Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-10-15, 07:33 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
For one session at a time, once in a blue moon; with a Yelp deal or without ...
My only problem is, I've just gotta play tourist or part-time-resident or superannuated (very superannuated) student [I know: we Students of Life don't get the student discount]; and/or go to something underattended ... I've got some Athleta activewear that still is unpilled; I don't look that plebian (what am I even saying!?!)

It really gets me when there are people to whom (whether they could afford it or not) each session is taken for granted, that they are regulars - and are not there just during promotion season ...
I knew something was rotten afoot, and that the website Well + Good NYC had been preaching to the choir when around last summer, I'd started seeing a sprinkling of comments (that they actually let pass through unmoderated out) deriding the constant commercial drumbeat of their pushing boutique classes that nearly nobody could afford ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 08:13 PM  
carly

I'm all for taking a class, workshop or several months of a class type "for the experience". But I'm glad I found videos many years ago. My videos are "private lessons from the pros" in my livingroom. Great cuing. Current fitness trends! Mostly bargain pricing.......ok, I must be an introvert. (But note to self, I could purchase alot of videos and streaming for one month at $550.)
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 09:02 PM  
TinierTina

Did anyone realize or know that the household income inequality in New York City has no equivalent, historically or even now; except for the likes of 19th century Madrid, Spain?

Wondering, I think I did not find the summer article I may have referred to, but this link has several commenters from Spain (coincidence?)

http://wellandgood.com/2013/11/07/ar...ut-of-control/

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 06-10-15, 09:05 PM  
TinierTina

Sales Tax is Higher on Merchandise than on Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
I'm all for taking a class, workshop or several months of a class type "for the experience". But I'm glad I found videos many years ago. My videos are "private lessons from the pros" in my livingroom. Great cuing. Current fitness trends! Mostly bargain pricing.......ok, I must be an introvert. (But note to self, I could purchase alot of videos and streaming for one month at $550.)
Yeah, me too. Even with the NYC sales tax on the videos of 8.875% ...

-Bettina

Old 06-10-15, 09:46 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I've enjoyed taking classes from time to time mostly when we were traveling. I can't imagine spending this much on gym classes. I started with Jane Fonda on VHS back in the 80's and love working out at home. I can workout whenever I please. I buy my workout clothes at Marshalls and wear them until they fall apart
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

It's a lot of $, and not something I would ever do, but better spent on fitness than other possible vices or addictions!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:19 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
It's a lot of $, and not something I would ever do, but better spent on fitness than other possible vices or addictions!
Hey, wait a minute! You probably went in for the BIG spend, doing yoga teacher training and yoga workshops and whatnot.

They cannot be cheap at all, if done in the past 25 years ... don't care where in the world you took that training. Yoga teacher training is a big cash cow.

Seems it's sprinkle and/or spray ...

I will not allow an upsale by any yoga studio, any more. They keep their prices high; or they go out of business where I live.

-Bettina

Old 06-10-15, 10:33 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Hey, wait a minute! You probably went in for the BIG spend, doing yoga teacher training and yoga workshops and whatnot.

They cannot be cheap at all, if done in the past 25 years ... don't care where in the world you took that training. Yoga teacher training is a big cash cow.
You are jumping to conclusions here big time. My YTT was around $1000 and I live in a rural area where classes are not expensive. The most I paid on a multi class card is around $11/class. I have a home practice and I go to the occasional yoga class at the fitness center where I am a member and swim regularly. My membership there is $55/month and, being a member, the yoga classes are $5.50/class.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:45 PM  
carly

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I have several friends I socialize with over expensive dinners and/or cocktail bar outings. But you know I would prefer sharing a boutique class experience.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 10:47 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have taught classes, and I have attended classes. I have never paid that much for a "boutique" class. Most of the time I take advantage of a free class and then have purchased punch cards; haven't done that for awhile. Most of the classes have been $10-20/class.

My take on the article is it is more the east coast (NYC) mentality.

Our prices in the midwest are not as high...more similar to Pam's costs. I have a friend who recently did YTT in Minneapolis for less than $1K.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness classes, fitness classes cost, gym membership