Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-12, 11:44 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I really like the Powerfit workouts. I find the strength workouts to be great for travel, and I like to add them on to other short strength workouts. They are very versatile.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 11:52 AM  
donnamp

hi - I did several rotations with the "Harmonies" when they first came out -I often doubled up on them by doing at least 40 minutes a day (either 2 Harmony workouts or a Harmony & Something else) - they were great - very little dread factor, but not wimpy at all - especially if you double up on bands and use a step for the cardio. They are still in my collection as "go-to" workouts and for future rotations.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:48 PM  
KathAL79

I agree that the PowerFits are not for true beginners. Stephanie assumes you know basic aerobics terms, and I also agree the combination moves are going to be tricky for those who are still mastering basic strength moves (in other words, if you're still worried about making sure you're sitting back properly, your knees are going over your toes, your weight is in your heels, etc., while you're squatting, adding another move on top of that is asking a lot).

I just finished three rounds of all three PowerFit sets. They were perfect for getting be back into the exercise groove and helping me build some strength and endurance back up. The low impact was also really good for helping me get over some PF, too.

I wish I had gotten these sooner. I wouldn't have taken as long a hiatus from working out regularly if I had these handy. It's nice to have 20 minute workouts that really are 20 minutes and that can be done at a beg./int. level or bumped up a notch as needed.

I'm ready to move on to something different, but I'll keep them around, for those times when I'm ill, when I'm restarting after another break, when I want some add-ons (those cardio ones are great for post-weights cardio add-ons, when you don't want anything too hard or too complicated because you're already tired), if I'm traveling and don't want something that's going to need a lot of room in my suitcase (you just need a band and sneakers) and in the hotel room - plus who wants a super hard workout for those days after you've walked all over town?, and so on.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 03:30 PM  
Sara1000

Most people on this forum don't have a clue what it's like to be a true beginner.

A while back I tried doing a simple Leslie workout with a friend who had been an avid cyclist but had given it up. It was her first workout DVD. The simple moves that Leslie teaches so faithfully at the beginning of every workout really threw her off! It was comical but I managed not to laugh!

I remember the first time I attended an aerobics class I really struggled with a grapevine, and just trying to follow along and do everything the instructor was doing at the same time whe was doing it.

I am never concerned with a workout being described as a beginner workout if it's something I think will fit into my regimen - I know I can make any workout suit my level whether I have to modify up or down.
Sara1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 05:07 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Most people on this forum don't have a clue what it's like to be a true beginner.
I don't think that's true and I think that takes away from too many people that have worked hard to get where they are at! So many people, even VF members started from nothing with as you say, a grape vine being complex. So many have had accidents or serious illness/inuries that have forced them to start from scratch again. Maybe they can pick up the choreography but their bodies are too week even for Beginner/Intermediate combo workouts.

To lump "most people" into "not having a clue" is a pretty strong leap. Considering we only know each other from what we're willing to share, it's hard to say with any level of insight what someone has or has not experienced. Don't be so quick to jump to a conclusion based on a few pages from the entire book.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 05:20 PM  
cherimac

I love these workouts. I'm a solid intermediate and have used heavier bands, weights, step, etc. I can modify them up or down. They're definitely gems.

Kath~I use these workouts every time I travel and still want to exercise~they're perfect for that.
Old 06-11-12, 06:54 PM  
Sara1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
I don't think that's true and I think that takes away from too many people that have worked hard to get where they are at! So many people, even VF members started from nothing with as you say, a grape vine being complex. So many have had accidents or serious illness/inuries that have forced them to start from scratch again. Maybe they can pick up the choreography but their bodies are too week even for Beginner/Intermediate combo workouts.

To lump "most people" into "not having a clue" is a pretty strong leap. Considering we only know each other from what we're willing to share, it's hard to say with any level of insight what someone has or has not experienced. Don't be so quick to jump to a conclusion based on a few pages from the entire book.
Perhaps I should have said MANY people on this forum don't remember what it's like to be a true beginner.

My impression is most VFrs have been doing workout videos for a long time. Of course there are some who are new to the whole experience. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

The point I was trying to make is I think sometimes workouts are labeled as Beginner that a true beginner would really struggle with.
Sara1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 07:02 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Ok...I realize this thread is about PowerFit Harmony but how does it compare to PowerFit Original? Harmony has more DVDs, 10 vs 5 for the original. Which system do you like better? I would say I am back at beginner level, and would like to get back to intermediate level eventually but am fine staying there. I would think maybe Harmony might be better for me, because I could outgrow the original quickly.

I also looked at PowerFit Plus which is available at Collage but that only has 2 workouts so I probably won't consider that one.

Ok...enable me!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 07:30 PM  
Arielle96

I love all of the Powerfits!! They have ZERO dread factor and Stephanie is such an upbeat lead. They definitely have their place in my fitness library.
Arielle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 07:35 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Perhaps I should have said MANY people on this forum don't remember what it's like to be a true beginner.

My impression is most VFrs have been doing workout videos for a long time. Of course there are some who are new to the whole experience. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

The point I was trying to make is I think sometimes workouts are labeled as Beginner that a true beginner would really struggle with.
I would agree--this seems to be a "seasoned exerciser" type of forum. Even the "Starting Out with Videos" section of this website is pretty inactive. Most of the threads as of late have been focused on pretty intense workout systems and how to rotate or hybrid two or more programs. I do't see too many "Help! I'm just starting out!" type of threads.

I have lent out my Powerfits to beginners and the nuances of the workouts have them baffled. My neighbor has borrowed Leslies and she feels like she has "two left feet".

Jackie
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, power fit, power fit harmony, power fit plus, powerfit, powerfit harmony, powerfit plus, step without a step, stephanie huckabee, travel workouts