Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-13, 09:51 AM  
bubbles76

Travel Rotation - What Do You Think?

Hi all! I will be traveling again for two months in January for work, and I'm trying to think of a rotation to use while I'm away from my weights. The first few times I left for training I took everything -- step, weights, yoga mat, blocks, med balls, tubing, you name it! But it was a pain packing and unpacking it. I thought I'd downsize a bit and just bring my step, tubing, and yoga mat (with blocks). I'm thinking of a rotation that I could use with just these items. Online workouts are not an option, as the hotels don't always have the best, continuous connection.

I was thinking maybe use the Weider X Factor workouts 3 days a week for toning and then maybe some metabolic, HIIT, kickboxing, and step workouts during the week? Oh, and yoga in the evening. Do you think that would cover it? Do you think I may be overdoing it? My goals are to increase endurance and tone up the lower body. I think I've got the cardio down, it's just the toning without weights that is eluding me. Oh, and I guess keeping weight under control, as I will be living out of a hotel for two months I'd love to hear anyone's ideas on a travel rotation.

Thanks!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 11:36 AM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I don't know the workout program you mentioned, but I'm impressed you brought so much of your equipment on your trip. I would suggest bringing some audio workouts (like Cardio Coach or the Itrain workouts that incorporate different cardio machines - the I-Tri ones, I tink) because you may feel like taking advantage of the hotels' gyms, which are often pretty empty. There are a bunch of stretching routines on Itunes (e.g. Sage Rountree) or Itrain (e.g. 20min Athletic stretch) that work great after an audio gym workout. If you do use the gym, I would also maybe suggest pinning some good short toning or yoga-stretch routines on Pinterest (if you have it) and tacking those on after your workout (by taking your phone to the gym).

In general, I think alternating toning and cardio is a good plan, and one that many VFers seem to follow with success. Since you're bringing so much equipment with you, the real difference between your travel schedule and your home workout schedule will be 1) how much time you'll have (your real-life schedule into which you'll be fitting your workout schedule), and 2) the extent to which you have enough band and tubing workouts that are effective and balanced enough to provide you with sufficient strength training work on the days you do toning.
Old 09-28-13, 01:01 PM  
bubbles76

Yes, it was quite funny! I used one of those rolling carts and loaded it up with all my workout gear. I don't want to have to do that again honestly. I had five pairs of weights for that trip, and now that I actually have eight sets, I think that would just be too daunting.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do plan on taking some cardio coaches and have loaded up my iPod with various cardio workouts. It's mostly the strength training that is going to be tricky. Really, it's just lower body that is going to be tricky, as I think I can get a lot of upper body done with Horizontal Conditioning and a few other workouts.

ETA: I forgot, I have Strong Strides! In fact, I just finished doing it this week. I will bring that, and I guess along with my step workouts I should be in pretty good shape for the lower body.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 09-28-13, 06:38 PM  
marmact

I would focus on body weight workouts or paper workouts done in the hotel gym. I might also do something with swimming if there is an indoor pool. You can really do some great cross training in this situation.

I used to travel a lot for work and rarely brought anything other than bands with me.
Old 09-28-13, 07:18 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I'm impressed with all the stuff you brought!!! Did you fly with all those? To tell you the truth, I would just make do with what the hotel gym provide for you. Usually they have cardio machines and weights. You can buy a portable DVD player or make audio files from your DVD (if you are conscious about using the DVD player in front of others).
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 07:45 PM  
gmac

I usually just bring a jump rope and heavy resistant band then make do with the hotel gym and if possible running stairs.
Old 09-28-13, 08:23 PM  
bubbles76

Marie, alas, I cannot swim . I will be taking advantage of the hot tub at the hotel though!

Hdw, no I didn't fly. I drove four hours, so it wasn't that bad of a trip with all that stuff. I drive a Dodge Ram 2500, so I have the room for all that stuff, I just don't want to take it. I am convinced though that even if I had to fly I would have found a way to ship my step. I don't go out of town for more than a week without it. My mom even has a spare for me at her house. How do you make audio files from a dvd? I didn't think to do that.

Glenn, I have a jumprope around here somewhere, but retired it when the impact became too much. However, since I've been more cautious and my hip has done a bit better with impact lately, I may have to dig it out again.
Old 09-28-13, 08:31 PM  
horusosiris

Bubbles, I would also suggest

1. Cathe-Travel Fit
2. KCM- Body Training
3. TA- Precision Toning
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 03:29 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have used mp3mymp3 (free download). What it does is record whatever is playing on your sound card. So you have to play the DVD and not let the computer goes to sleep (blank or quiet). If you are multi-tasking and some other background is making noise/music/etc, it will capture that too. If you have a 60 min workout, then you'll be monitoring (not closely though) for 60mins. I have not used this software for awhile...

Another option is Freemake. It's free and recommended by a VFer. When you download Freemake, make sure to uncheck some of extraneous software (Norton for example). Insert your DVD, and pick convert to mp3.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-13, 04:38 PM  
bubbles76

Thanks hdw! Would this work on a Mac?

Tags
travel rotation, travel workouts