Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-13, 04:14 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
Yes! Debbie S. and Mizach are two of the respected VFers who keep tempting me to give TA a chance. Maybe you're right! Maybe TA tricked me into doing her marketing work. Maybe this is the real genius of TA.

(I still can't with this woman though.)
Besides Debbie S and Mizach who I agree are fabulous, there is also Cheryl (momof10). She is like Sylwia, a human robot. But I also know that they are TA Rebels and do other stuff besides TA.
Old 02-03-13, 04:18 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Yes, the many threads about the amazing results (including our respected VFer Debbie S.), plus a sale price led me to buy TA Meta Omni AND her book.

I have and like her Mat workout. But, sad to say, I'll never know the fabulous TA results because I have too much trouble following her workouts. And I did some of the first Omni workout and my bum hip became sore.

I had a Physical Therapist who said that many of the fitness injuries he treated were from kettlebells and Zumba. So, he wouldn't recommend these activities based on his experience.

I LOVE kettlebells, but can't do them do to a non-kettlebell related injury.

ETA: I'd like to add that I have a houseful of things that are Debbie S approved that have worked out well. Let's see, a rice cooker, trail running shoes, walking poles, etc. etc., etc...
Old 02-03-13, 04:18 PM  
raeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Yes, speaking is not Tracy's strong suit. However, she does kick my butt, and her nonsense doesn't discount the way her workouts make me feel so good. We're all intelligent people here - we can like Tracy's workouts without being her blind followers. I love meta but I also just bought paul k's new kettlebell workout.
Ok you said what I was trying to get across far shorter and more eloquently! Haha!
Old 02-03-13, 04:24 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
Yes! Debbie S. and Mizach are two of the respected VFers who keep tempting me to give TA a chance. Maybe you're right! Maybe TA tricked me into doing her marketing work. Maybe this is the real genius of TA.

(I still can't with this woman though.)
Just do her workouts and don't read any of her nonsense articles and you might be singing the praises of TA as well!

I plan on getting Teen Meta. And no...I'm NOT a teenager.
Old 02-03-13, 04:30 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky star View Post
i'm ready...
lol!
Old 02-03-13, 04:50 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeven View Post
Ok you said what I was trying to get across far shorter and more eloquently! Haha!
Aww, raeven, your post was perfect

Here's how I view TA - she is all about the aesthetic - that's her market. To the people who want her marketed look, and she says no kettlebells, then no kbs for them. For me, I'm a laidback kind of person. I don't take everything she says as gospel. I also have ADD (literally,and esp with workouts). If I want to mix a few things up, I'm going to do it. I'm also artistic, and I look at Tracy more as an artist than an intellectual. I don't put anymore stock in one than the other. I appreciate artistic people, and their art, and I appreciate intellectuals, but I don't think either are infallable.

What am I even doing blabbing like this? I'm supposed to be eating my garlic butter popcorn
Old 02-03-13, 04:52 PM  
pixie9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
I did not see the other thread. I hate to admit this, but I agree with a few of TA's comments re kettle bells, and how they can cause injury unless you learn proper form (if that is what she actually said).

The way I view TA is that she is one of the lucky few who are persistent and fearless (about trying to achieve success at any cost and no matter what anyone thinks of you), and who lack the education and knowledge that should be prerequisites to training other people in fitness.

Some of her exercises may work for some people, and some people may get injured from them.

Some people might be able to read a book and buy a tooth drill and be able to make fillings in other people's teeth, even though they never went to dental school. Some people might feel okay about taking a friend's recommendation that their filling is great, and other people won't believe that the person knows enough to be filling teeth. I am in the latter group; I think education and knowledge behind what you do and say are important.
I don't post here often but I just wanted to say that I LOVED LOVED LOVED this post. Thank you!
Old 02-03-13, 04:57 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I think she's right about needing to be very careful with form when it comes to doing kettlebell exercises. These are different than weights, IMO, in terms of being able to pick up a routine on the fly and still do it with proper form. As to the bulking comments - well, that's the same as always when it comes to TA.

She's definitely loosened up over time when it comes to doing other types of workouts in addition to hers. I think this is because she realizes that a lot of her top clients want to mix it up more than her method strictly allows. The only things she's been consistent about are 1) not doing things that are meant to add lots of muscle mass (in her words, bulking), and 2) not doing a ton of repetition - especially of exercises that focus on the large muscle groups almost exclusively. I personally am a fan of #2 because I find that not taking this advice has real adverse effects on my flexibility, ROM, and ability to do exercises that do require engaging lots of smaller muscle groups.
Old 02-03-13, 05:10 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm ready...
Save some popcorn for me!
Old 02-03-13, 08:07 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I am not familiar with all of the VFers who are fans of TA's, but those that I do know (from years of reading their posts at VF) have not been exclusive to TA, and do other types of exercise in addition to TA. Most of the people I know who started TA, already had a good base fitness level. So, when I read that people had good results from TA, I believe it in the sense that the exercises may have enhanced or modified what was already there (as opposed to causing a huge body transformation).
Closed Thread

Tags
instructor bashing, kettlebells, loose skin, skin brushing, tracy anderson