Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-13, 06:31 PM  
gigi

Thumbs up Flex Train

I've done this twice now and I really like it. Here is the review I posted on collagevideo.com:

I've done this twice now and I really like it. The back and triceps are over worked compared to other body parts and it isn't heavy on lower body work but it is a good workout. What I like about this workout is while many times you are doing compound weight work you know what body part is the focus of the work. The sections are as follows: Warm Up, Legs & Shoulders, Back, Legs & Biceps, Chest with Discs, Disc Lunges, Triceps, Legs/Firewalkers, Core/Abs, and Stretch. The chaptering is lousy compared to what Cathe has done in the past. For example, you can only forward from section to section, not exercise to exercise. You could easily do a section or two as a finisher to a cardio workout. This is a workout you can probably work up to a bit heavier weight than Cathe uses as you grow with the workout. She recommends going heavier when it gets too easy. This is a very solid workout. The core workout is similar to the core work in Lean Legs & Abs. This is a nice total body workout that gets it done in under an hour. The music was fun and made me smile. Again, the lyric changes in this series just make me laugh so be forewarned if you are bothered by silly lyric changes in songs you may know.
Old 10-19-13, 10:01 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Thanks for posting this, Gigi. I agree with what you wrote. Flex Train is a keeper for me, though I may try to go heavier with it next time. The music made me smile, too!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 05:22 AM  
juberann

Happy to read the good review especially from gigi. I just ordered this one, along with Great Glutes, from Mary yesterday.
gigi.......have you done Great Glutes? thoughts?
Old 10-20-13, 08:09 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
Happy to read the good review especially from gigi. I just ordered this one, along with Great Glutes, from Mary yesterday.
I've only done the pizza press and stretch section. I'm not super excited about Lean Legs & Abs or Great Glutes as her new way of training the lower body is not my thing. I do plan to give them a try though and maybe it will be my thing after all...LOL!
Old 10-20-13, 12:20 PM  
isebelleg44

I did this one again today and liked it much better than the first time I did it. This is nice solid no dread workout. You get a decent workout and don't feel like you wasted your time.

I do think she overworked the shoulders and triceps and went light on the chest and lower body. I understand why she skimped on the lower body work, but not the chest work. I love the firewalker section in this one and the music was perfect for it. At one point, Cathe said she felt like she was dancing and I have to agree with her. I used my blue firewalker band and got a nice burn.

Overall a great workout!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 02:14 PM  
juberann

Thanks, Angela! I liked what I seen on the clips with both of these and love all kinds of variety in lower body work so I chose these two as my first buys, I will pass on the Step workouts and X10 scares me which makes me sad because that is the one I was looking forward to the most from this new batch
Old 10-20-13, 11:04 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by juberann View Post
Judy I liked Great Glutes. Like Angela I am not a fan of Xtrain Legs, I prefer more challenging lower body workouts like Butts & Guts, Trisets Lower Body, or Cardio Leg Blast. Great Glutes is nowhere near as tough as these but definitely had some challenging moments. I did it after a couple X10 segments and it was just the right intensity for after cardio.

I think you will like it.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 01:55 AM  
juberann

Thanks, edensmom I like a little less intensity in lower body workouts so I think this one will be perfect
Old 10-21-13, 10:15 AM  
AnMrsDe

Thank you, Angela for mentioning your thoughts on Flex Train. I wasn't too thrilled about it the first time around, but I thought I'd try it again today.

I was happy I found I liked it A LOT more this time around! I think once I realized this is more of an UB workout and not necessarily a metabolic w/o that burns tons of calories, it became a workout I actually enjoyed! And one I think will be good for an upper body day when I don't feel like doing a lot of cardio with it. I also chose the "instrumentals" music option which made a world of difference w/ the lyric issue for me. <The Bee Gees song stands out - shudder!> Also, I switched up some moves for my shoulders (cause it IS waaay shoulder-heavy!) and added some leg lift balance work during the static shoulder segment (like Cathe does during biceps) to make it more challenging for me. I used the blue firewalker band (doing the LL&A firewalker segment moves instead! ), thus creating more of a fun factor for me. I LOVE the fact that she works the triceps hard and I can heavy up since one of my beefs is that the triceps don't get worked enough in workouts--ever!

I didn't try the core segment yet - I subbed with other core work since it seems all Cathe wants to do anymore are crunches and weighted ab work. Maybe this one is different?

Like isebelleg44, I'm glad I took a 2nd look at FT and by making subtle changes, I enjoyed it a lot! So, for some of you not loving it at first try, maybe you just need to give it another shot!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 10:59 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

LOVE FlexTrain. I see it as high reps low weight workout, not so metabolic. Although Cathe threw in some cardio moves (making it a bit metabolic), there are plenty functional, core, compound, combined and isolation moves. I hate high reps workout, and this makes time flies! A lot get done in this workout...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flex train, flextrain