Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-29-12, 06:29 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Who on earth has a 5 pound kettlebell?

People would be far better off buying some decent-sized bells and learning how to execute real KB moves.
I do! I find it makes a great door stop! Hee hee...

No, I bought my first KB at Walmart, it was a Danskin kit that came with Gin Miller's Calorie Burner Kettlebell workout. I never actually tried the workout and SASEd it away.

I think Gin Miller is a fine instructor but I don't really click with her at all. So Swing Yourself Fit isn't one I would be interested in anyways.

I have a couple KB workouts, one heavy and one light, it's all I need. My kettlebells are not super heavy either, 7, 10 and 15 pounds. Maybe I will get heavier ones one day but these are fine right now.

I will say that the lighter KBs are okay for some ab work....at least they are for me.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 06:54 AM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
And, umm, I have a 5 pound kb. It came with the Firm workout I got years ago.
I second that! I never use the thing (even for the Firm kbell workout which I do enjoy but use 10# with) but it's so cute and purple

Now that I've been doing more "real" kettlebell workouts (AOS, RKS,etc.) I am not enjoying my kettlebell lite workouts as much although I am enjoying Katami. This Gin Miller one did not appeal to me at all. I've gotten used to working out with my 25# and 20# and just got my 35# for swings! It's hard to go back to 10-15# after that. LOL

I admittedly picked up the Kathy Smith one a couple of years ago...that wasn't a good use of $$ either
Old 09-29-12, 10:54 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Who on earth has a 5 pound kettlebell? ...
Gin seems to have developed this workout with Empower brand's new adjustable kettlebell specifically in mind. It's not very heavy, even with all the weight pieces attached. (5, 8 or 12 pounds)

Quote:
People would be far better off buying some decent-sized bells and learning how to execute real KB moves.
I'm guessing this is a marketing thing, a lighter bell is less intimidating, maybe?
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 02:01 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Who on earth has a 5 pound kettlebell?

So many times I’ve read on many threads that people have different opinions on instructors and types of exercises and someone will chime in and say something positive like that’s the beauty of so many choices.

I find your comment of “Who on earth has a 5 pound kettlebell?" very condescending. There are others beside myself who have purchased Kathy Smith’s Kettlebell Solution, which contained a 3 and 5 pound kettlebell (which I do not use as a door stop.)

There are some of us that like “kettlebell light” DVDs. Not everyone is interested in Skogg or RKS. Although I own both systems I actually prefer the “kettlebell light” workouts.

I agree Kathy Smith and Gin Miller's form isn't the best; but after watching the tutorials from Skogg, RKS, Andrea DuCane, and Lauren Brooks I know enough to modify if I feel an exercise is not safe.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 02:09 PM  
dnna

I have a 4, a 5 and a 7 pound kettlebell. Two I think are from the Firm, one is from the kettlenetics package.
I like the workouts that they were packaged with, and the weight is fine by me and my iffy shoulder does not protest too much.
I also like using a lite kettlebell for workouts that call for a weighted ball, it is easier for me to use the kettlebell with a nice grip around the handle, rather than trying to hold onto the ball. Holding a weighted ball absolutely kills my hands/wrists
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 02:15 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I also like using a lite kettlebell for workouts that call for a weighted ball, it is easier for me to use the kettlebell with a nice grip around the handle, rather than trying to hold onto the ball. Holding a weighted ball absolutely kills my hands/wrists
What a fabulous idea...I never thought of using a kettlebell instead of a weighted ball. Thanks for the tip!

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 02:19 PM  
Donna D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I have a 4, a 5 and a 7 pound kettlebell. Two I think are from the Firm, one is from the kettlenetics package.
I like the workouts that they were packaged with, and the weight is fine by me and my iffy shoulder does not protest too much.
I have 3, 4, 5, 8, and 10 pound kettlebells. I too use as a substitute for a medicine ball, much better for my hands and wrists when I have a carpal tunnel flare-up.
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 02:25 PM  
boukilisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I thought the same thing. The bell looks very light. The workout also got pretty good reviews.
Where did you see the good reviews? I'd like to see what other people are saying. I've only seen one very brief positive review at Collage that went up after I started this thread. It's not detailed, so it doesn't help me at all. (The one VFer who posted on this thread about doing the workout felt a lot of back and shoulder strain. So she sent it back.)

I also like KB lite workouts a lot. (I generally use 10# and 12# with Paul Katami, Michelle Olson, Angie Miller). I'm concerned about the moves in this workout because they are WAY different than other KB lite workouts. I don't know enough to know if they are just different or if they are back, shoulder and joint-risky. Some of them sure look that way.
Old 09-29-12, 02:59 PM  
PhyllisG

Collage. Calorie Burning Kettlebell I think is the title. It has 66 reviews. The other one has only 1 review.

Oops Calorie Burning is her old one.

Last edited by PhyllisG; 09-29-12 at 03:08 PM. Reason: adding
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-12, 03:07 PM  
boukilisa

Quote:
The other one has only 1 review
That's the one I'm curious about. It only has one very vague review. Thanks anyway!

Tags
gin miller, swing yourself fit