the class... so that should count for another $7 in cash equivalents...) and her class in a nearby Park was a mandatory $5 spot. Studio that sponsored the donation class was Facebook and email bombing me about joining (membership ... mmm hmm) for a while. The most I paid on a class (a.k.a. "workshop") in conscious dance, was $20. It will be well over a year since I ventured out of this place to take any live classes.

I am a Type 2 diabetic. It is never recommended that we exercise alone. I had not yet been diagnosed at the time I took the (UNSUPERVISED) Freeform Yoga class. Some young woman doing headstand without the adequate control was giggled at by the nervous teacher when she fell out of the pose with a loud "thud" ... [I noticed she did not pay a dime and did not get to relate to the teacher at all ... and as far as I remember, never returned ... ]

In any case, I feel I paid instructors for what I wanted when I wanted, and leave it at that.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:54 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Man, from where I sit I thought you lived in Hawaii ... and maybe you get to take from Gilad, too; when the guy in town.
I don't live in Hawaii, as much as I love it there. I live in Canada. Again, you like to jump to conclusions.....

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I would rather spend the $ on fitness than a night out on the town...or shopping.
Yep, me too Jackie! Fitness & activity are just what I do on a daily basis. It's part of my life and it doesn't cost me a fortune.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 06-10-15, 11:01 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
I don't live in Hawaii, as much as I love it there. I live in Canada. Again, you like to jump to conclusions.....
I NEEED the cardio, even with bad knees.

[So even with bad knees, I feint jumping, and I swap pendulums for some of the other things ...]

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 06-10-15, 11:17 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
I NEEED the cardio, even with bad knees.

[So even with bad knees, I feint jumping, and I swap pendulums for some of the other things ...]
LOL...maybe your cardio should be "jumping to conclusions"!!!

Sorry....I couldn't resist.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 11:21 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:

I was way ahead of you on that one. Jumping to conclusions implied "cardio" ... to fill in the blanks is begging the joke ...

-Bettina

Old 06-10-15, 11:23 PM  
TinierTina

Hawaii Kai!!

Aside from which, I can't begin to imagine what Gilad would charge if he held a workshop in New York City. Would there be a waiting list?

How do these things even work?

-Bettina

Old 06-11-15, 01:12 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:

Ha ha, couldn't have said it better myself, high five Jackie!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Old 06-11-15, 05:17 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Yes, that's how I feel, too! My cousin lives in NYC, has a good job and can afford to take boutique classes. She still doesn't spend nearly what these women in the article spend, but part of it is the social aspect--she'll meet up with friends for a class, they'll get a drink or a bite after, or just turn in after the class. The boutique studios know this, of course, and capitalize on it--offering fun themed classes at peak times to turn fitness into social event.

It is true that people have their priorities. Spending $40 on drinks in NYC takes 20 minutes! Why not spend that for an hour-long workout you enjoy with or without a friend, if you can afford it? It's just not the only way to get to get in a good workout, and like anything, it's disconcerting to have people spending so far beyond their means.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness classes, fitness classes cost, gym membership