Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-13, 02:11 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by paideiamom View Post
... the woman who sings her arias as she is doing the leg press machine...
Now that's just plain weird. You should complain to the management.
Old 02-16-13, 02:51 PM  
paideiamom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Now that's just plain weird. You should complain to the management.
I am really trying not to be me this year. "I" would do that. But I have been told I am turning curmudgeonly so I just go to another machine and stick my ear buds in. Some people tell her they enjoy it so I may be alone in my dislike. And she does it on all the machines, not just the leg press.

"Moderation is remembered only after the deed is done." Mirabelle Watkinson, fabulous writer in residence.

"I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it." Edith Sitwell

Words matter.

I thought I had seen it all. Then I tried on my bathing suit. (Unknown sage at craft show)
paideiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 03:11 PM  
bfit

I gave up going to the Y about 20 years ago now (yes, I'm revealing my advanced age here), and I've never regretted it. Home exercise is so much more convenient because I don't have to go anywhere, and I can do it whenever I want. Plus, I think there's actually more variety and better instruction in my DVD collection than I can get elsewhere. There's nothing more frustrating than showing up for an aerobics class and having it be poorly instructed. At least if that happens at home you can pop the DVD out and do another one. I do go to the city pool 2-3 times a week to swim and do water aerobics, but you don't have to commit to a membership for that.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-13, 04:11 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
I am really trying not to be me this year. "I" would do that. But I have been told I am turning curmudgeonly...
I've never had a problem with being curmudgeonly!

Quote:
Some people tell her they enjoy it so I may be alone in my dislike. And she does it on all the machines, not just the leg press.
See, that sort of thing just shouldn't be encouraged.

There should be a sign up in every gym:
* Please don't drop or throw your weights
* Please wipe down your equipment after use
* No singing arias!
Then everyone would be happy.
Old 02-16-13, 07:14 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

Abbe: I'm like a lifelong Bally's member (actually started as Jack La Lanne....yikes, that WAS a long time ago!). Anyway, yearly renewal was so cheap that I just kept up with it, thinking I might one day return.

A few years ago, my husband and I talked about getting into the gym again....and honestly, I just couldn't see me doing it.

I have all kinds of workouts at home, plus a treadmill and a spin bike. And I've never lacked the self-discipline to get good use out of them.

Besides, I have come to embrace my anti-social ways.

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-13, 01:15 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri1222 View Post
Abbe: I'm like a lifelong Bally's member (actually started as Jack La Lanne....yikes, that WAS a long time ago!). Anyway, yearly renewal was so cheap that I just kept up with it, thinking I might one day return.

A few years ago, my husband and I talked about getting into the gym again....and honestly, I just couldn't see me doing it.

I have all kinds of workouts at home, plus a treadmill and a spin bike. And I've never lacked the self-discipline to get good use out of them.

Besides, I have come to embrace my anti-social ways.

Terri
So did you give up the Bally's membership, Terri?

I'm obsessed with numbers and time. If you figure that you spend 1 hour, 4 times per week driving to the gym and back and finding parking and getting changed, that's 4 hours per week, times 52 weeks per year = 208 hours per year! 208 hours = 8.67 DAYS! So by staying home and working out, you have gained almost 9 days of time! If that's not a good reason to work out at home, I don't know what is!
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 08:34 PM  
buffmama

Fitboop,
If you decide to work out in a gym for a day and want a posse you could always make it a VF outing.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 09:48 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Totally agree w/ bfit and Terri. I bought Living Social coupon for 5 TRX classes. I'm having a hard time going. Feel like I'm wasting my time, not enjoying it. I'm loving doing what I want, when I want, wearing whatever, looking goofy, nerdy and weird in my own space. Yeah, I'm anti-social too...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 04:01 AM  
cmiyachi

I just recently went the opposite way. I joined a gym about a year ago when we moved to small apartment while moving to our new location. I couldn't work out at home. I ended up liking the gym better because it had better benches and weights than I had - and other equipment like assisted pull-up machines.

Good classes are a must for me. I got spinning and Les Mills classes and other types - my gym has tons of classes.

But...for weight training I, STS on my Ipod and I lift with that at the gym. Meso3 works really well because the benches are so much better.

I love the gym, have met some great people, but it's expensive. So I think now that I'm moved in, I will let my membership go when the year is up. I will miss it - especially the equipment and the spin classes.

ETA: It is hassle, time, gas money to get there - 12 minutes each way. But it forces me to get up and go. I workout at 5 AM and I go 5 days a week. I'm back home at 7 and get the boys up for school. It's very routine. If I didn't have to get up for class I can tell you I would sleep through many a day.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.

Last edited by cmiyachi; 03-09-13 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Another thought
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-13, 08:13 AM  
leslie w
VF Supporter

When I belonged to a gym I would go after work and I would obsess about it all day. Will it be crowded? I hope my favorite treadmill is not being used. I hope I can get through my circuit without being interrupted, I hope nobody ate garlic last night..etc.

After having my kids I quit the gym and never looked back. I invested a lot of money in quality home exercise equipment and videos and I have no problem meeting my goals in the comfort of my basement. Alone!
leslie w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gym, gym membership