Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-12, 04:08 PM  
serenity130

I too love this system. I wasn't even interested in it and then I decided to give it a try and am so glad I did because I love it. The music is awesome. I love the barbell work as well as using the plates on their own. I don't find the squats or lunges hard on my knees either. The lunges are all done in a split stance so you are not stepping out to lunge which is usually what bothers my knees.
serenity130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 04:13 PM  
serenity130

Ann1964 - they use the barbell for most of the tracks in the workout. There are a few that they use only the plates. They also show a modifier who doesn't have any weight on the barbell and sometimes uses the barbell as a tripod (it is out in front of them and they are just holding on to it) for some tracks.
Old 02-04-12, 04:32 PM  
SpiritSong

Now I am definitely considering this system. Question: Do you need a step for the basic program (not the deluxe)? I see they use a step in the infomercial (like a weight bench), but it looks like it is just an option.

Second question: It looks like something DH might use, but the infomercial has some corny stuff coming out of the instructors ("Tell your fat to GET LOST!"). Does the motivation talk sound less cheesy when you're actually doing the workout?

If this keeps getting great reviews on VF, I'll show DH the infomercial and ask for it for my birthday in April with the understanding that it's really for the both of us.
Old 02-04-12, 04:42 PM  
14yrbeliever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
Now I am definitely considering this system. Question: Do you need a step for the basic program (not the deluxe)? I see they use a step in the infomercial (like a weight bench), but it looks like it is just an option.

Second question: It looks like something DH might use, but the infomercial has some corny stuff coming out of the instructors ("Tell your fat to GET LOST!"). Does the motivation talk sound less cheesy when you're actually doing the workout?

If this keeps getting great reviews on VF, I'll show DH the infomercial and ask for it for my birthday in April with the understanding that it's really for the both of us.
You do not need the step; it is optional for bench press.

As for the cheesy talk, there is some, BUT you can play just the music during the actual workout sections so this seriously minimizes the amount of cheese you are exposed to.

I love Body Pump live classes and I love these DVDs (the two long ones are just like a BP class--55 min long, and the 45 min long DVD is like a live Body Pump "express" class at the Y).

I think you and your DH would like them, but I'm a bit biased, obviously.
14yrbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 04:43 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosetooth View Post
Are workouts such as Body Combat, Body Attack available to buy??

I really hate to spend 200 bucks on something that I may not enjoy. Argh!
Yes, you can buy the 3 other dvds separately for $40 ..I'm thinking of buying this from Mary at www.totalfitnessdvds.com on her beachbody link but not sure who leads the workouts.

•LES MILLS STEP
Burn more fat and get strong, toned legs and butt with this high-intensity, full-body power routine. (30 minutes)
•LES MILLS SPORTS ATTACK
Fire your energy systems for maximum fat burning. Challenging sports drills push you to your limits for major calorie burn. (30 minutes)
•LES MILLS COMBAT
Get rock-hard arms, legs, and butt as you strike, punch, and kick your way to a strong body. This one's a calorie scorcher. (45 minutes)

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.net/Prod...=LMPumpDlxDVDs
Old 02-04-12, 04:45 PM  
serenity130

You don't need a step for the basic set at all. It is only an option to use it as a weight bench for a few tracks (chest and sometimes the tricep ones) where you are doing the exercises on the floor. You can do those tracks on the floor or use a step or weight bench if you have one or prefer using it. For the deluxe set, there is only workout that uses the step.

I think the motivation talk is less cheesy when you are doing the workout because I don't really remember it that much or didn't pay much attention to it. I usually ended up focusing on the move or the music and just listened to the cues.
Old 02-04-12, 05:31 PM  
Pie
VF Supporter

I avoided these threads but decided to check out the clip at bb. Now, I really want these. Maybe after I finish my current rotation. I wish that they offered the DVDs without the equipment. I already have a barbell. This looks like something that I would enjoy.......... Decisions.

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-12, 06:19 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

DH and I just finished the Body Pump Challenge dvd. Wow. Looks easy when I was watching DH, but then when it was my turn to do it...Legs were shaking and muscles burning. I was thinking of skipping the Challenge dvd and heading straight for the workouts, but now I think I may work with just the Challenge dvd for a week or so before progressing.

When the song "Somebody's Watching Me" came on, DH said, "I love this song!" The music really makes this set great and the varying tempos of the reps means no dread.
Old 02-04-12, 06:38 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
This is going to sound strange, but in the workouts how much do they put the barbell behind the neck. I am deformed or something and cannot do. I guess no flexibility or something?..
In the NROL for Abs book, Schuler and Cosgrove no longer advocate resting the barbell behind the neck. They say it's bad for the back in the long run. They advocate a front squat with the barbell held at the collar bone area. If you can hold the BB in that position, you should still be able to do the workouts.

My guess is that they made up lots including the barbell and plates along with the dvds. Maybe they thought everybody would need those. Now they know differently. After they sell this set of lots, maybe they will make up new ones with just the dvds alone. They would still make money and shipping would be easier and cheaper.
Old 02-04-12, 09:13 PM  
Vee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Yes, you can buy the 3 other dvds separately for $40 ..I'm thinking of buying this from Mary at www.totalfitnessdvds.com on her beachbody link but not sure who leads the workouts.

•LES MILLS STEP
Burn more fat and get strong, toned legs and butt with this high-intensity, full-body power routine. (30 minutes)
•LES MILLS SPORTS ATTACK
Fire your energy systems for maximum fat burning. Challenging sports drills push you to your limits for major calorie burn. (30 minutes)
•LES MILLS COMBAT
Get rock-hard arms, legs, and butt as you strike, punch, and kick your way to a strong body. This one's a calorie scorcher. (45 minutes)

http://www.totalfitnessdvds.net/Prod...=LMPumpDlxDVDs
I don't have these DVDs, and if Les Mills classes were not so conveniently available at gyms here, I would order these with no hesitation. BodyStep which is what I think Les Mills Step is based on, has easy to pick up choreography and is my favorite way to step. People who like more choreography may not find this so appealing. Or perhaps the music and high energy would make up. The live class formats of Attack and Combat are about 50 minutes but a shorter version is also appealing to me because they are easier to fit in on busy days.

Bodybalance is genius. It is choreographed to be more flowy than vinyasa yoga so it feels almost like dance. At the same time, the choreography is simple and the moves are never so tricky that you feel graceless. It is a great way to work on flexibility and balance and has a few strength challenges including an abs track usually. I hope they make a DVD with beach body.

RPM classes are fantastic for spinning. The music rocks. Usually the entire class including instructor are so drenched by the end, they look like they stepped into a shower clothed. A great non impact, intense Cardio workout and leg workout rolled into one. I do not ever plan to get a spin cycle for home, but I would never join a gym now that I have experienced RPM, unless the gym offers RPM.

Although I don't like high rep weight training, I still end up doing occasional Pump workouts if I have a gym membership, because of the fun factor.

Les Mills and Chalene changed my standards for workouts. Pumping music, energy and fun are now mandatory for me to consider doing a workout.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barbell, beachbody, beachbody clip failure, beachbody injuries, body pump, danskin, les mills, les mills body pump, les mills pump, pump