Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-13, 01:30 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

We have gyms at work, and I can't remember the last time I used one of 'em seriously (I have done a couple of sets of upper body weights after a yoga class as an add-on, but the last time I spent 30 mins on a cardio machine there was probably seven years ago!) But speaking of classes, I do try to attend fitness classes at work, especially yoga (since I have an 11-month-old at home, which makes for precious little time when I can have 60 mins of uninterrupted peace at home!) and barre (I'm not a huge fan but it's efficient for core & lower body work and I only do the occasional barre-like DVD at home as an add-on). I aim to do this 2x per week, schedule-permitting. But otherwise, it's lots of walking, hiking, biking and home workouts involving dumbbells!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 05:14 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Fitboop,
If you decide to work out in a gym for a day and want a posse you could always make it a VF outing.
Yes! In fact, I do have an idea for a VF fitness outing, but I am going to contact the studio first to see if it can be arranged.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 05:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Abbe, you won't regret it. There are times when I feel a twang, but it diminishes quickly.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 12:43 AM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
So did you give up the Bally's membership, Terri?

I'm obsessed with numbers and time. If you figure that you spend 1 hour, 4 times per week driving to the gym and back and finding parking and getting changed, that's 4 hours per week, times 52 weeks per year = 208 hours per year! 208 hours = 8.67 DAYS! So by staying home and working out, you have gained almost 9 days of time! If that's not a good reason to work out at home, I don't know what is!
ITA about the time. That's why I dropped my gym membership. Also, I don't like gym showers so I end up having to drive home feeling sweaty and smelly and I have to leave the car window down to air out the smell.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 01:07 AM  
jessicavi

I was never interested in joining a gym because I always preferred videos. Plus, I thought the time spent driving could be better used working out. However a few years ago at the height of my kbell fever, I started taking Saturday kbell classes at a church gym. It was not crowded at all, except for some parents coming to kids basketball games. The workout areas and track were upstairs and in other rooms. So it was non-traditional. Actually my class was more like a 1:1 instruction since the other lady that used to come dropped out. It was pretty good but it was a half hour (some highway) from home. But I loved it so much I stuck w/ it even though I detested the commute, especially on cold days. I wanted to quit so many times but my son encouraged to go to the gym in the first place and it made him happy to see me go. Well when he started basketball two years ago which included Saturday a.m. games I saw my out and took it. I have not regretted it at all even though I miss it.

ITA about driving home sweaty. I used to do that too. No showers at the church gym. Even if there were I don't know if I would have used it. I did a trial month at a gym near work one summer and I couldn't wait for it to be over because of having to shower with other people being in the locker room. I used to undress/dress in the shower. Crazy. Uncomfortable. And did I say I just don't like the gym?
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 02:43 AM  
Harantwanders

Just read this thread and that is so funny about the lady singing arias lol.

I renewed my membership at the rec center where my gym is because occasionally I want to use and try to be more social. I don't go all the time, just want the option.

I kind of go for the noise and people. Classes are often going on in the fitness rooms and gym floor when I am walking around the indoor track (above the gym floor) or doing machines or free weights. I love watching and hearing the music.

But I mostly like working out at home or in the park or just outside in the neighborhood or my yard.

It is so close I just drive home to shower.
Old 03-10-13, 07:16 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harantwanders View Post
Just read this thread and that is so funny about the lady singing arias lol.

I renewed my membership at the rec center where my gym is because occasionally I want to use and try to be more social. I don't go all the time, just want the option.
That's exactly why I go. I work in a small office with 'older' people. I still get my workout in, but I feel too isolated from people in their twenties.
Old 03-12-13, 11:31 AM  
Marylandmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiyachi View Post
I just recently went the opposite way. I joined a gym about a year ago when we moved to small apartment while moving to our new location. I couldn't work out at home. I ended up liking the gym better because it had better benches and weights than I had - and other equipment like assisted pull-up machines.

Good classes are a must for me. I got spinning and Les Mills classes and other types - my gym has tons of classes.

But...for weight training I, STS on my Ipod and I lift with that at the gym. Meso3 works really well because the benches are so much better.

I love the gym, have met some great people, but it's expensive. So I think now that I'm moved in, I will let my membership go when the year is up. I will miss it - especially the equipment and the spin classes.

ETA: It is hassle, time, gas money to get there - 12 minutes each way. But it forces me to get up and go. I workout at 5 AM and I go 5 days a week. I'm back home at 7 and get the boys up for school. It's very routine. If I didn't have to get up for class I can tell you I would sleep through many a day.
I'm in the same boat. At the beginning of the year I bought a Groupon for a free month at my local gym. I'm going to sign up for a regular membership afiter it's over (mind you, I haven't been a gym member in over 20 years). I'm lucky that they have lots and lots of good group exercise classes (bodypump, zumba, latin cardio, total body strength training, etc.). My weight work I will do at home. As far as the machines, I've noticed that the people who use them look like zombies. They look either bored to death or can't wait to get off the darn thing. I may eventually make my way over to the weight area, those folks look hardcore. So far, I'm really enjoying the gym. And I tend to push myself harder in a group setting.
Marylandmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 12:55 PM  
Indy

I was never a big gym person - I did go every now and again but I was in it for the classes and that was it. I never really did the weight machines.

I'm an antisocial person as well and I hated the personalities you would sometimes find at the gym. Men with no necks who'd walk around as if they owned the place - their egos as big as their biceps. I just did not like the atmosphere of judgement I sometimes felt. It was probably me making that up in my head - but I was making it up nonetheless.

I like to work at home simply because I'm free to make an absolute fool of myself and nobody will be there to witness it. I can also do that step workout a million times until I get it down. I can work out when it suits me - and there is travel time, no parking problems - at home my gym is always open. I haven't ever regretted not having a membership.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 02:54 PM  
Daphne M

Just because every thread needs a contrarian -- please don't bash the gym too hard! Some of us still love it there. I supplement my DVDs and outdoor runs with gym workouts one or two times per week.

Maybe because I usually go at 5:30 a.m. on a weekday or at odd times on the weekend, I always have a good experience. It's bright and lively, but not crazy crowded. There are plenty of heavy-lifting grunting guys when I'm there, but they are friendly and encouraging. We have incredible equipment, awesome trainers and great classes. I love the variety of challenging toys and equipment that would cost me too much money and take up too much space at my home.

I totally understand not *needing* the gym and if I had to limit myself to just one option at this point in my life, I'd go with home workouts for the convenience. But the gym challenges and motivates me in a whole different way that I don't want to ever have to give up.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, gym membership