Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-14, 02:02 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

40 minutes or less, GO!!

What are your favorite 40 minute or less workouts? Cardio, strength, circuit. . . whatever! Inspire me. I am at a bit of a loss right now. I just bought the P57 four pack about a month ago at Amazon. I really like the workouts, but find myself only doing them once a week because, well, the 57 minute thing. I've always BEEN an hour-long exerciser, but I am in nursing school and just started clinicals. I am in class or lab for 4 hours a day and I am studying, I kid you not, about 8 hours per day. Add in a little husband maintenance, a little teenage daughters maintenance, a little laundry and some dirty dishes and the need to get a meal on the table most nights, and suddenly 60 minute workouts are not happening.

ANY TIPS AT ALL are appreciated! I have been a stay at home mom for 20 years, I've been busy homeschooling my kids and running them all over creation, so I've been BUSY; but it has been FLEXIBLE busyness, and I could take an hour six days a week to work out.

Now my time is very inflexible and what time I have is at a premium and I tell ya what, EVERYONE says that you get fat in nursing school. I mean, it's like a MANTRA, and I can understand why because even besides working out, your lifestyle changes so much. I have never SAT so much in my life!! IN the last 8 weeks I have read, I kid you not, FIFTY-TWO CHAPTERS of nursing textbooks. Hours and hours and hours a day sitting. My daughter, bless her, heard me bemoaning how long I'd been SITTING one day (my butt was numb, I tell ya!) and she brought me a stsurdy music stand, so I could STAND and read, which was amazing and I LOVE it. I also study on the treadmill whenever I can (I cannot actually read on the treadmill but if I'm doing something like memorizing off notecards that lends itself very well to treadmill walking.)

I've been getting in about 1 full-length P57 workout a week, one 40-min treadmill run a week, and mostly just study-walks besides that. I can FEEL my running endurance shrinking and it was so hard-won that I really hate to let that happen. But stress levels are REALLY high (as is my general exhaustion level). . . I'm wondering if walking would be better than running right now since I don't run well when I'm stressed out, or if I will really regret losing that conditioning? Hmmmmm.

Thanks for any fresh ideas!!!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:13 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm loving DDP Yoga. All the workouts in the basic pack are less than 50 minutes...in fact most are 30 minutes or less.

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:31 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Strength: I like the up-only or down-only premixes from Cathe's Pyramid Upper and Lower Body for short but effective strength.

Cardio: I jump on the treadmill if I have a limited amount of time and don't want to haul out equipment. All of the Cardio Coach workouts can be tailored to 40 minutes: I think volumes 1-3 are approximately that long, and you can skip one of the three challenges in the longer workouts, volumes 4-8, to hit that time limit. One of my favorite short CC workouts that clocks 35-40 minutes: warm up to a song or two on my iPod, do Sean's quick warmup and Challenge 1 from Volume 6, then skip to his cooldown and stretch.

I'm also a recent convert to Cathe's STS Shock Cardio DVD Hiit. Three short TOUGH 30-minute workouts; two of them need a Step.
Old 03-04-14, 02:39 PM  
sherry7899

Any one of Kelly Coffey Meyer's "30 minutes to fitness" dvds would work well for you. They usually have tons of premixes also.

Good luck with your studies! My SIL finished nursing school about 18 months ago, and has been working at a city hospital for a little over a year. Now her issue is the total opposite of yours-she never gets to sit down!

Take care,
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:40 PM  
marmact

JNL Fusion
Jillian Michaels Body Revolution
P90X3
T25

These are all workouts that are advertised as 30 minutes or less--most of them push to 40 with an appropriate warmup, but the workouts themselves get really good reviews.

A cheaper option is KCM. I don't love her strength work (I think she does crazy things just to be original) but her cardio is usually really fun and enjoyable.

Good luck with school!
Old 03-04-14, 02:45 PM  
PhyllisG

Right now I am liking BB 21 Day Fix.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:46 PM  
Kitten

I prefer my workouts 45 minutes or less myself, so here goes:
The YBB lives all run 30-40 minutes and you get a bit of everything.
YBB basic 45 minutes (closer to 40 if you leave off the opening and closing invocations)
Leslie Sansone's 2 mile walks
The Crunch yogas with Sara Ivanhoe
Slim in 6 Keep it up is 40 minutes but there is no abs and real short stretch, but I liked it any how
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 02:48 PM  
cpcathy

I just want to say I am now in love with the term "husband maintenance."

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 03:13 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Good luck with your studies! My SIL finished nursing school about 18 months ago, and has been working at a city hospital for a little over a year. Now her issue is the total opposite of yours-she never gets to sit down!

Take care,
Sherry
HAHA, Sherry, I SO TOTALLY KNOW!! I know I will be exhausted then but I am almost looking forward to it at this point! lol.

Talk about one extreme to the other.
Old 03-04-14, 03:14 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcathy View Post
I just want to say I am now in love with the term "husband maintenance."
hehe.

Tags
40 minute workouts, deltafit speedshred, keli roberts, short cathe workouts, short workouts