Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-12, 01:18 PM  
cherimac

Susan~I'm always embarrassed because for my height (5'2") I think my triceps look too big. Not masculine big by any means, but bigger than I want them to look. And, I use 3-5 pounds for them (used to go heavier) and no change at all. The grass is always greener, eh???
Old 07-13-12, 01:21 PM  
wlorrie

I don't (can't) do these myself, but pull ups/chin ups seem to work this area well. Everyone I know who does these on a regular basis has awesome triceps.

You are your own worst critic. I'm sure you ladies look fine!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 01:22 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Oh Susan I share your misery. All I can say is be thankful if it is relegated to the back of your arm. In the last year the family batwings have come to claim my arms.

Only I have it all down to the elbows, where it hangs and jiggles, and a disgusting bag of CRAP hanging under my forearms. There is a line down the ulnar side of my arm and then this hanging bladder and I hate it. It's genetic. I have a sepia toned photo in a frame of my Aunt's wedding. In a row are my Nana, my Ma and Aunt K and it looks like Forearm Flab Through the Generations - gross, grosser and grossest.

Yet my arms are muscular, when I flex I can see the muscles. And the deltoid area doesn't look bad. But don't dare me to clap at a concert because people sitting next to me are in danger of being flogged to death. I'm at my goal weight, too.

-------------------------------------

That said, I have been taking workout "spark breaks" at work and doing things I can do in my office for 5-10 minutes, like pushups off the desk, marching in place, the usual aerobics warmups moves. I found some free videos on YouTube by Tracy Anderson. I tried a nine minute one this morning, awful quality and she seems to be so full of herself but at this point I'll try anything.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 01:31 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Susan~I'm always embarrassed because for my height (5'2") I think my triceps look too big. Not masculine big by any means, but bigger than I want them to look. And, I use 3-5 pounds for them (used to go heavier) and no change at all. The grass is always greener, eh???
I'm in a similar boat. I'm about 5'4" and in good shape - my triceps skin does't have much of a jiggle (yet) but my arms overall look HUGE. They're just thick. But there's nothing to be done - when I was 16 and anorexic, and weighted 96 lbs, then my arms looked "slender." But the rest of me was skeletal.

Aw, First World problems, we have them.
Old 07-13-12, 01:33 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
DNA is cruel stuff. Genetics will slap you upside the face with a cold wet fish just because it can.
Oh well, if you're going to go there I'll join you in your whine fest.
Old 07-13-12, 01:34 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I have my mother's triceps. It's the Portuguese. Like a lot of you, it will hang like a mass of nothing if I don't work it hard. I mean really hard. Isometric exercises like the arm work for Callenetics and TA's unweighted arm work helps quite a bit, too.

Susan, you can lift quite a bit more for triceps than biceps. In fact, you should lift pretty closely to what you can for bench presses.

The picture below was taken last September on my 54th birthday. It was my avatar for awhile. My results were from a combination of bodyweight circuits, kettlebell circuits, and a combination of both. I'll take pictures on my birthday this September. I've added TA's work, and I do think that my triceps are even a bit tighter:

Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 01:49 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
DNA is cruel stuff. Genetics will slap you upside the face with a cold wet fish just because it can.
oh man, that is so hilarious and true! Everybody has their battles don't they? I bet you guys look amazing though!

And Debbie S., you most definitely look amazing!!! Definitely something to aspire to!
Old 07-13-12, 01:51 PM  
jahra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I have my mother's triceps. It's the Portuguese.
Debbie, never fear. I also have Portuguese genes (both sides of the
family) and I found a solution.

Theresa Tapp has an exercise where you place your arms out extended to the side palm up. Gently place both arms back slightly and raise palms up and
down. It really target the batwings. Between weight training and
this ttapp move, mine are behaving..

Of course ,giving up chorico (pork fat rules-Emeril) sandwiches and
substituting soy chorico has helped a lot.

And walking by the Portuguese bakery(and all pastry shops) has helped too.
Old 07-13-12, 01:55 PM  
mandie123

Oh yea that's a prob area for me too,and I've worked out for many years.Even when I look at female weight lifters that are older some of them have that tricep thing going on.Hate it and with it so hot here you really have to wear tank tops.I have taken to wearing those crop sweaters half sleeve sometimes to cover but dang! Debbie,I think has the best looking arms I've seen so far on anyone over 50 or prob 40!
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 02:13 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Debbie, I've never understood why most video workouts use less weight for triceps than biceps. I can easily use the same weight for equal sets, or even go heavier for triceps; but rare is the workout that actually HAS equal sets... there's almost always an extra couple sets for bis compared to tris. Which would seem that you could go even heavier with tris, but no one does; not even Cathe.

Given the same number of reps, I can lift as much with tris as bis pretty easily and yep, often more.

But they sure don't LOOK the same! lol. It's not unlike my belly skin being loose, except MY UPPER ARMS WERE NEVER PREGNANT. My belly has the "stretched out to HERE three times" excuse. My tricep area doesn't!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loose skin, triceps