Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-12, 06:23 AM  
cristinalatina

Gym vs Videofitness

So, a dear friend is visiting me, whose brother is a personal trainer. I've known her since forever, but each year she looks younger than the last one! She's always been active - swimming, etc., but during the last year she started going to the gym to lift weights. Well, she claims that nothing even comes close to the results she has obtained. She looks smaller and more toned everywhere.

I have never set foot to a gym. I don't even know how to load the machines. But I was intrigued by her results! I love the exhilaration of video fitness, but I've never seen significant results to speak of.

I'd like to know whether you've got significant results by using the gym. Please let me know as I'm thinking of trying for the first time at the age of 30!I've always been afraid to go because I've had friends who suffered hernias and retinal detachment (the horror!) due to improper training at the gym, and that scares me...
Old 02-16-12, 07:08 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Cristina, as you know there are many VFers here who use videos that have them safely lifting weights (even pretty heavy ones) and using other equipment that get fantastic results, so I'm not sure this has to be one-or-the-other. There are plenty of videos for that purpose, and not all use a lot of equipment.

However, if you're a weightlifting newbie and unsure of your form, etc, it may be best to at least try a gym. That's not to say you'll always find a competent trainer and I've seen plenty of bad form used in gyms too! Over the years I've belonged to a few and they're not for me - I don't enjoy their 'culture': the crowds (at times), the waiting to use equipment, and the people who don't clean up after themselves (). But maybe it's the gyms I've joined... I never could afford the super expensive ones, lol.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 08:53 AM  
DRD0

I belong to the Y so use the pool to swim, and the cardio equipment. I prefer to lift at home and do so.

I think you get results in anything that you do consistently and with good form. If you are not motivated to work out consistently at home, then maybe going to the gym is good for you. It is what works for you.

BTW, 30 is very, very young!
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 09:11 AM  
Sophie

Be a smart consumer and shop around. Don't give in to the pressure to buy a year long membership. See what your options are with regards to trainers and talk to them. If you find you know more about exercise than they do (and you might!) keep shopping. Have a clear ideas of you own goals and expectations while you shop.

I've exercised in gyms AND at home and certainly each has their pros and cons. I'm hesitant to go back to a gym just because it's so noisy and clangy. But they often have....cool toys. I'm thinking of using the fitness centre at work just because they have squat racks and cable machines (I still prefer free weights overall) and for the opportunity to learn new techniques from a trainer. I think it's worth at least visiting a few to see if you even like the atmosphere and the people - both from the business/trainer and the clientele point of view.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 09:48 AM  
zippity

I love the gym, but don't go simply because I can't be arsed to drive there ...I can get the job done in half the time at home, but that's this particular stage in my life.

If you don't want to go to a gym, you can lift weights at home, or you can get good results from bodyweight exercises if you do not have weights. Perhaps you could try a total body weight lifting dvd such as Personal Training with Jackie; Jari Long also has some good dvds that are focused on weight training with dumbells.

If you're not ready for heavy weight lifting, some classic Firm dvds have really stood the test of time regarding toning and conditioning.

The program that got me interested in lifting weights at home was Chalean Xtreme, and there's an option for band work if you don't have weights. The workouts are fairly short and Chalene is a very motivating instructor.

I know there are many more options than the dvds I've mentioned, these are just some of the dvds I own and can recommend.

If you want to go to the gym, maybe start out with a friend or hire a personal trainer until you get comfortable with going to a gym.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:15 AM  
Artist of Eyes

It's about consistency, routine, form, and amount lifted. You can do it from home with paper routines, with DVDs, or at the gym. I have a gym membership when I need a change of scenery but results are results. I've had amazing results at the gym and stellar results are home (Cathe's Gym Styles series comes to mind ).

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:29 AM  
sciencelady

Christina, I love the gym and use it for >90% of my workouts, I'm relatively new to using videos by comparison (and take them to the gym to do them ). I started at the gym very unconditioned and a non-exerciser - I started with cardio equipment just to get my conditioning up to a point where I can survive a 45 minute class at the gym. Then I did cardio (step and kickboxing) classes at the gym and toning classes at the gym (relatively light weights but under the supervision of an instructor so form was corrected). As I became stronger beyond the light weights, I hired a personal trainer for a limited number of sessions to teach me routines I can use on my own in the weight room and proper form for free weight exercises using heavier weights. It was a good investment for me. Now almost ten years later, I consider myself an advanced exerciser, still use a trainer for strength program design, spotting when needed, and keeping my intensity up, but certainly have the knowledge to train myself on my own either at the gym or at home. Still making progress .

As with all exercise programs, do what you love to do and will do consistently - whether it be at home or at the gym- it's all good! There's certainly gym folk that have been "working out" at the gym for years with no visible results, just as with home exercisers. The converse is also true - remarkable results can be achieved at home or at the gym with proper dedication, smart exercise selection, and proper intensity of training to continue to challenge your fitness (and if fat loss is involved as a goal, proper attention to diet).
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:46 AM  
edensmom

Hi Cristina
I worked out at many different gyms and always always always had a gym membership until the birth of my 3 year old (was no longer convenient). As far as muscle definition/toned appearance, my results at home have been far superior. I believe it's because I am working out with qualified experts and challenge myself (adding weight/intensity/trying different types of things). At the gym I didn't have poor results but tended to stick to the same routine (3 day split plus cardio). I hired a trainer but he didn't know any more than I did and it seems that many trainers are this way. I would have loved to find a really skilled personal trainer to work with! Anyway I don't think it matters where you work out. As long as you are not complacent in your workout. Personally I am yearning to participate in spinning class and zumba, maybe water aerobics etc...so I would love to go back to the gym.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 10:50 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

What are you doing now and how will a gym workout be different? A lot of results are down to diet. Sometimes it's also good to be accountable to someone such as a trainer. It's not the gym itself that gives you the results, but what you do there.

If you want to try weight lifting, using a trainer for a while might be a good idea. I'm thinking of going to a gym so I can use the back machines. I can't seem to really work my back at home.

Look around for trial memberships, even if they're more expensive than a long term one.
Old 02-16-12, 11:46 AM  
Hazel Porter

I think a trainer can also push you harder than you will push yourself (whether at home or working out alone at the gym). Even my trainer admits she doesn't push herself as hard unless she's got someone watching her! My trainer also is great about mixing up my program (sets/reps as well as exercises and splits) so that I'm constantly challenged. On my own, I'm more likely to just go to my handful of favorite workouts.

I've gotten back to the gym in the last year and really seen changes in my body again for the first time since having my kids ten years ago. I still use my videos for cardio, for resistance training over the weekends (the gym is downtown across from my office, but not convenient to my home), and just for a change of pace when I need it.

Don't be afraid of the gym! They're not all alike, so you have to find one that suits your personality. Many have offers to let you try the gym for a week before you have to commit to anything, and in this economy, many are offering better deals in terms of not having to sign long-term contracts or being able to go month-to-month or use a punch card, etc. Invest in a trainer for a couple of sessions (some gyms will even offer several free sessions with a trainer to new members) so you feel comfortable around the weight room. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Tags
gym membership