Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-21-14, 06:51 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I'm shocked at the prices! Where I live there are plenty of gyms that are only $10/month. I haven't belonged to one in years though because I feel like I'm doing fine at home with my videos and even at only $10/month, I'd be wasting my money because I'd never go. I'd rather spend on getting more videos!
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-14, 02:37 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I belong to an L.A. Fitness and mostly go for spin classes. It's a good option when DH is working and I have both kids--I can put them in the childcare and get an uninterrupted workout. I pay $25/month for the membership and $10 month/child for childcare. I generally freeze my membership through the cooler months since that's when it's OK to be outside here, and they charge me $10 a month for that. At those prices, I feel it's worth it, but not for some of the prices I'm reading! It's not a super-fancy gym, it does offer classes, racquetball courts, basketball, swimming pool, etc. and it's nearby.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-14, 02:58 PM  
Irisg1

I let mine go a few years ago, and signed up to The Gymbox for classes. I truly do not miss the gym at all.
Old 11-21-14, 06:44 PM  
LoveVA

I cancelled my gym membership last year after being a member at this particular gym for almost 10 years. At least six months went by with neither I or my husband going to the gym, yet we couldn't give it up. I kept thinking that I was going to go to a spinning class just one more time, but I never went.

I finally cancelled it and I was annoyed at how much money was wasted in those months when we didn't go. At first, I was convinced that I would miss going to my regular classes (even though I hadn't gone in months anyway). Now I can't imagine joining a gym again as I'm having so much fun with home DVDs. My husband also enjoys working out at home to DVDs, too.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-14, 09:51 PM  
hotncmom

It seems that a lot of women around here join the Y for the childcare, to work out in peace and have your kids in a safe play space for a couple of hours. Our Y was expensive. I think my membership with dependents was $72/year when I left. When my kids both got in school I downgraded to an individual membership but it was still almost $60/month and I kept it for a long time and never went. I always wanted to go there and use the sauna and whirlpool, but it was too much trouble and I never did. The classes there were never really up to date either. I was really into barre and vinyasa yoga and they had neither at the time I left.

It's been about 2 years (at least) and I am so happy for all the money I saved. And time, too. Going to the Y took at least 2 hours with prep and drive time.

I get an awesome workout right in my own home workout studio and walking in my neighborhood or local parks. I get to do the trendiest workouts led by the best and most popular instructors in the fitness industry. Who needs a gym?
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-14, 10:11 PM  
CatInTheHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I'm shocked at the prices! Where I live there are plenty of gyms that are only $10/month. I haven't belonged to one in years though because I feel like I'm doing fine at home with my videos and even at only $10/month, I'd be wasting my money because I'd never go. I'd rather spend on getting more videos!
I hate to say this, but a year after I quit my last gym, they closed down and reopened with a new owner and the prices went up from there. Now it's in the low $100's a month. Of course this is DC and there are no other cheaper options that I've found except a few that make up for the price with heavy crowds.

I think gyms are good for people who thrive on the other people and/or the actual part of "going to the gym." I used to be like that for many years - thinking I would never work out at home. Then babies came and I found you guys here and squeezing in a workout (or doing an hour+ workout) at home was a treat!!! I can't imagine going back. Especially because I read the reddit fitness forum and wow, the stuff those women endure at their gyms. No thanks!!!
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-14, 12:57 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
If you only go to the gym to use the cardio machines you could always join a chain gym like Retro Fitness or Planet Fitness. I go to a Retro Fitness for $20/month. I use their free weights but they have a lot of treadmills and elliptical machines in addition to the weight machines.
Great idea except where I live, my gym is the only game in town. There are more gyms about 20 minutes away but if I'm not driving 2 minutes, I certainly would not drive 20, probably ever. Ha. It would be a good thing to do if you lived in a bigger city, though.
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-14, 12:59 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesharee View Post
Ncl, I was in the exact same position as you. I just cancelled my membership last week. If I feel like going to the gym, I will get a day pass. I understand what you're feeling... But once you make the decision, it's a relief knowing you are not wasting the $$$$.

All the best, Dee
Yes, to this. I did cancel. I actually have to give 30 days notice so I can go until the end of the year on my current membership. I think you are right...I already feel better knowing I am not spending the money.
Old 11-24-14, 03:32 PM  
deesharee

Ncl, good for you! I also had the 30 day notice, and my membership ends in the middle of December!

I already have a winter plan in place - with all the DVDs I have, there's no excuse for me not to workout!

I still feel great about my decision to cancel!

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving, Dee
Old 11-24-14, 10:39 PM  
ncl

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesharee View Post
Ncl, good for you! I also had the 30 day notice, and my membership ends in the middle of December!

I already have a winter plan in place - with all the DVDs I have, there's no excuse for me not to workout!

I still feel great about my decision to cancel!

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving, Dee
Yes and with 50 extra dollars per month, I can afford some new DVDs!

Tags
gym membership