Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-12, 12:10 AM  
Westcoaster

I have gotten a couple of CDs from Health Journeys. When I went to check it out for you, I happened across the article just written this week on the site by Belleruth Naperstek, the person who's CDs I like a lot- and the article is about insomnia....

http://www.belleruthnaparstek.com/in...-to-sleep.html.

I go thru periods of insomnia ( bad) and then it stops, but thru it all I've use her CDs. I recommend them highly,. Someone once told me that it's the person's voice that you either connect with -- or not- and having had lots of CDs for this - and other purposes, I do believe that. And I would say, that since you can hear lots of CDs ( small clips of them) on YouTube, to look up a particular person, close your eyes, and see what you feel...

Hope this helps..

Mary
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 03:13 AM  
JanaK

Hemalaya Behl: Yoga for urban living has an "evening bath" yoga routine that is very relaxing.

Not a dvd, but what helps me fall asleep is the sunset setting of my biobrite alarm clock. The light slowly gets dimmer until it's off over 15 minutes.

My problem isn't getting to sleep, it is getting woken up by my dachshund in the middle of the night!
Old 12-23-12, 04:12 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i didn't acquire the ability to relax right away - it took some practice. i think the Jack Kornfield CD really helped me get into a meditative state. after about 1 week of 30 min practices, i found i could quiet my mind almost on cue. and now, when i do the breathing patterns, i can instantly feel the cells in my body begin to slow down. we did a 1-month meditation check-in here on VF that was really helpful too.

the ability to get into a meditative state was the key to solving my sleep issues. the meditation helped in other aspects of my life, especially with anxiety and building confidence again.

trying different ones is a good way to see what would work for you. i followed the suggestions that people her on VF recommended for the Barbara Benagh DVD.

as for the CDs, i did a search at our library. i already had the Alan Finger CD set, but i wanted to try others. i also used Amazon reviews as a guide for selecting what to try from our library. the library had many other options besides what Amazon was carrying. the library is a good source because you can hear the entire recording.

search terms that i used were:

meditation
sleep
insomnia
breathing
relaxation
guided meditation
self hypnosis
stress relief

all of the above with words such as CD, Compact disc, audio, sound disc helped identify CDs in their collection.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 05:01 AM  
Fit Gal

Thanks so much! I'm going to check out my library today.
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-12, 01:48 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit Gal View Post
Thanks so much! I'm going to check out my library today.
good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
coming in the mail for christmas :
Gaiam Stress Relief
Gaiam Breathe (with Rodney Yee)
the Breathe CD came in the mail yesterday - i was pleasantly surprised that there's actually 2 CDs in this set. i bought it used on Amazon, so i was able to listen to it right away (even though it's for christmas, i gave myself permission to check for scratches!)

with many of the better CDs and audios, it's amazing how many ways you can observe your breath, yourself, your perceptions about "nagging issues", physical feelings.... all while trying to simply focus on your breath and breathing.

this Rodney one that i just previewed has interesting suggestions on observing your breath.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 01:26 AM  
imhere2dance

How about Wai Lana's Rest and Relax CD?
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 05:39 AM  
wellnesswife

I think there is a yoga Dvd you can do in bed? Anyone have this?
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 08:36 PM  
Fit Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellnesswife View Post
I think there is a yoga Dvd you can do in bed? Anyone have this?
This sounds interesting as well. Anyone have this one? Thanks
Old 12-30-12, 08:39 PM  
sherry7899

The dvd was literally called "yoga in bed" and there was also a book with the same title.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Bed-20-As...ds=yoga+in+bed

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 08:41 PM  
Fit Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
The dvd was literally called "yoga in bed" and there was also a book with the same title.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Bed-20-As...ds=yoga+in+bed

Sherry
Thanks Sherry

Tags
alan finger, insomnia, meditation, sleep, sleep help, stress relief