Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-15, 03:35 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
Spending money like that has nothing to do with fitness and everything to do with status. The comment at the end of the article about the high price being alluring was really interesting. Reminds me of an early episode of Mad Men where a department store wants to raise prices to drive sales - because it will seem more exclusive and luxurious.
I think the 'Jenny' who expressed 'deep suspicion' of anything discounted sounds like she needs a good financial counselor. Hiding stuff from her bf, being lured by something just because it's expensive... yikes! Loved one of the comments: ""I’m always drawn to anything with a high price". As a retail worker, thank you for being the person who buys full price. But as a human being, I think that is the dumbest statement I’ve ever heard. No wonder you are hiding your expensive habit from your boyfriend."
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 03:49 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I think the 'Jenny' who expressed 'deep suspicion' of anything discounted sounds like she needs a good financial counselor. Hiding stuff from her bf, being lured by something just because it's expensive... yikes!
Jenny who feels she needs to hide things from her BF should either get a counselor or a new BF. Not sure which. But when my ex-bf thought I was being too frivolous on getting massage therapy for my back injury (when it first happened...so this was treatment) I started realizing where his priorities were, and they weren't what was best for me. Again, he saw the benefit it had on me...how before the therapy I was in so much pain I couldn't do my homework or function, and after, I would blow through a problem set in an hour (that I couldn't even understand for the pain before.) And, I was paying for my college...and my massage therapy, whereas his daddy paid for his college, car and all his expenses.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 03:56 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Jenny who feels she needs to hide things from her BF should either get a counselor or a new BF. Not sure which. But when my ex-bf thought I was being too frivolous on getting massage therapy for my back injury (when it first happened...so this was treatment) I started realizing where his priorities were, and they weren't what was best for me. Again, he saw the benefit it had on me...how before the therapy I was in so much pain I couldn't do my homework or function, and after, I would blow through a problem set in an hour (that I couldn't even understand for the pain before.) And, I was paying for my college...and my massage therapy, whereas his daddy paid for his college, car and all his expenses.
Good point, but I didn't express my opinion solely on the fact that she was hiding expenses from her bf, more that she seems to base something's value on it's price tag. Of course, I don't know her, but that attitude that 'something expensive must be good' is, in my opinion, not a good one.
Old 06-10-15, 05:37 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Holy Cow! I had no idea "boutique classes" costs that much!! I live a very sheltered life, lol! I am an introvert, and I am very happy working out with dvd's/streaming at home! I don't feel at all bad about all I have spent on my home fitness stuff over the years!
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 05:54 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
It also explains why we can't comprehend it. Here at VF we are a tribe that workouts out at home.
So true!! I love that idea. I'm not wholly an introvert (I'm smack dab in the middle of the range), and while I enjoy some of the classes at the gym, I like the variety of working out at home.

But, even we have our instructors who charge crazy prices. Think of TA Streaming, or even P57 streaming. Maybe not $400 a month, but it would be easy to rack up quite the bill in streaming services.

I kind of feel sorry for the girl who thinks you have to pay top price for the latest and the greatest. There's always going to be something later and greater. I spent so much of the teens, 20's and even some of the my 30's chasing an ideal that was impossible for me. I did some amazing things and I'm happy I did them, but I think I wasted a lot of time worrying about things that in the long run, really don't matter.
Old 06-10-15, 06:11 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
There are many reasons why people go this route. But, since I'm currently reading Quiet - the recent-ish book about being introverted (which I am) - at least the social aspect of the whole boutique fitness industry doesn't appeal to me. (And it's why I'm a vidiot at home.

It was an interesting read. Thanks!
My bank account balance does not live anywhere near these studios' target market(s): there are New York City studios like that not just in Manhattan, but also in Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, Astoria, Forest Hills, Bayside, Riverdale (Bronx- not where Archie Andrews lives)... in any neighborhood with a Starbucks and/or caffe bene and/or throw a rock you hit a day spa or a wine bar ...

Prices are slightly lower outside of the red hot commercial centers, but there are fewer crowds but also truncated class lengths.

Give me Yoga in the Park (in any part of this New York City) any day ... well, there was only one session I'd taken of yoga in the Park, with a teacher I had for another class (the only series of by donation classes I ever went to) and I trusted ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15, 06:13 PM  
TinierTina

I'm not really an Introvert ... but

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
Holy Cow! I had no idea "boutique classes" costs that much!! I live a very sheltered life, lol! I am an introvert, and I am very happy working out with dvd's/streaming at home! I don't feel at all bad about all I have spent on my home fitness stuff over the years!
Sherry
Gotta get my hands on this book, http://www.amazon.com/New-Slow-City-.../dp/1608682390

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 06-10-15, 06:28 PM  
TinierTina

Judging from what I've Paid for a single Download these Days

I'd hate to see some live, boutique or chain boutique teachers who have set up shop near enough to me, in Brooklyn or Manhattan start a subscription streaming of their offerings ... and charging quite a bit like Buti or TA does ...

I'm talking only about yoga, dance /dance fitness or the martial arts.

I don't know if they deeply discount online bootcamp or what?

-Bettina

Old 06-10-15, 06:39 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfit41 View Post
Sherry
They're probably not that much where you live--NYC prices are probably the steepest anywhere!

I've been taking live barre classes over the past year. I've gotten some very good deals--as low as $75 for a month of unlimited classes, which in my area is a steal! I'm very frugal in other areas of life, so I didn't have a hard time justifying it, but even still, I'm cancelling my latest membership. I had it at a good price, but I miss the convenience and variety of my DVDs.

I've met many people in my classes who are amazed that I was such a faithful home exerciser for so many years. I guess there are a lot of people who can't motivate themselves to exercise at home. And as Beyond Omega said, if it helps you, it can really be worth the money. We all have our priorities, and exercise for health and well-being is certainly a worthwhile one.

Still, there are much more affordable options out there than boutique classes, even in NYC. I just don't get the 'I'm enticed by it because it's expensive' mentality.
Old 06-10-15, 06:53 PM  
TinierTina

Actually, I could be in with these Snobs

Quote:
I think this explains it. I know when I took classes in DC, that was what it was for. It was belly dance classes, but still I was going for an experience more than the training. (I was never planning on becoming a belly dancer or anything.) I also took Pilates class but for health - it was the first step forward when my back injury was acute. I paid $15/class for Pilates ($60/month) and my friends...who watched me suffer, and then improve, thought it was excessive. Years later, I paid $12/class with a punch card for Callanetics, but I paid another $12/class in round-trip gas into Portland, but it was worth all the time and money, as I had moved to a really stressful job, so I got so much more than just fitness getting out to that class. People I know thought it was crazy, but I would have gone crazy not doing it.

So, I do think while I'm not going to pay thousands of dollars/month for fitness classes, we all decide what is worth it to us.

He goes on to say:
I think this is true. It also explains why we can't comprehend it. Here at VF we are a tribe that workouts out at home.
For one session at a time, once in a blue moon; with a Yelp deal or without ...
My only problem is, I've just gotta play tourist or part-time-resident or superannuated (very superannuated) student [I know: we Students of Life don't get the student discount]; and/or go to something underattended ... I've got some Athleta activewear that still is unpilled; I don't look that plebian (what am I even saying!?!)

It really gets me when there are people to whom (whether they could afford it or not) each session is taken for granted, that they are regulars - and are not there just during promotion season ...

-Bettina

Tags
fitness classes, fitness classes cost, gym membership