Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-14, 02:15 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Was there a way to brick it? That is the one good thing about being tied into a amazon or apple, if someone steals your device, they can pretty much make it unusable.
that is the one big drawback about non-apple devices. why hasn't samsung, microsoft, etc. added this feature? has anyone heard if they plan to do this?

the surface that we had had a very complex sign on. you'd think that they could add an anti-theft feature.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 05:47 AM  
pcdoctor01

http://www.newegg.com/Tablets/Category/ID-164?Tid=13680
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 09:59 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

My hubby has a Lenovo tablet that he just loves - and he's usually a jinx on technology. But he hasn't had any trouble with this one at all, and it does everything he wants it to.

It was less than $300, I'm pretty sure it has a slot for an SD card, and it's Android based, so you have access to all those apps.

My laptop is Windows 8, and the apps for that just suck. I'd really avoid that format if you like apps.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 11:32 AM  
Fit Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
My tablet, this one, is Android. I have a PC with Windows 8 and really hate it, but I like the Android interface a lot.
I'm thinking about the Dell,, it's a good price point for me.
It says it doesn't have Adobe Flash..I'm not sure what that means in terms of limitations.

So, can you stream youtube from the Dell? Do you use it for any other fitness streaming sites?

Have you used a cable to attach it to the tv?

Thanks!

Bzar...sorry about your surface.
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 11:58 AM  
Fit Gal

Sue B..I tried to pm you but your mailbox is full..I just sent you an email.
Old 11-07-14, 03:40 PM  
starbelly

I have a first generation Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 which I use daily to play videos. I don't hook it to the television; I just move it around to where I need it (very helpful for floor work). I have a 64GB micro SD card and I have compressed my DVDs so that I can have quite a bit of my collection on there. The resolution is good and the sound quality is excellent.

It is also good for streaming video. I'm excited that Gaiam TV (formerly My Yoga Online) added a player that allows downloading onto the machine for offline viewing. Even though it is a couple of years old, it works great and I am very happy with the purchase. I have an 8" Tab3 for work and travel which has also been easy to use (although the screen is rather small for web browsing).
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 05:46 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
I'm thinking about the Dell,, it's a good price point for me.
It says it doesn't have Adobe Flash..I'm not sure what that means in terms of limitations.

So, can you stream youtube from the Dell? Do you use it for any other fitness streaming sites?

Have you used a cable to attach it to the tv?

Thanks!

Bzar...sorry about your surface.
thank you for your kind comment.

adobe flash allows you to view streaming videos, and you can install it for free directly from adobe if your device doesn't come with it.

we recently purchased our first Dell laptop (runs on windows 8.1), and i've never been asked to update the flash player on this model. whereas we have 2 older HP laptops (runs on W7 and Vista) which constantly prompts us for adobe flash updates.

i'm not sure whether our Dell laptop automatically gets updated in the background or what (not only am i a vidiot, but a regular idiot when it comes to techy stuff...).

if you go to a site where you might need adobe flash player, it'll tell you "download it for free by clicking here..."

thanks for everyone replying to this thread because i am going to have to purchase another tablet, and everyone's input has been helpful! like i said, i want to use it for storing my music lead sheets (for performance purposes....then i won't have to lug my 3-ring binder around). i've learned that i'd need something that can read pdf's and has an app that i can make a song set list, and that can also handle an app that can turn pages without my hand swiping it.

i'm also going to convert my HP touchpad to android. that's a whole other project. :-/

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 11:37 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
Sue B..I tried to pm you but your mailbox is full..I just sent you an email.
Sorry, I know I need to clean that out!

The youtube app works great, although there are some videos that are blocked by the Android app for some reason. I haven't tried hooking it up to the TV with a cable. For wireless dongles, there's one from Dell called Dell Cast, or use a Chromecast.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 11:56 PM  
Fit Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Sorry, I know I need to clean that out!

The youtube app works great, although there are some videos that are blocked by the Android app for some reason. I haven't tried hooking it up to the TV with a cable. For wireless dongles, there's one from Dell called Dell Cast, or use a Chromecast.
Thanks. I am really thinking about buying it.
Old 11-08-14, 07:58 AM  
Fit Gal

Sue B How is the touch keyboard to send emails or post on VF? Thanks

Tags
android, kindle, samsung, tablet