Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-13, 02:07 PM  
momof10

I have been doing TA for over 19 months. I do her workouts just about daily. I love her floor work, but the things she says about bulking, I just ignore. I also do Tonique daily, which is a big no no according to Tracy. I have been doing Tonique for over 3 years and believe me, I have never bulked from Tonique. As for rebounding causing, bulk, well, I balk at that one, too. I have been rebounding just about daily and no bulk here. Plus, I guess it's whatever her idea of bulking is. My legs are quite thin and muscular from doing Tonique, TA and rebounding. I am not a runner, but I love the looks of a runners legs.

Cheryl
Old 03-21-13, 07:28 PM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

As with all TA approved cardio, what she's asking you to do is to literally bounce on your joints, as opposed to absorbing the shock with your muscles. A softer bounce WILL activate more muscle to move you back up again. Whether or not this will actually increase muscle size is a YMMV thing. A cheapo Walmart rebounder will give you that nice, hard, "approved" bounce, but won't be nearly as comfortable.
Old 03-21-13, 07:35 PM  
F1mom

Bounce on your joints? That makes me ache just reading it. Surely such a thing can't be good for you in the long run?
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 10:38 AM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
Bounce on your joints? That makes me ache just reading it. Surely such a thing can't be good for you in the long run?
For the majority of us, no.

I've gotten such great results from her muscular structure work, that I'd love to be able to do her cardio, just to see if it makes a difference. Alas, I don't have bionic joints. I still think Christi Taylor's older hi-lo stuff makes a respectable substitute. I need to master CIA 9801!
Old 03-22-13, 05:10 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I do Tonique and TA, and Sylwia's and TA's take on running is much different, and I think I know why.

Their philosophy is based on their own personal experience.

Sylwia's dominate muscle fibers are slow twitch muscle fibers, which is why she can go on forever, literally! This is why all of her workouts are enduranced based.

Tracy dominate muscle fibers are fast twitch muscle fibers which is geared towards sprinting, and the reason why she bulks with running. This is why TA's workouts are muscular structured based geared towards keeping the rep range high.

All of us are either slow twitch muscle fiber dominate or fast twitch muscle fiber dominate, thus the reason why our bodies react to different types of workouts, and why we prefer one workout over another.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 06:47 PM  
lselbach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I do Tonique and TA, and Sylwia's and TA's take on running is much different, and I think I know why.

Sylwia's dominate muscle fibers are slow twitch muscle fibers, which is why she can go on forever, literally! This is why all of her workouts are enduranced based.

Tracy dominate muscle fibers are fast twitch muscle fibers which is geared towards sprinting, and the reason why she bulks with running. This is why TA's workouts are muscular structured based geared towards keeping the rep range high.

All of us are either slow twitch muscle fiber dominate or fast twitch muscle fiber dominate, thus the reason why our bodies react to different types of workouts, and why we prefer one workout over another.
I agree 100 percent. You always have to combine these "rules" with knowledge of your own body. I actually do get bigger from running, but other workouts (like step) aren't a problem.
Old 03-22-13, 07:47 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
How can you tell what twitch you are? Is there some sort of test?

If I burn fat quickly with slow and steady cardio, but gain with HIIT does that make me a slow twitch?
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-13, 07:55 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:

This sounds right on. I also definitely think that TA and Sylwia base a LOT of their fitness advice, programs, etc. on personal experience (or the experiences of the clients that keep coming back to them -- which are going to be the ones w/ bodies that benefit from their respective methods). I kind of find the experience-based advice refreshing in the fitness industry. I respect science, but the science behind fitness is pretty under-developed compared to other fields (as evidenced by the often 'one size fits all' claims of new research).

I have an Urban Rebounder, and find it's perfect for TA's workouts. I don't do her rebounding videos anymore b/c I know the moves, create my own, and prefer to just freestyle.

I think most of Christi's hi/lo is probably a pretty good substitute for TA's cardio. TA's cardio is mostly just steady state cardio with a variety of movements that doesn't employ muscle endurance (e.g. lounges, plies) as part of what it takes to raise your heart rate.
Old 03-23-13, 10:09 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:

If I burn fat quickly with slow and steady cardio, but gain with HIIT does that make me a slow twitch?
I was wondering how to figure this out also.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 10:52 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:

I would guess you're slow twitch. Long distance runners are slow twitch while sprinters have more fast twitch muscles.

Tags
slow twitch, tracy anderson, trampoline, trampoline workout