Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-12, 01:20 PM  
SpiritSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
Wow, you ladies impress me!! Workout videos are my one and only addiction. I could NEVER go cold turkey with a no buy. LOL. I have given up all sugar, caffeine, alcohol and I only eat healthy foods. That was all relatively easy compared to giving up buying new workouts.
Oh my goodness. If someone could get me to give up sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and junk food, I would gladly give up buying new workouts. I bet my extra weight would just melt off!!
Old 12-01-12, 01:23 PM  
sherry7899

I'm not sure when I"m starting-I may wait until 12/25, and then abstain for two months. (which happens to then land on my birthday in February) There are a few things I might or might not receive by favorite instructors, and I admit to wanting to get them before starting a no buy. These are things I planned for ages ago, though. (does that help my feeble reasoning )

I don't drink, so no alcohol is easy...I don't drink soda or coffee, and could just always have decaf tea-however giving up sugar and caffeine that happens to be in chocolate-not happening! Cheryl, I bow down to you!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 02:36 PM  
wellnesswife

Ok I'm in! No workouts or equipment!
wellnesswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-12, 06:19 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
Oh my goodness. If someone could get me to give up sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and junk food, I would gladly give up buying new workouts. I bet my extra weight would just melt off!!
The thing is, I absolutely LOVE working out. I don't ever see myself ever giving that up and I love new workouts. Once you give up sugar, soda or even diet soda, caffeine, alcohol and junk food, your cravings for that kind of stuff goes away. That being said, I guess, if I gave up working out, my desire for new workouts would go away, too. LOL

Cheryl
Old 12-02-12, 03:44 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I'm in, sorta. I'll probably buy two systems in 2013, but that's it. For me, that is abstinence.

My husband and I recently decided to quit our three-year membership at a kettlebell studio after its monthly fee crept up to $250. (We were both burned out on it, anyway, and needed more variety.) For the past month, we've been kettlebell training/weight training at home 3x week and continuing with yoga classes. It's working out well.

Here's the weird thing: now that I'm buying for two, I can no longer justify buying any more workout DVDs unless it's something we'll both enjoy. As it is, I have a zillion workouts DVDs I'm having trouble squeezing in on my own time because DH won't do them (mostly high impact circuit training/cardio stuff). There's no point in buying more workouts solely for myself when I can't easily get to the workouts I already own & love. So, oddly, 2013 will probably be a very restrained spending year even though I have more money to spend.

Also, I'm gradually turning my focus less on exercise & more on food intake these days.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 03:59 PM  
keilan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I'm in, sorta. I'll probably buy two systems in 2013, but that's it. For me, that is abstinence.
You totally qualify. NoraKate's target date is February 1, 2013 and she's the thread/challenge creator. That's only 2 months away. Baby steps! I may not last all of 2013 but I can do 2 months.
keilan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 04:31 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan00 View Post
You totally qualify. NoraKate's target date is February 1, 2013 and she's the thread/challenge creator. That's only 2 months away. Baby steps! I may not last all of 2013 but I can do 2 months.
THAT I can handle! ... Baby steps, indeed!
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-12, 10:20 PM  
Fit Gal

I am having heart palpitations when I think about this cold turkey idea

Here's my "plan". I will try..emphasize "try" to not buy anything until Dec. 30th

. ..Marys having a year end sale Dec 30th-Jan1
My pre orders that I've made don't count. Trades don't count.

E.T.A. On second thought... maybe I'll go week to week.
So for now.. I will try to go cold turkey until next Sunday.. tiny tiny baby steps indeed!!
Fit Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 12:52 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I will do my best to not buy. I have already cut down significantly on my DVD buying. I did not buy the Les Mills Combat or Ilaria's new workouts, haven't bought Ultimate Yogi or anything on Mary's sale. I did pre-order Cathe's, but that was a while ago.

I need to go cold turkey on buying clothes. The great holiday sales are hard to resist. And my clothes motivate me to exercise. I want to make sure I can fit into them.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-12, 03:56 AM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
THAT I can handle! ... Baby steps, indeed!
you'll do fine

Tags
no buy