Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-14, 01:50 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Keli Robert's BOSU HIIT Extreme - first impressions

I haven't seen any reviews of Bosu HIIT Extreme, so I'd thought I'd post my initial impressions. I have not completed the whole workout yet.

I picked this one up in the Collage close-out sale, and since it is a long-weekend here in Canada, I thought I'd give it a try today. I had already done a step workout beforehand, so I only did the first section as an add-on.

This DVD is targeted to fitness professionals, as stated on the package, but it seems to flow well as an at-home workout. Keli makes multiple references to clients and classes, but it did not distract from the exercises. The set is a bright, open workout studio and there are no background exercisers. I did not really notice the music one way or the other.

Right off the bat, I was very intimidated by the preview clips at the start of the DVD, which all seemed advanced and high-intensity. As it turned out, the moves are all pretty advanced and intense, but Keli offers lots of variations and encourages modifications or even skipping some moves that are unsuitable for you, so at no point did I feel pressured to keep up. I would not recommend this as a first Bosu workout, though, as you will certainly need previous experience standing and balancing on the Bosu.

The "warm-up" is about 6 minutes long. I use warm-up in quotes, since among the moves included are lunges off the side of the Bosu, and burpee jumps on top of the Bosu. My heart rate was up higher here than it was at any point of the step workout. Normally, I detest burpees and will avoid them at all costs, but for some reason they did not seem as awkward on the Bosu and were almost tolerable for me.

The body of the workout is split into three sections - rolling intervals, surge intervals, and short burst intervals. Unfortunately, these sections are not chaptered, which is probably my only major complaint with this DVD. I only did the rolling interval section today, which runs about 15 minutes and consists of 4 intervals. This section reminded a lot of Gin Miller's Intense Moves, in that there was a hard, harder and hardest version of each move, and each was performed for a exactly one-minute. Similar to Intense Moves, I felt comfortable doing whichever version suits me, and was not made to feel inadequate for not keeping up with the instructor. There were a couple of interesting moves, such as jumping from a push-up position to standing with the Bosu held either in front of the body or overhead. Overall, I would describe this section as tough, short and fun.

I previewed the surge interval section, and at first glance, I think this section might land me at the doctor's or physiotherapist's office. The first move has you jumping from the top of the Bosu, straddling over a stability ball, onto the floor. Maybe I'll work up the nerve to tackle this section at a later date. The short burst interval section looked fun, and these intervals seemed to be 20-seconds of interval and 10-seconds rest.

My final thoughts are on the instructor. I really like Keli as an instructor and can't say enough good things about her. One of my very first workouts was her Abs & More, and I've enjoyed pretty much everything I have of hers since. She is encouraging, pleasant and always thoroughly professional. One quote of hers that I love from this video is along the lines of "Fitness begins where your comfort zone ends". Plus I just love the Australian accent.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bosu, hiit, keli roberts