Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-15, 04:30 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Tabata Transformation System, the Surrender workout

This review is based off my previewing the first workout in the Tabata Transformation System set, Surrender. I'm dealing with the mother of all colds so have not actually done the workout.

Although this system is marketed as a 20 minute workout, the 20 minutes do not include the warm up or cool down. So if you include these, the actual start to finish workout time is just over 31 minutes.

When you get to the main menu, you have 3 options to choose from: tabata, tabata +turbo tabata profound strength, or tabata + turbo tabata breakthrough cardio. There is no music off option to choose.

Set, Exercisers, and Music - The set reminds a little bit of a loft. There are faux brick walls with faux windows in the background and a large mat with Tabata on the floor. A side wall also boasts the Tabata logo. Other than that, there's no clutter or other accessories. There are 4 backgrounder exercisers, 2 men and 2 women, and they are wearing all black athletic gear. One of the women is the modifier for the workout. PJ Stahl is the lead and is wearing all white. The music is mostly instrumental and is matched to the section of the workout. In the warm up it's more subdued, in the tabata section, it's really driving.

No equipment is needed for this workout. PJ says this first phase is a foundation for all future work.

Warm Up: The warm up lasts about 5:40 minutes. Each exercise in the warm up is done for 5 reps. The first exercise, ground to overhead, is inserted between the other warm up moves. The moves are ground to overhead, walk out, up dog to down dog w/ pedal feet, spider lunge stretch to half kneeling quad stretch (right, then left), forward fold to sumo squat.

Conditioning: The 20 minute clock starts with this section. 3 exercises done for 10 reps followed by 45 seconds of skaters make up a round that lasts for 2:30. You repeat the round 4 times totally just over 10 minutes. There are no breaks between exercises or between rounds. The exercises in this workout are unweighted squats, reverse lunges (right, then left), plank/push up/shift back, skaters. In this section the modifier shows modifications for depth of the move and does the plank/push up/shift back move from the knees.

Tabata: After a brief rest where PJ demonstrates the two moves that are alternated during this phase, the tabata section begins. It's 20 seconds of all out work with 10 seconds rest. It lasts for 4 minutes. The exercises are rocket jumps and plank to sumo jumps. All the exercisers wind up going at their own speed and tend to slow down as the 4 minutes progresses. The modifier shows modifications for depth and not for impact. At the end of this section everyone looks totally gassed.

Core Conditioning: After a short 30 second rest it's on to the core conditioning segment. In this section 2 exercises are alternated for 30 seconds and that makes up a round. You do 4 rounds. There are no breaks between exercises or between rounds. The exercises are butterfly sit ups and alternating vertical toe touches. The modifier shows partial sit ups and bent legs a modifications. At the end of this segment the 20 minutes are finished.

Cool Down/Stretch: After the core section you go straight to the cool down which last for about 4:30 minutes. The exercises are forward fold w/ sway, then a hold on the right, then left, standing quad stretch, triceps stretch, seated hip cradle right, then left, and seated cross leg rotation right, then left.

PJ does about the half the workout. After he starts an exercise he will go around and point out a background exerciser, or offer encouragement before joining back in for the last few seconds. There's a lot of 'Don't cheat' and 'Don't quit' talk which comes directly from the marketing materials and the videos posted on YouTube. Since I was just previewing I noticed it seemed a bit repetitive. I doubt I would notice it will doing the workout as I'd be gasping for air or cursing PJ.

As demonstrated by PJ, I'd say this is an advanced workout. It can be made more intermediate by following the modifier or by going at a slower pace than what is demonstrated. Although the marketing materials say that anyone can do this system, I think it would be too much for beginners. It's tough!!!!!!

Fitness happens one choice at a time - Michelle Dozois

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 05:14 PM  
catcrazy

Thank you sooo much, I really think I may have to cave now!!

Hope you feel better!!
catcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-15, 05:46 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Thank you SO MUCH! What a great review!

May I ask, is there the option to skip the warm up anywhere? I really like that option for when I link things together.
Old 02-07-15, 06:16 PM  
catcrazy

I have a question also. I have Insanity Max and I think I read you do also, how does it compare to that Tabata? Thanks!!
Old 02-08-15, 09:08 AM  
s2546

thank you dutch girl. really appreciate your time on this. very helpful; feel better!

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-15, 12:21 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Answering some questions.

Quote:
May I ask, is there the option to skip the warm up anywhere?
The sections seem to be chaptered so you can just hit next on your remote and be at the next section.
Quote:
I have Insanity Max and I think I read you do also, how does it compare to that Tabata? Thanks!!
I have Insanity Max 30 as well. Since I haven't done a Tabata workout yet my thoughts are based on my best guess. The warm up is a true warm up and not just a few minutes of slightly less intense exercise. The conditioning segment would be less intense than Max 30 as there are a combination of plyometric moves with strength moves. That being said, this section doesn't look easy as it's 4 rounds and there is no rest between exercises or rounds. PJ says you need to have your heart rate around 70-75% before starting the Tabata section. The tabata sections are brutal and everyone looks completely fried at the end of it. And they are pushing it!!!! The core section will seem easier by comparison. However, I imagine when you are completely gassed that this will still seem like a massive challenge. In the workouts I've previewed the backgrounders start slowing in the core section in rounds 3 & 4. At the very end before heading into the cool down/stretch they all look spent.

The truth is, my body, whether I love it or not, is the vessel that houses my soul. And for that, it should be honored - Theresa Ruth Howard
Old 02-08-15, 12:30 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

What's in the package

Here's some information about what's in the basic package.

Literature
- the welcome letter and 'how to take your before and after photos' guide. This has a very BeachBody feel to it.
- the wall calendar with Tabata and Turbo + Turbo Elite rotations.
- the 5 day Jump Start Plan.
- the 20-20-60 Meal Plan.
- the official Tabata Fitness Guide.

The quality of the written materials is high (solid, glossy, paper, great graphics etc.)

Accessories
- a tape measure. This tape measure puts BeachBody's tape measure to shame. It's PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The DVDs
- 15 DVDs in a high quality cardboard book type thing. If you're familiar with Focus T25, P90X3, or Insanity Max 30 you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 02-08-15, 01:28 PM  
dutchgirl
VF Supporter

Exercises for each workout

Intention

Conditioning - 10X In-Out Jump Squats, 10X Prone Back Extension, 10X each 1-Leg Bent Knee Glute Bridge R/L, 2 Shuffle Touch Floor

Tabata - Tick Tock Jump, Angled Running Man

Core - Hand Plank Alternating Leg Raise, 90 Degree Crunch w/ Heel Touch

Commit

Conditioning - 10X (5 each) Push-Up + Row, 10X Reverse Lunge + Knee Up R/L, 10X Squat, Quarter Sumo Squat Core Rotations

Tabata - Burpee Sprint, Split Squat Jump 180

Core - Front Elbow Plank Hold, Seated Russian Twist

Focus

Conditioning - 10X Triple Sumo Squat, 10X Prone Snow Angels,
10X Each 1-Leg RDL R/L, Lateral Jumps

Tabata - Flying Sumo Plank, Starburst

Core - 3 Reach Crunch, Bicycle Crunch

Drive

Conditioning - 10X Each Alternating Stationary Lateral Lunge, 10X Each Quadruped Opposite Straight Arm/Leg Raise R/L, !0X Hand Release Arm Reach Push-Up, Boxer Alternating Jab

Tabata - Alternating Split Rocket Jump, Tick Tock

Core - Bent Knee Hollow Body Hold, Alternating Rotational Crunch

Develop - This starts Level 2

Conditioning - 3 Rounds: 8X Push-Up + Shoulder Taps, 10X Each Drop Lunge R/L, 12X Bent Over Row + External Rotation

4 Rounds: 30s 3 vertical jumps 3 air squats, 30s Jog/3-3 High Knees

Tabata - Rocket Jump 90, Straddle Plank + Tuck Jump

Core - Bent Knee Sit-Up, Straight Leg Butt Ups

Build

Conditioning - 3 Rounds: 8X Each Hand Plank Alt. Knee Tuck Up + Alternating Row, 10X Each 1-Leg RDL + Knee Hug, 12X Squat Jump Alternating 90 Degree Rotation

4 Rounds: 30s Jumping Jacks, 30s Jog/3-3 Lateral Quick Jumps

Tabata - Jumping Mt. Climber, Burpee Tuck Jump

Core - Elow Plank Alternating Leg Raise, Climb the Rope Sit-Up

Energy - does not have Tabata section

Conditioning - 3 Rounds: 8X Plank T Rotations, 10X Glute Bridge Marching, 12X Lateral Squat Jump

4 Rounds: 30s Alternating Double Knee, 30s Jog/3 Vertical Jumps

3 Rounds: 8X Push-Up to Up-Down, 10x Each Single Leg Squat Floor Touch R/L, 12X Each Bear Rotations

Core - Straight Leg Reverse Crunch, Rotational Crunch + Leg Extension (15s each side)

Elevate

Conditioning - 3 Rounds: 8X Each 1-Leg RDL Ts, 10X Each Lateral Lunge Knee Up R/L, 12X Each Squat Alternating Kicks

4 Rounds: 30s Double Hop Squat, 30s Jog/3s Athletic Stance Pogos

Tabata - Plank Tick Tocks, Athletic Stance Split Squat 90

Core - Hollow Body Swimmer Kicks, Basic Crunch

Thrive

Conditioning - 3 Rounds: 8X Each Reverse Lunge Knee Up Hop, 10X Triple Sumo Squat + Row, 12X Hand Release Push-Up + Alternating Leg Raise

4 Rounds: 30s Pogo w/ Alt Double Lateral Toe Tap, 30s Jog/Hit the Deck

Tabata - Angled Running Man + Windmill Arms, Rocket Jump 180

Core - Hand Plank Alternating Knee to Shoulder, Straight Leg Reverse Crunch + Rotation

Spark - This starts Level 3

Conditioning - 2 Rounds: 8X Each Lateral Lunge Knee Up Hop, 10X In-Out Hand Step Push-Up, 12X Each Glute Bridge Marching w/ Hip Flexion, Jump Rope

Tabata - Lateral Sumo Squat Jumps, Triple Donkey Kick Athletic Stance

Core - Rotational Reverse Crunch w/ Leg Extension, Reverse Plank Hold

Conditioning - 4 Rounds: 30s Squats, 30s Jump Rope, CTA Tuck Jumps (not sure what this means)

Ignite

Conditioning - 2 Rounds: 8X (4 Each) Forward -Backward Lunge R/L, 10X Floor Ys, 12X (6 Each) Plank Arm/Leg Double Side Stepping, Triple Hurdle Drill

Tabata - Lateral Jumping Mt Climber Knee Up Hop, Hand Plank Clock Walk Tuck Jump

Core - Hollow Body Scissor Kicks, Side Elbow Plank Jacks

Conditioning - 4 Rounds: 30s Push-Ups, 30s Triple Hurdle Drill, CTA 3 Vertical Jump 180

Fire

Conditioning - 8X Each 1-Leg RDL Knee Up Hop, 10X Each Reverse Plank Alternating Leg Raise, 12X Plank Alt Arm Reach & Opposite Knee to Elbow, 45 Degree Bound

Tabata - Alternating Squat Tuck Jump 90, Grasshopper Sumo Plank

Core - Hollow Body Alternating Tuck-Ups, Military Sit-Ups

Conditioning - 4 Rounds: 30s Sumo Squat, 30s 45 Degree Bound, CTA 3 Jacks

Burn

Conditioning - 2 Rounds: 8X Each Quadruped Opposite Arm/Leg Tuck Up, 10X Travel In-Out Sumo Squat Jump, 12X (6 Each) Plank Knee to Elbow Triple Sprint, 2 Shuffle Touch

Tabata - Starburst, Tick Tock Flying Sumo

Core - Elbow Plank 4-Point Reach, Tuck Crunch Straddle Crunch

Conditioning - 4 Rounds: 30s Squat, 30s Jump Rope, CTA 3 Tuck Jumps

Burst

Conditioning - 2 Rounds: 8X Each 180 Rotational Lunge R/L, 10X Broad Jump Vertical Shuffle Back, 12X Power Push-Up, Lateral Bound

Tabata - Sumo Squat Jump 180, Flying Sumo Plank

Core - Plank Opposite Arm/Leg Raise, Butterfly Sit-Ups

Conditioning - 4 Rounds: 30s Alternating Reverse Lunges, 30s Lateral Bound, CTA Hit the Deck

Old 02-08-15, 04:10 PM  
catcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchgirl View Post
Answering some questions.

The sections seem to be chaptered so you can just hit next on your remote and be at the next section.

I have Insanity Max 30 as well. Since I haven't done a Tabata workout yet my thoughts are based on my best guess. The warm up is a true warm up and not just a few minutes of slightly less intense exercise. The conditioning segment would be less intense than Max 30 as there are a combination of plyometric moves with strength moves. That being said, this section doesn't look easy as it's 4 rounds and there is no rest between exercises or rounds. PJ says you need to have your heart rate around 70-75% before starting the Tabata section. The tabata sections are brutal and everyone looks completely fried at the end of it. And they are pushing it!!!! The core section will seem easier by comparison. However, I imagine when you are completely gassed that this will still seem like a massive challenge. In the workouts I've previewed the backgrounders start slowing in the core section in rounds 3 & 4. At the very end before heading into the cool down/stretch they all look spent.
This is VERY helpful, thank you so much!!!

Also thank you for all the reviews!!! I have bought so many systems lately I really need to pick and choose a little more wisely from now on, this is why all the questions!
Old 02-08-15, 04:36 PM  
gladgirl

Thank you for the breakdowns.
Can you give me an idea of how much space is needed?
Also, what equipment, if any is necessary?
Thanks, again, and hope you feel better by now!
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minute systems, body weight workouts, bodyweight workouts, hiit training, hiit workouts, interval workouts, pj stahl, tabata, tabata transformation