Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-12, 02:12 AM  
ilovemybirds

? for those who don't do squats and lunges: How do you maintain muscle in your LB?

I"ve had tweaky knees for years, and every time I do workouts with squats and lunges in them more than once or twice a week, my knees get really achy. I also have odd twinges in my ankles and achilles tendons (I will be asking my doctor about this at my physical this year). The only time squats and lunges don't bother me is when I do the squats and lunges in Margaret Richard's workouts. Her pace is slow enough that the squats and lunges just don't bother me.
I've just about decided to give up on doing squats and lunges, unless I"m doing a Margaret Richard workout. My question is how do I maintain muscle mass in my legs, if I don't do them? By maintaining muscle mass, I don't mean I want large, really muscular legs. I just want my legs to look toned. I've been alternating floorwork and pilates, but is that enough? I also do a lot of Leslie and other low impact cardio for my cardio.
TIA!
ilovemybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 05:27 AM  
goldillocks

Here are some easier modifications for lunges that do not put so much strain on your knee caps
- Smaller Range of Motion - You only lower down halfway without putting pressure on the knees.
- Reverse Lunges
- Step or Platform - Try placing the front foot on a step if regular lunges make your knees ache.
goldillocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 07:14 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybirds View Post
The only time squats and lunges don't bother me is when I do the squats and lunges in Margaret Richard's workouts. Her pace is slow enough that the squats and lunges just don't bother me.
This is me too. The lunges & squats that feel really good and strength-building to me are from (some of) the original FIRM videos, where I hold weights in each hand and move slowly with full range and precision. (I imagine the pace is similar to Richard's videos as you described.) Done correctly and not too often, they also help strengthen my knees. So many newer videos have you doing fast lunges/squats and these are a definite no-no for my knees. In fact the rushed, twisty 'functional' lunges are so prevalent these days I wonder more people don't tweak their knees.

I think floorwork and Pilates are great and I include them as well but for me they don't replace the feeling and appearance I get from classic FIRM standing work. If your knees are all right with it, you might want to consider a couple of Richard-style lunge/squat sessions per week (maybe do half as many as Margaret does, at least for a while), and Pilates 1-2 times as well. Just go slowly, listen to your body and don't overdo it.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 07:40 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemybirds View Post
The only time squats and lunges don't bother me is when I do the squats and lunges in Margaret Richard's workouts. Her pace is slow enough that the squats and lunges just don't bother me.
Then do them slowly. That's becoming a pet peeve of mine: squats and lunges are done too fast in many videos, especially the "express" ones.

Slow squats will help strengthen your knees, by strengthening your larger muscles and taking pressure off them.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:12 AM  
westiemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Then do them slowly. That's becoming a pet peeve of mine: squats and lunges are done too fast in many videos, especially the "express" ones.

Slow squats will help strengthen your knees, by strengthening your larger muscles and taking pressure off them.
Agree! Often I just ignore the pace on the video and do them slowly. Although I don't get sore knees, I like to go really heavy with legs, and feel the burn!

I also will do static lunges instead of regular lunges, if the pace is too fast. Again, gives my legs a chance to really feel it, rather than constantly fixing my foot placement!

Kathy

Disclosure: I am an Independent Beachbody Coach, but I'm only in it for the discount!
westiemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:15 AM  
mommyofjoeyp

Have you tried any barre workouts. I have tweaky knees as well and as long as I make sure I'm using proper form I have never had problems with barre. In fact after doing mostly barre for a year I've tried some squat/lunge heavy workouts (i.e. Tonique) and my knees didn't bother me the way they used to so I think barre has actually helped my knees improve.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:34 AM  
TinaT

I second barre work. I've burned out on lunges and squats. Not just b/c of my knees but it seems to be the go to move all instructors want to use. Barre routines change it up and really works the muscles differently and to exhaustion.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:53 AM  
suegy3

This guy was on the Today Show last week and he said that squats are really good for the knees:

http://www.amazon.com/Athletes-Book-...164973&sr=8-13

When I had knee problems a few years ago, he had me doing leg extensions with a weight around my ankle. You can try that to build up the muscles.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 08:53 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westiemack View Post
I also will do static lunges instead of regular lunges, if the pace is too fast.
See now, I can't do static lunges at all. Something about them really aggravates my knees.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 09:06 AM  
cherimac

Barre work aggravates my knees but squats and lunges don't. It's funny how we're all different. I definitely recommend slowing the pace and adding in some floor work.

Tags
knee strengthening, knees, lunges, modifications