Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-14, 03:00 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

If it's the feeling of a high HR/out of breath that you hate, how do you do strength either? Because it's really rare to be able to do strength without those two things occurring.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 03:07 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I don't have sound at work. Is it easy to summarize what they said? I would have thought it was the opposite. Long distance runners usually have more slow twitch muscle fibers while sprinters have more fast twitch. So I thought HiiT would appeal to fast twitch people more.
Quote:
Maybe to love to run, maybe you hate to run. I used to run, even tho I hated it. I thought it would help me lose weight. Until I learned that every one's body is made up with a different percentage of either slow twitch muscle fibers (that runners have) or fast twitch muscle fibers (that lifters have). Watch this video to find out how you can change the ratio & improve your results.
Ooops, you're right! I got them mixed up.

It's been awhile since I watched it. I think she mentions cross training as a way to increase your endurance for running if you are fast twitch.
Old 01-27-14, 03:09 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I like HIIT. That way I only have to workout intensely for 30 seconds then I get to rest! It also has a lot of variety. Bonus is that it burns more calories.

I watched a video on RealFitTv addressing this. Some people love to run, but they have fast twitch muscle fibers. Those who like HIIT or weights have slow twitch muscle fibers. So, there's a reason for it!

Here's the video explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juOqZ...-s8alYKKQaQrrA
Ohhh that makes total sense! I'm a slow-twitch gal for sure!
Old 01-27-14, 03:10 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
Ohhh that makes total sense! I'm a slow-twitch gal for sure!
If you don't like to run, you're fast twitch - I got them turned around, lol.
Old 01-27-14, 03:12 PM  
Erica H.

I only like running for cardio. If I can't run because of the weather/road conditions, I'll use my spin bike or do step or kickboxing, but I hate those things and it's hard for me to get motivated to do them. I'll run in almost any conditions to avoid doing other forms of cardio. People think I'm really dedicated, but it's not that...I just hate everything else.

I will usually force myself to do it and tell myself it's only for x amount of minutes and to "just do it."

I broke my foot in September and couldn't run for three months. It was really hard for me mentally and I had to keep it all in perspective to keep myself from getting grumpy.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 06:22 PM  
mmmchelle

I second the recommendation of kettlebell swings.

Also, Robert dos Remedios book Cardio Strength Training helped me tremendously with cardio, because I really don't like it. He outlines three protocols for doing strength and cardio simultaneously. One is simply HIIT with multi-muscle strength exercises like squats and pushups for the intervals. Loved those, and I, too, am generally a cardio hater. Also, they would be easy to modify around an injury.
Old 01-27-14, 08:18 PM  
juliel
VF Supporter

i tend to go for more "metabolic" workouts. I really like Mike Donavanik's workouts. i really like the next to newest KCM (boxing and weights)
HiiT too for me. The newer 10 minute solution is a good one. Drop 2 sizes has good shorter metabolic workouts.

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway
juliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 09:13 PM  
loverly7

Have you thought about the things you enjoyed doing as a kid? I know that if I don't have a fun factor, I won't do a workout. Period. But I love walking, hiking, swimming, dancing, Turbo Jam, etc. Aside from Turbo Jam (which wasn't around when I was a kid) all the other things were some of what I loved doing as a kid. If all I could do for cardio is hop on a machine and go endlessly and mindlessly nowhere every day I would never never never never do cardio!

If you don't like being out of breath, you could walk if you are not injured in a way that would stop that. For me, I don't have much issue with cardio because I only do what cardio I enjoy and I enjoy stretching workouts, but strength training...yuck! The only strength I like at all is Les Mills Pump and I love it!!!! The music is so upbeat and it has a fun factor for me that strength workouts never have. I wish you the best of luck in finding cardio you enjoy.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 09:49 PM  
msladybug

For me, strength training works. Lots of different ways to strength train and if you do it right...the heart rate gets up and you care breathing hard.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 11:40 PM  
lorajc

Its weird cuz i used to love cardio when i was younger. Now, I'm 54 and post menopausal and gained quite a bit of weight and ever since I put all this weight on, cardio and yoga are really difficult for me. I used to be good at both. Part of its that I guess, part of its that I have so many hot flashes that I don't even want to sweat anymore.....but that can't really be it....cuz I love lifting weights. I sort of don't mind cardio as much if its mixed in with weights like a circuit---still haate it but its more bearable if i know I have a weight lifting segment coming up. Also---i guess if i had to choose cardio that I hate the least, I would say dnce cardio and Kickboxing are the ones I like the most..

Oh...and I could never sit on a machine and do cardio, that's the worst.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio, fast twitch, slow twitch