Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-13, 07:54 AM  
PhyllisG

I don't know what Tosca's plans are and I never read any of her publications but I have had subscriptions to other magazines that went out of business and I was given a choice of other magazines to switch my subscription to. They would send a letter with a list of choices and I would choose and the subscription would continue with a new publication sent. The choices were the same type of magazine. Maybe she will do that also.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:20 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I don't know what Tosca's plans are and I never read any of her publications but I have had subscriptions to other magazines that went out of business and I was given a choice of other magazines to switch my subscription to. They would send a letter with a list of choices and I would choose and the subscription would continue with a new publication sent. The choices were the same type of magazine. Maybe she will do that also.
I lack faith that this type of scenario will happen. I think that's more likely with a larger publisher like Conde Nast that has many titles, and just one is being shut down. I think we're all out of luck, though the fact that Joni O just rec'd an issue gives me hope that we might at least get one more!

Joni, was it June or July?? If it was July, I'll be really happy.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 08:57 AM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I'm not really that surprised. Oxygen has been going downhill for a long time now, becoming the Tosca Reno show along with fat burner adds made up to look like articles.
That's why we stopped getting it as well. That and I have a teenage daughter and I don't want her seeing the fitness models in the magazines and thinking that's something to strive for. Healthy and fit is a great goal, but the models don't look that way year around, most of them only look that way the week up till their photoshoot and they get there through unsustainable paths. I don't want her modeling herself after an unsustainable look.

Whoops, I went off on a tangent

I've been done with Oxygen for awhile now. I got tired of every 3rd page being a picture of Tosca and her on multiple couples a year. I get that she's an inspiration to older ladies trying to get in shape, but she's not the older fitness model out there. Give some of the others a chance as well. Plus, you can only hear/read the phrase "clean eating" so many times before it makes you want to eat a brownie

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 09:08 AM  
mle777

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraipel View Post
I started reading Oxygen in 1998 when it featured more info on fitness competitions, back when Monica Brant and then Susie Curry, Kelly Ryan (whose road took a different turn, but she was the one to beat for a while) and others dominated that scene.
I still have the edition with Monica Brandt on the cover My collection runs from 1998 through about 2005 (when the magazine started to go downhill).

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 09:52 AM  
violingal3

I tossed my subscription renewal letter the other week before I heard this news. I didn't give it a second thought because I haven't been looking forward to new issues coming in the mail for a long time now! Tosca, clean eating, supplement ads - rinse and repeat...
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:20 AM  
LaurieS

July was my last issue

In the July issue, it said look for new things to come, ha ha. I wondered what happened to Stacy!

My subscription was over in August and it is a miracle I hadn't re-subscribed yet! It was one of my favorites. I am going to the store this weekend and pick up a Clean Eating mag if I can find it, for old times sake
LaurieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:39 AM  
margaux

Grrrrr......I already renewed through Sept 2014. Received the July issue. Very disappointing.
margaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:59 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I'm sorry that Tosca lost her husband but personally, I couldn't stand her and stopped reading it years ago. She and Kennedy both ruined what was a great magazine. I have old issues in the basement of the good Oxygen and M&F Hers. Both were great mags.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 12:44 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
I still have the edition with Monica Brandt on the cover My collection runs from 1998 through about 2005 (when the magazine started to go downhill).
I'm jealous!! I kept my old copies for quite a while, but between 2001-2005 I moved about 6 times and somewhere along the way all those wonderful issues got lost

I'm happy to see someone else who was an old school Oxygen junkie
Old 06-14-13, 02:20 PM  
roleez
VF Supporter

Boo, I really love Oxygen magazine, it's my favorite fitness mag. Oh well, I hope there wasn't too much left on my subscription cause it certainly doesn't sound like we'll be getting our $'s worth!

Tags
clean eating, clean eating magazine, martha stewart, oxygen, tosca reno