Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-12, 03:50 PM  
mandie123

Scorpio6-Those are the exercises they've had me doing in PT(painful knee and hip) and also the clam with band around legs
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 04:54 PM  
yahoo205

i would try to see a physical therapist. strengthening/rehabbing the knees would be really helpful.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 07:33 PM  
videofit

I come from a family where everyone has bad knees but no one is overweight. Margaret Richard has really helped me strengthen my knees with her half squats and floor work. Her stuff is very joint friendly which is important to me.
Old 03-19-12, 08:04 PM  
bfit

I used to have problems with squats and lunges too, but I gradually came to realize that I was not using completely proper form. For the lunge thinking of the motion as up and down like an elevator was very helpful to me - the focus is up and down on the glute and not forward and backward so that the knee is moving forward toward your toes. On the squat thinking about sitting down in a chair was also useful to me. Again, the action is in the glutes so that the glutes are going back and down, and it's not just your knees going up and down. You can actually do squats using a chair too - just sit down and stand back up.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 12:56 AM  
ilovemybirds

Thank you SO much, everybody! You gave me all kinds of good ideas! I hated the thought of totally giving up squats and lunges, because some of the workouts I really like have them (like some of the Firm workouts and the Booty Barre workouts), so I will try some of these ideas.
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 10:59 AM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Another thought: do you do plenty of knee stretches? Several years ago, I suddenly started having knee problems so I went to a PT. She emphasized how important knee stretches are to relieving pain. I now do 20 minutes of stretches (not all for the knee but quite a few) at the end of all my workouts. On days when I don't workout, I'll at least do those 20 minutes of stretches. I haven't had knee problems since I've been doing them.

There are lots of knee stretches shown on YouTube.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 07:00 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Beckwith View Post
Another thought: do you do plenty of knee stretches? Several years ago, I suddenly started having knee problems so I went to a PT. She emphasized how important knee stretches are to relieving pain. I now do 20 minutes of stretches (not all for the knee but quite a few) at the end of all my workouts. On days when I don't workout, I'll at least do those 20 minutes of stretches. I haven't had knee problems since I've been doing them.

There are lots of knee stretches shown on YouTube.
I never ever thought of this. thank you!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knee strengthening, knees, lunges, modifications